PDA

View Full Version : Plot suggestions

OffMindEnt
05-01-2013, 12:45 PM
I thought I would start a thread where everyone who wants to could share their idea for the plot of the film.

We aren't sure if we will produce a short or a feature yet, so the story should be something that could be told in a short film setting if needed.
Also it should be something that could be filmed at different locations with different actors, but still tell a coherent story, not just a collection of different shorts.

Maybe write a title, a one or two sentence logline, and a little bit about it why you think it would work for a project like this.

My suggestion:

Title: LUCID

Logline: An expert on LUCID dreams (dreams where you are aware that you are dreaming, therefore you can do whatever you want, you can create your own world. See: Inception, The Matrix) comes to the realization, that the dream world he ventures every night might actually be the real world, and the world he thought was real is a dream, a nightmare.

Why I think this could work: Anything can happen in dreams, in one dream you might dream yourself as a different person (different actors playing same character), some dreams might be entirely shot with a POV. Some dream could be a nightmare, one segment could be horror, another one fantasy etc.
This would also give great artistic freedom for the individual directors to express themselves in their segments.

What are your suggestions?

myownself
05-01-2013, 01:14 PM
Title-A Small Red Line...

People often believe that there all these threads that go from place to place, around the globe. Then, there is this Small Red Line that connects from person to person without them even knowing sometimes.

A drama where 5 people's stories intertwine without their knowledge. They'll never know the people's lives that they affected, nor will they ever meet them.

Anonymous Filmmaker
05-01-2013, 04:58 PM
A little idea I had:

An elite group of hackers are on the run after hacking into ____. The police are chasing them around the globe trying to stop them before they ____.

Feel free to fill in the blanks! I know it's not much of an idea yet, but if you want to build on, feel free!

Patrick Wiley
05-01-2013, 05:09 PM
I actually had a pitch for a hacker story on the main page. I was thinking since there's a large group who are in on this who think we should start by doing a short, maybe we can make the short a sort of opening teaser for the larger story. It will feature the same characters pulling off an international cyber heist. It will work stand alone and as the opening for a larger story should we go through with the feature.

pedows
05-01-2013, 07:56 PM
First of all, this is an amazingly generous offer by Nick to offer to organize the production of a short film using the talent that hangs out on these boards. There's obviously plenty of enthusiasm here which is great but I don't think the rising tide should lose focus of Nick's original offer from the first thread. He's stated more than once that he wants to make a simple short with a 1-2 day shoot. In order to not inconvenience him, I think this should be done at more or less one location near him in California. This is where he has access to equipment and acting talent. This is also where he can be on set and teach members about the production process and that seems to be a big reason he's put himself out there for this.

The pitches and ideas are all interesting but it all comes down to the script. There has to be something on the page. My opinion is that members of the forum should submit reasonably low budget shorts 10 pages or less for consideration and that there be a deadline for submission, say May 31st. This gives members a chance to write something they are excited about but it must meet simple production parameters. Furthermore, I don't think it works to have a 10 page script written by multiple writers that are strangers. That sounds like a muddled mess. We just need to pick one. Once that's done, the world is open and as many members as possible can work on making this the highest quality short film possible and learn from Nick's experience in the process. Not everyone's going to be involved this go around because the project isn't going to support dozens but if we're all reasonable and it yields a decent product, maybe others can be rotated in on the next project. Maybe it will lead to bigger things and maybe not but I fear nothing will even get started if the reins aren't pulled back a little. It makes sense for this to start simple.

Havey
05-01-2013, 08:22 PM
I thought I would start a thread where everyone who wants to could share their idea for the plot of the film.

We aren't sure if we will produce a short or a feature yet, so the story should be something that could be told in a short film setting if needed.
Also it should be something that could be filmed at different locations with different actors, but still tell a coherent story, not just a collection of different shorts.

Maybe write a title, a one or two sentence logline, and a little bit about it why you think it would work for a project like this.

My suggestion:

Title: LUCID

Logline: An expert on LUCID dreams (dreams where you are aware that you are dreaming, therefore you can do whatever you want, you can create your own world. See: Inception, The Matrix) comes to the realization, that the dream world he ventures every night might actually be the real world, and the world he thought was real is a dream, a nightmare.

Why I think this could work: Anything can happen in dreams, in one dream you might dream yourself as a different person (different actors playing same character), some dreams might be entirely shot with a POV. Some dream could be a nightmare, one segment could be horror, another one fantasy etc.
This would also give great artistic freedom for the individual directors to express themselves in their segments.

What are your suggestions?

It is so weird that your suggestion was of that.

