PDA

View Full Version : Short vs Feature head to head

Patrick Wiley
05-06-2013, 11:29 PM
I wanted to hold another vote for medium with only the two most popular options on the table. Although Feature film came out as a winner there was strong support for a short film. Some key people, felt we should start with a short as a proof of concept for this highly experimental production style. This includes Nick, who I'd like to once again thank for organizing this project.

With that in mind lets do a head to head vote.

Anonymous Filmmaker
05-07-2013, 02:54 AM
I think that we should start with a short and then expand if the short works out well.

myownself
05-07-2013, 09:21 AM
I'm all about doing a feature, but I agree that it wouldn't be such a bad idea to make the short first.

Kevin
05-07-2013, 09:42 AM
Okay, that is VERY head to head...heh

Patrick Wiley
05-07-2013, 10:25 AM
Is anyone else not seeing a poll here? Wonder what I did to screw that up. Should I redo this? I can't create the poll using "Update"

myownself
05-07-2013, 11:18 AM
I see the poll.

Anonymous Filmmaker
05-07-2013, 11:40 AM
I see the poll.

Yes, me too, but I almost missed it. I read the post, and then scrolled down, but it is at the very top.

Patrick Wiley
05-07-2013, 11:54 AM
Ah, there it is, very subtle, ha ha.

As much as I'd like to dive into a feature I have to admit that it makes sense to do a short as proof of concept. If we make a short then that might help us get funding for a feature.

Anonymous Filmmaker
05-07-2013, 11:56 AM
Ah, there it is, very subtle, ha ha.

As much as I'd like to dive into a feature I have to admit that it makes sense to do a short as proof of concept. If we make a short then that might help us get funding for a feature.

Well now if we're doing a documentary, I think I may change my opinion and say just go with the feature. We can release a trailer mid-way if we run out of funding.

Patrick Wiley
05-07-2013, 12:01 PM
I'm not at all interested in doing a documentary. I do a lot of documentary work already.

Vance Baryn
05-07-2013, 12:04 PM
Yeah me neither. It would have to be a topic that happens to really interest me to do a documentary.

Mark
05-07-2013, 12:13 PM
Voted for short :)

Mark
05-07-2013, 12:16 PM
I'm not at all interested in doing a documentary. I do a lot of documentary work already.

I think, i "THINK" Nick wants to see if this can even be done. Making a cinematic film will be hard - You will need crew. Are you willing to go to Fresno for a few days? I think if everyone wants to be a part of it, then lets just think of a subject to do a doc.

Anonymous Filmmaker
05-07-2013, 12:19 PM
Yeah me neither. It would have to be a topic that happens to really interest me to do a documentary.

I would prefer something other than a documentary, but if it's the only option I would still do it.

Patrick Wiley
05-07-2013, 01:12 PM
I think, i "THINK" Nick wants to see if this can even be done. Making a cinematic film will be hard - You will need crew. Are you willing to go to Fresno for a few days? I think if everyone wants to be a part of it, then lets just think of a subject to do a doc.

You'll need a crew for a documentary too. No one is expected to go very far out of their way travel wise. What we've all been talking about is a project which utilizes our various locations in a collaborative fashion.

I don't think shoehorning our existing locations into a documentary subject will make for compelling journalism.

I would prefer something other than a documentary, but if it's the only option I would still do it.

Since I'm slated as writer a documentary would significantly reduce my involvement in the project if not eliminate my job completely.

Anonymous Filmmaker
05-09-2013, 12:57 PM
Just in case anyone didn't see, Nick made the pole.

brianknapp
05-10-2013, 03:49 AM
Wish I could see the poll on the mobile site....

Adam Spade
05-11-2013, 04:38 AM
Feature - all the way. I'm not sure this poll understands itself. :)

The teams are all in different locations and will essentially be shooting shorts anyways.

Vote on a basic plot / event that will bring these stories or subplots together. Each team creates their own subplot. Start tying them together after the first draft. Technically, it's combining short stories but with an organized hierarchy of writers, we can have a really good script.

brianknapp
05-11-2013, 06:46 AM
Start with a short then build up from there.

Patrick Wiley
05-12-2013, 10:27 AM
The teams are all in different locations and will essentially be shooting shorts anyways.

It's the difference between those teams having to shoot a three minute short and a twenty to thirty minute short.

Havey
05-12-2013, 10:30 AM
I'm going with a short. Then we can essentially build if need be for a feature. Don't want to bite off more then we can chew in my opinion.

MakefilmsOrDie
04-17-2014, 08:12 AM
Man, somebody resurrect this idea...