I'm like 1 week away from the beginning of my short film series and its actually entitled "Lucid." Has a little bit different story line, but somewhat the same.

Weird.

OffMindEnt
05-01-2013, 11:23 PM
It is so weird that your suggestion was of that.

I'm like 1 week away from the beginning of my short film series and its actually entitled "Lucid." Has a little bit different story line, but somewhat the same.

Weird.

Wow, that's pretty cool actually!

When you finish the first short and if you release it online let me know. A short film series on the subject sounds extremely interesting.
Dreams have always fascinated me immensely.

I have had a haunting opening in my head for awhile for my idea.
The story would begin as the lead character notices little things that are off, like looking at a clock and seeing that the numbers are all wrong, or talking to a person whose speech doesn't make any sense.
Finally a family member of the lead character, who has long been dead all of a sudden walks in the house.
At that moment the lead character realizes that this is a dream, and the dreams he has been having every night are the reality.

All of that stuff could be the "wrap-around segment" so to speak, with the crews from around the world creating the dream sequences.

I think it could lead to some pretty interesting filmmaking. For example you give a director in India a short segment of the script where the lead character dreams (this would be the real world!) that he can fly. The filmmaker in India then goes on to film it in his vision.
Or you give another group an assignment where all they have to do is deliver a 1-minute segment of a nightmare. No rules. It could be very interesting.

The "dream world" aka the actual real world in my idea would be a place that doesn't have the same laws of physics or laws of nature that this world has. This would give the filmmakers around the world incredible freedom to do some crazy stuff.

Anonymous Filmmaker
05-02-2013, 03:20 AM
I actually had a pitch for a hacker story on the main page. I was thinking since there's a large group who are in on this who think we should start by doing a short, maybe we can make the short a sort of opening teaser for the larger story. It will feature the same characters pulling off an international cyber heist. It will work stand alone and as the opening for a larger story should we go through with the feature.

That's weird that we thought of a similar idea! If we wanted to do a series or series of shorts, we could have the police chasing the hackers in different places in each episode/short.

Patrick Wiley
05-02-2013, 09:04 AM
Wow, that's pretty cool actually!

When you finish the first short and if you release it online let me know. A short film series on the subject sounds extremely interesting.
Dreams have always fascinated me immensely.

I have had a haunting opening in my head for awhile for my idea.
The story would begin as the lead character notices little things that are off, like looking at a clock and seeing that the numbers are all wrong, or talking to a person whose speech doesn't make any sense.
Finally a family member of the lead character, who has long been dead all of a sudden walks in the house.
At that moment the lead character realizes that this is a dream, and the dreams he has been having every night are the reality.

All of that stuff could be the "wrap-around segment" so to speak, with the crews from around the world creating the dream sequences.

I think it could lead to some pretty interesting filmmaking. For example you give a director in India a short segment of the script where the lead character dreams (this would be the real world!) that he can fly. The filmmaker in India then goes on to film it in his vision.
Or you give another group an assignment where all they have to do is deliver a 1-minute segment of a nightmare. No rules. It could be very interesting.

The "dream world" aka the actual real world in my idea would be a place that doesn't have the same laws of physics or laws of nature that this world has. This would give the filmmakers around the world incredible freedom to do some crazy stuff.

There's an episode of Batman the Animated Series like that. Bruce wakes up and discovers he can't find the Bat cave, he's engaged to Selina Kyle and most astoundingly his parents are alive and have been all along. Batman exists in this world, but he's someone else entirely so all the important things he does still get done. A psychiatrist convinces him that his belief that he was Batman was a delusion caused by a sense of worthlessness he felt growing up rich. He begins to accept this until he sits down to try and read the news paper. It's all gibberish. That's when he realizes it's a dream, Bruce, being an expert on everything knows that it's borderline impossible to read in a dream. It turns out the whole thing is the result of a device the Mad Hatter has hooked Batman up to.

Pretty good episode, although it kind of has the plot holes of 1. If Hatter had Batman helpless why didn't he just kill him, and 2. why didn't he unmask Batman before putting the device on.

Adam Spade
05-11-2013, 04:59 AM
For a feature - I think we just need a basic plot then each team and their writer would create subplots. Tie them together after their 1st drafts. Think "Independence Day" where a nationwide event brings people together.

For example: Cyber terrorists attack the United States. Groups of Americans across the nation have 24 hrs to work together and stop the attack, before peanut m&m's are labeled and distributed as regular m&m's and millions die from peanut allergies. (That's obviously a joke but you get the idea)

Each team chooses Subplots from a list: Cyber Terrorists HQ, Police Station & FBI, Elite Computer Hacker, Soccer Mom (Wife of FBI), Teenage Beach babe (Daughter of FBI away for college who is dating the computer hacker, virtually) etc. etc. Base it out on subplots then and it will snap.

Anonymous Filmmaker
05-11-2013, 05:07 AM
For a feature - I think we just need a basic plot then each team and their writer would create subplots. Tie them together after their 1st drafts. Think "Independence Day" where a nationwide event brings people together.

For example: Cyber terrorists attack the United States. Groups of Americans across the nation have 24 hrs to work together and stop the attack, before peanut m&m's are labeled and distributed as regular m&m's and millions die from peanut allergies. (That's obviously a joke but you get the idea)

Each team chooses Subplots from a list: Cyber Terrorists HQ, Police Station & FBI, Elite Computer Hacker, Soccer Mom (Wife of FBI), Teenage Beach babe (Daughter of FBI away for college who is dating the computer hacker, virtually) etc. etc. Base it out on subplots then and it will snap.

I think that you are the 3rd person to suggest a hacker idea, so there is obviously interest in this topic.

Adam Spade
05-11-2013, 05:09 AM
I think that you are the 3rd person to suggest a hacker idea, so there is obviously interest in this topic.

Well, it's something that can be a nationwide or even worldwide event that would tie these distant people together. We can work with that. It's easier than aliens destroying the planet too:P

Anonymous Filmmaker
05-11-2013, 05:15 AM
What are other peoples opinions about starting with a hacker idea and building on from there?

Adam Spade
05-11-2013, 05:42 AM
Cyber thriller / suspense / action / drama... It will work and everyone would probably enjoy working on it. Gives plenty of flexibility. Why wait? Maybe we should just push forward, establish the basics and pitch it to Nick.

Step 1: Establish event and resolution. What will the hackers attempt to do? why? and what will be the resolution?

Step 2: Establish main characters from each story / subplot and relationships to each other.

Step 3: Organize writing team into hierarchy. Assign short stories / subplots and create 1st drafts.

brianknapp
05-11-2013, 06:44 AM
A little idea I had:

An elite group of hackers are on the run after hacking into ____. The police are chasing them around the globe trying to stop them before they ____.

Feel free to fill in the blanks! I know it's not much of an idea yet, but if you want to build on, feel free!
That sounds pretty cool actually , I would be up for doing something on that!

Patrick Wiley
05-11-2013, 11:29 AM
What are other peoples opinions about starting with a hacker idea and building on from there?

I submitted a rough draft of a hacker short in the "scripts thread"

Patrick Wiley
05-11-2013, 11:29 AM

I submitted a rough draft of a hacker short in the "scripts thread"

brianknapp
05-11-2013, 03:10 PM
I was thinking about a guy who works at a college as a janitor even though he feels like he is smarter than most of the people who go there. Sometimes he sees an equation written on a blackboard like half an equation and... he just figures it out. What about a movie with a plot like that? Wait... thats been done before NEVER mind...........

Anonymous Filmmaker
05-11-2013, 03:12 PM
I was thinking about a guy who works at a college as a janitor even though he feels like he is smarter than most of the people who go there. Sometimes he sees an equation written on a blackboard like half an equation and... he just figures it out. What about a movie with a plot like that? Wait... thats been done before NEVER mind...........

Good thought, but wouldn't work with this many people.

brianknapp
05-11-2013, 03:15 PM
Good thought, but wouldn't work with this many people.
Lol that was a joke it that was plot straight from a movie.

Adam Spade
05-11-2013, 03:37 PM
I think we need an event to base individual stories from first. Writing a script at this point is ahead of the game. We have multiple writers and multiple locations to film at. 1 short satisfies 1 team... we will have multiple teams and short scripts so we can put together a feature. Otherwise, you might as well just go make your own short and forget it.

Example: "In 24 hrs, terrorists will release a chemical into air that will pollute the entire United States. Demands must be met or they must be stopped"

Then each writer will choose a perspective. White House, FBI, Daughter of FBI away in college, Computer Hacker in love with FBI daughter etc.

Create the character relationships and then we can start writing basic story treatments. Then, we start connecting the stories. I don't see it working any other way if we plan to do this as a team. Otherwise... we will be fighting over scripts:P

Anonymous Filmmaker
05-11-2013, 03:40 PM
I think we need an event to base individual stories from first. Writing a script at this point is ahead of the game. We have multiple writers and multiple locations to film at. 1 short satisfies 1 team... we will have multiple teams and short scripts so we can put together a feature. Otherwise, you might as well just go make your own short and forget it.

Example: "In 24 hrs, terrorists will release a chemical into air that will pollute the entire United States. Demands must be met or they must be stopped"

Then each writer will choose a perspective. White House, FBI, Daughter of FBI away in college, Computer Hacker in love with FBI daughter etc.

Create the character relationships and then we can start writing basic story treatments. Then, we start connecting the stories. I don't see it working any other way if we plan to do this as a team. Otherwise... we will be fighting over scripts:P

Well, I think as I mentioned earlier that we should do something with a hacker. Any ideas aside from Patrick's?

Adam Spade
05-11-2013, 03:46 PM
Well, I think as I mentioned earlier that we should do something with a hacker. Any ideas aside from Patrick's?

Well, I'm not actually suggesting we do a hacker story here. I don't care what it is. It's just example. I'm just trying to get people thinking about how we would accomplish it. So far, people are just trying to write their own scripts.

I'm suggesting that we need an EVENT that will bring the stories / characters together. Each writer would then write a story based on the event.

Patrick Wiley
05-11-2013, 04:14 PM
First off a feature is no longer on the table at this stage.

Second, most of the people who will be coordinating different units have expressed that they're down for anything.

I think having various writers write scripts then trying to fit them together will just give us one big mess.

We'll be much better off having everyone willing to write a script submit it to a thread and then we all vote. Once a rough draft is picked the other writers will have the opportunity to do rewrites of it.

Anonymous Filmmaker
05-11-2013, 04:18 PM
Well, I'm not actually suggesting we do a hacker story here. I don't care what it is. It's just example. I'm just trying to get people thinking about how we would accomplish it. So far, people are just trying to write their own scripts.

I'm suggesting that we need an EVENT that will bring the stories / characters together. Each writer would then write a story based on the event.

I just think that a hacker story would be easiest with this many people, and there is an obvious interest.

Adam Spade
05-11-2013, 06:07 PM
First off a feature is no longer on the table at this stage.

Second, most of the people who will be coordinating different units have expressed that they're down for anything.

I think having various writers write scripts then trying to fit them together will just give us one big mess.

We'll be much better off having everyone willing to write a script submit it to a thread and then we all vote. Once a rough draft is picked the other writers will have the opportunity to do rewrites of it.

To my understanding, ATM Nick had decided to do a documentary and is now considering a cinematic feature instead. I'm fine with whatever we do, but I am 100% confident a script can be done this way, and others agree. I know how to do it and how to manage it. It just needs organization. The process needs to be established for the writing team to see and execute. It's cake.

L A Morgan
05-11-2013, 07:30 PM
Go to the Director's forum of loglines from hell and see what he got. Check out the script marketplace on Nick's site.

Patrick Wiley
05-11-2013, 07:31 PM
To my understanding, ATM Nick had decided to do a documentary and is now considering a cinematic feature instead. I'm fine with whatever we do, but I am 100% confident a script can be done this way, and others agree. I know how to do it and how to manage it. It just needs organization. The process needs to be established for the writing team to see and execute. It's cake.

I'm afraid you're behind on the decisions which have been made.

A feature of any kind is off the table. The vote is now between Narrative short and Documentary Short and narrative short is wining.

I could sort of see combining a variety of shorts into a feature as a possibility but combining a variety of really short shorts into a longer short, Why?

Adam Spade
05-12-2013, 03:34 AM
I'm afraid you're behind on the decisions which have been made.

A feature of any kind is off the table. The vote is now between Narrative short and Documentary Short and narrative short is wining.

I could sort of see combining a variety of shorts into a feature as a possibility but combining a variety of really short shorts into a longer short, Why?

I guess I am.

Not a variety of shorts, what I am talking about. It would be the same story told from different perspectives. The script would be something like "Independence Day" etc. but the production teams would be built more like "Four Rooms" so everyone could get involved.

Anonymous Filmmaker
05-12-2013, 03:43 AM
I guess I am.

Not a variety of shorts, what I am talking about. It would be the same story told from different perspectives. The script would be something like "Independence Day" etc. but the production teams would be built more like "Four Rooms" so everyone could get involved.

That could work. I think that it shouldn't really be from different perspectives really, but more different places. Ex: Showing police around the world trying to stop hackers or terrorists.

That is just my idea though, and I'm not saying that there is a right or wrong way.

Adam Spade
05-12-2013, 03:54 AM
That could work. I think that it shouldn't really be from different perspectives really, but more different places. Ex: Showing police around the world trying to stop hackers or terrorists.

That is just my idea though, and I'm not saying that there is a right or wrong way.

Exactly. Places & perspective. Can be both. It can definitely work.

Adam Spade
05-12-2013, 04:07 AM
Think of it this way, the locations will give the perspectives naturally.

"Each writer will choose a perspective and location: White House, FBI, Daughter of FBI away in college, Computer Hacker in love with FBI daughter etc."

The fun part for the writing team would be making the different locations talk. intertwining them. our writing team would be a hierarchy and the parts of the script would be passed back and forth, then put together and rewritten as many times as needed. Then each film crew would choose which part (location) they want to produce. They would rough edit theirs and send it to the master editor. It's cake. Not hard and completely doable.

Anonymous Filmmaker
05-12-2013, 04:32 AM

"Each writer will choose a perspective and location: White House, FBI, Daughter of FBI away in college, Computer Hacker in love with FBI daughter etc."

The fun part for the writing team would be making the different locations talk. intertwining them. our writing team would be a hierarchy and the parts of the script would be passed back and forth, then put together and rewritten as many times as needed. Then each film crew would choose which part (location) they want to produce. They would rough edit theirs and send it to the master editor. It's cake. Not hard and completely doable.

The locations can communicate by phone and computer, so no face to face is necessary. (in it and planning it)

Adam Spade
05-12-2013, 04:55 AM
The locations can communicate by phone and computer, so no face to face is necessary. (in it and planning it)

You got it partner. I would be really excited to do a feature this way. I sent Nick a pm hopefully explaining well enough how to do it. We just need an event now to base the script around. And to organize, obviously.

Anonymous Filmmaker
05-12-2013, 05:47 AM
Well, we may not even be doing a narrative film, while it is likely. There is still voting.

Adam Spade
05-12-2013, 05:56 AM
Well, we may not even be doing a narrative film, while it is likely. There is still voting.

Well, I'm hoping we can inform everyone on the possibility of doing a feature. It would be best for us all to understand how it can be done before we begin voting. We should have a pitch for each option before holding any votes. Otherwise, we don't know what we are voting on.

Anonymous Filmmaker
05-12-2013, 06:16 AM
Well, I'm hoping we can inform everyone on the possibility of doing a feature. It would be best for us all to understand how it can be done before we begin voting. We should have a pitch for each option before holding any votes. Otherwise, we don't know what we are voting on.

I still think that we should start with a short, and then either add more shorts or make a feature afterwords.

Patrick Wiley
05-12-2013, 06:22 AM

Lets toss the hypotheticals here. We don't have the White House. What we have is East Coast USA, West Coast USA, Seol, Mumbai and possibly Bangkok.

I don't really see how this is better then starting with one script that tells a concise story and having different writers rewrite it or rewrite segments of it.

I seem to recall you saying you were involved in or at least knew of a film that was written this way. Would you mind sharing that with us what film you're talking about?

Anonymous Filmmaker
05-12-2013, 06:25 AM
Lets toss the hypotheticals here. We don't have the White House. What we have is East Coast USA, West Coast USA, Seol, Mumbai and possibly Bangkok.

All we need is some stock footage and a green screen. Keep in mind, it wouldn't revolve around one location, so for the most part we could avoid green screen, and only use it when it's necessary. I would be happy to do the AE work.

Adam Spade
05-12-2013, 06:33 AM

"I am misunderstood. This was just meant to be examples."

I don't really see how this is better then starting with one script that tells a concise story and having different writers rewrite it or rewrite segments of it.

1. Because it can involve more writers and give them responsibility over certain areas of the script.

I seem to recall you saying you were involved in or at least knew of a film that was written this way. Would you mind sharing that with us what film you're talking about?

I don't actually recall saying that I was directly involved but I did mention the movie "Four Rooms" was produced in a similar way, meaning different production teams. I did mention that. I also currently manage a video game development team and work with people all over the world. From a project management perspective, I wouldn't be scared of this at all. It's just about putting together the PM system, establishing roles and executing.

Anonymous Filmmaker
05-12-2013, 06:33 AM

I agree. There could maybe be a team of writers writing a script, and then having it pre-broken into multiple locations. That way there would be no rewriting.

Anonymous Filmmaker
05-12-2013, 06:35 AM
I don't actually recall saying that I was directly involved but I did mention the movie "Four Rooms" was produced in a similar way, meaning different production teams. I did mention that. I also currently manage a video game development team and work with people all over the world. From a project management perspective, I wouldn't be scared of this at all. It's just about putting together the PM system, establishing roles and executing.

I think the production staff can be split, but probably there should be one script.

Patrick Wiley
05-12-2013, 06:35 AM
You want to green-screen the oval office? I'm imagining a Daily Show corespondent segment right now.

Working with our available locations rather then against them is what will give us the production values we want.

I haven't seen four rooms but I've looked it up and it's described as an Anthology feature. I skimmed the plots and unless I'm missing something it's a series of loosely connected shorts. You're correct that it would be easy to write this as an anthology. I think it would be too easy and the result will be unimpressive, especially if this is an anthology of super shorts that together form a regular short. It will be a much greater accomplishment for the community to come together and create a single story which utilizes each location.

Adam Spade
05-12-2013, 06:36 AM
I still think that we should start with a short, and then either add more shorts or make a feature afterwords.

I completely thought that at first. Now that I know how easily this can be done, I totally changed my mind.

Anonymous Filmmaker
05-12-2013, 06:38 AM
You want to green-screen the oval office? I'm imagining a Daily Show corespondent segment right now.

Working with our available locations rather then against them is what will give us the production values we want.

Don't get me wrong- real is always better than vfx. However, if it's necessary, it is always an option. Or, we get a shot of the outside of the White House, and then film the interior in another location. With some sneaky editing, it could work.

Adam Spade
05-12-2013, 06:38 AM
I think the production staff can be split, but probably there should be one script.

It will be one script. The writing team would be a hierarchy. 1 writer for each location, and a master writing team.

Adam Spade
05-12-2013, 06:41 AM
I agree. There could maybe be a team of writers writing a script, and then having it pre-broken into multiple locations. That way there would be no rewriting.

Even if there is 1 writer... there is always rewriting on every script.

Anonymous Filmmaker
05-12-2013, 06:42 AM
Even if there is 1 writer... there is always rewriting on every script.

True, but that should probably be the director of each location. And it should only be small changes, nothing to big.

Adam Spade
05-12-2013, 06:45 AM
True, but that should probably be the director of each location. And it should only be small changes, nothing to big.

Yes, a director and crew for each location. They would rough edit their work and send it to a master editing team. I'm not sure what you mean about changes.

Anonymous Filmmaker
05-12-2013, 06:46 AM
Yes, a director and crew for each location. They would rough edit their work and send it to a master editing team. I'm not sure what you mean about changes.

You said that there would definitely be changes to make on the script. I agree, and I think that they should be made when filming by the director. However, the editing team would do the best they could first.

Adam Spade
05-12-2013, 06:48 AM
Would you guys be opposed to having a Skype meeting and I can explain how to do it? Then we can pitch the whole idea together on a post or something...

Anonymous Filmmaker
05-12-2013, 06:52 AM
Would you guys be opposed to having a Skype meeting and I can explain how to do it? Then we can pitch the whole idea together on a post or something...

I don't know, because I would like to stay anonymous, hence my name, or at least for now. Is there a way you could write out your pitch and PM me?

Patrick Wiley
05-12-2013, 06:53 AM
I don't think we should skype about this unless we can get Nick to join us.

Anonymous Filmmaker
05-12-2013, 06:56 AM

Agreed.

Adam Spade
05-12-2013, 06:57 AM

The idea would be to pitch it to Nick after. I sent him a message with the basics though. I'm not sure if he will respond though if his box is flooded.

Anonymous Filmmaker
05-12-2013, 07:05 AM
The idea would be to pitch it to Nick after. I sent him a message with the basics though. I'm not sure if he will respond though if his box is flooded.

We should wait to really pitch him anything until May 14th when the narrative vs docu survey ends.

Adam Spade
05-12-2013, 07:26 AM
Here is the basic idea.

Cinematic Feature that utilizes directors / producers in different locations without having to have the actors meet in person. There would be relationships but communication would be between phone and internet etc.

Writing:
The script would be something similar to Independence Day or 2012 with an event that brings all of the characters together. The event could be anything. It's just an event to base the script on. Cyber-terrorists is one option. A master writing team would set the foundation and guidelines for the story and each sub story, and establishing basic character relationships between locations. A sub writer would be assigned to writing the story for each location. The stories would then be passed up to the Master writing team which would rewrite the script as a whole and make sure everything lines up. There will be changes here to make sure each short talks well. Rewriting then until the script is superb.

Production:
Production would be broken up into teams. A crew at each location will manage, film, and then rough edit the section of the script assigned to them. These multiple rough cuts would be passed up to a master editor, who would then cut them into one story. A master sound team would jump in here too.

Music:
I recommend 1 composer to score the film but we could also have a music supervisor and use music from 10 popular bands on the internet. This will help with networking... even if we only use 10 seconds of each song. Opens up the possibility of an indie soundtrack as well. Good groceries.

Management:
Business Management - Probably would be best to give Nick power to run this as a business with each team being their own sub contractor.
Board of Directors - A board for decision making and management for the project and each team.
Graphic design and marketing team etc. can be established when needed.

Ask me questions but It is really pretty simple.

Adam Spade
05-12-2013, 07:32 AM
We should wait to really pitch him anything until May 14th when the narrative vs docu survey ends.

I have to strongly disagree here. If there is a mass vote on the forum just based on "Short" vs "Narrative" vs "Doc" vs "feature" vs "whatever"...

Then there will be no real assessment for basing the decision making and the result would be primarily based on individuals personal want or even fear. There needs to be a pitch for each type of film. Otherwise, we might as well flip a coin.

Anonymous Filmmaker
05-12-2013, 07:47 AM
I have to strongly disagree here. If there is a mass vote on the forum just based on "Short" vs "Narrative" vs "Doc" vs "feature" vs "whatever"...

Then there will be no real assessment for basing the decision making and the result would be primarily based on individuals personal want or even fear. There needs to be a pitch for each type of film. Otherwise, we might as well flip a coin.

True, but then in that case you are trying to convince voters. You may want to post something in that thread.

Adam Spade
05-12-2013, 07:52 AM
True, but then in that case you are trying to convince voters. You may want to post something in that thread.

Yes, but purely for the sake of making the best decision. It's like voting blind for a republican and then finding out he is a complete liberal.You just don't know what you are getting without key information. I believe it is important.

Anonymous Filmmaker
05-12-2013, 07:53 AM
Here is the basic idea.

Cinematic Feature that utilizes directors / producers in different locations without having to have the actors meet in person. There would be relationships but communication would be between phone and internet etc.

Writing:
The script would be something similar to Independence Day or 2012 with an event that brings all of the characters together. The event could be anything. It's just an event to base the script on. Cyber-terrorists is one option. A master writing team would set the foundation and guidelines for the story and each sub story, and establishing basic character relationships between locations. A sub writer would be assigned to writing the story for each location. The stories would then be passed up to the Master writing team which would rewrite the script as a whole and make sure everything lines up. There will be changes here to make sure each short talks well. Rewriting then until the script is superb.

Production:
Production would be broken up into teams. A crew at each location will manage, film, and then rough edit the section of the script assigned to them. These multiple rough cuts would be passed up to a master editor, who would then cut them into one story. A master sound team would jump in here too.

Music:
I recommend 1 composer to score the film but we could also have a music supervisor and use music from 10 popular bands on the internet. This will help with networking... even if we only use 10 seconds of each song. Opens up the possibility of an indie soundtrack as well. Good groceries.

Management:
Business Management - Probably would be best to give Nick power to run this as a business with each team being their own sub contractor.
Board of Directors - A board for decision making and management for the project and each team.
Graphic design and marketing team etc. can be established when needed.

Ask me questions but It is really pretty simple.

I mostly agree. I think that we should try to have as much custom music as possible. We do have quite a number of composers on this site (you included.) If they each wrote about one piece, but there was a guiding musician to oversee, we would have a custom score.

Adam Spade
05-12-2013, 07:57 AM
I mostly agree. I think that we should try to have as much custom music as possible. We do have quite a number of composers on this site (you included.) If they each wrote about one piece, but there was a guiding musician to oversee, we would have a custom score.

It's possible, but unfortunately, IMDB etc. would classify it as a soundtrack so the composers would not get the credit. This is the main reason a composer would want to score the movie. But it's possible to make that work.

OffMindEnt
05-12-2013, 08:10 AM
The way I have understood this, since Nick started the project, he is currently the "leader" for the lack of a better word, and he's taken the possibility a feature off the table, but is still open to both a documentary short or a narrative short.

At first I was on board for a feature, but after the initial excitement I too realised that it is best to start with a short.

A short film on it's own, if you want to make a good one, is a big project.
A short film with several crews all over the world is even a bigger challenge, not impossible, but hard.

A feature film done in the same fashion, while it may seem like it could be done with the same ease, is an animal of it's own.

That being said, after all this is a community with a lot of members, so if Adam or anyone else likes to start their own project, a feature film, then I'm sure Nick would have no problem with it.

But I think at the moment it would be best if we all focused on this one project, it's easy to brainstorm this all out, but it gets harder once you actually have to start the production, IMO a short is a good way to start.

I originally started this thread so everyone could submit their logline for the film, and after a while, once everyone had submitted their idea, we would have a poll where everyone could vote their favorite logline and we would go from there.

Adam Spade
05-12-2013, 08:33 AM
The way I have understood this, since Nick started the project, he is currently the "leader" for the lack of a better word, and he's taken the possibility a feature off the table, but is still open to both a documentary short or a narrative short.

At first I was on board for a feature, but after the initial excitement I too realised that it is best to start with a short.

A short film on it's own, if you want to make a good one, is a big project.
A short film with several crews all over the world is even a bigger challenge, not impossible, but hard.

A feature film done in the same fashion, while it may seem like it could be done with the same ease, is an animal of it's own.

That being said, after all this is a community with a lot of members, so if Adam or anyone else likes to start their own project, a feature film, then I'm sure Nick would have no problem with it.

But I think at the moment it would be best if we all focused on this one project, it's easy to brainstorm this all out, but it gets harder once you actually have to start the production, IMO a short is a good way to start.

I originally started this thread so everyone could submit their logline for the film, and after a while, once everyone had submitted their idea, we would have a poll where everyone could vote their favorite logline and we would go from there.

And originally, I thought it was safer to do a short. I was fearful of the management and effort. After thinking up a plan, I changed my mind. This is so very doable and I believe just as easy as doing a short. + We can involve more people.

OffMindEnt
05-12-2013, 09:01 AM
Writing a full length screenplay that has a good and interesting story and good characters is hard enough, but to write a screenplay for different locations and characters/actors is even harder.

But let's say that we have an awesome full length screenplay done, and let's say we get 5 teams from around the world who will be donating their time and possibly money to film a 20 minute or so segment in the movie.

That alone will be hard enough. Remember, we are doing this on a no-budget basis, so it will be much easier to get volunteers to donate their time and talent for a shorter segment that takes less time to shoot.
Time=money. A crew shooting a segment for a short film in a day or two is reasonable. A crew shooting a segment for a feature in 1-2 weeks maybe, is unreasonable.

also we have to remember, that we are talking about different filmmakers with different skill levels and expertise. The segments will probably not be all on the same level technically and artistically.
When watching a short film, a one or two minute segment that is of lower quality is ok, a viewer is probably more forgiving of a short film and will continue watching.
A feature film, the viewer will be more demanding, they're not going to spend two hours of their life watching something they think is boring or doesn't look good enough.

Making a short film that is genuinely well made and actually has good storytelling is hard enough.

I've seen way more dreadfully boring short films than good ones.

Jfvideos
05-12-2013, 09:08 PM
Reply to pitch Lucid

It sounds like a cool wish fulfillment concept.

One challenge I see is how do you distinguish this from the Matrix so it doesn't come off like a rip off so a cult fan base can actually grow.

Heres what I brainstormed incorporating the lucid dreaming aspect.

Movie: Dreamscape

A teenager named John experiments with lucid dreaming and discovers a dream dimension where other people in society also enter and interact while sleeping. After meeting a girl (Jennifer) and falling in love in the dreamscape, a malevolent group of lost souls kidnap and imprison Jennifer causing her to go into a coma in real life. John decides to save Jennifer by going into the darkest corners of this dimension and facing these terrible souls to bring her back life before its to late.

Patrick Wiley
05-12-2013, 09:38 PM
Hey to both guys pitching lucid dream stories, if you'd be at all interested in helping me playtest a Lucid Dreaming based RPG PM me.

OffMindEnt
05-14-2013, 01:30 PM
Reply to pitch Lucid

It sounds like a cool wish fulfillment concept.

One challenge I see is how do you distinguish this from the Matrix so it doesn't come off like a rip off so a cult fan base can actually grow.

Heres what I brainstormed incorporating the lucid dreaming aspect.

Movie: Dreamscape

A teenager named John experiments with lucid dreaming and discovers a dream dimension where other people in society also enter and interact while sleeping. After meeting a girl (Jennifer) and falling in love in the dreamscape, a malevolent group of lost souls kidnap and imprison Jennifer causing her to go into a coma in real life. John decides to save Jennifer by going into the darkest corners of this dimension and facing these terrible souls to bring her back life before its to late.

Good points. However there is already a movie called dreamscape, and it's plot reminds me of your plot description somewhat.

But saying that, being 100% original with a film nowadays is simpy impossible, so maybe it's useless to worry about these things.

I had another idea using the same dream premise, what if the protagonist is living a wonderful and happy life, but keeps seeing nightmares that he is on the death row for example, and suddenly he finds himself stuck in his nightmares and he finds out that his happy life was all a dream his brains made up to escape the harsh reality that he is going to die soon.
Maybe there could be a bunch of different dreams and he doesn't know which one is real.

Patrick Wiley
05-15-2013, 08:17 PM
If anyone has an idea for a story involving time travel I'd like to mention I have a connection to some WWII reenactors in Massachusetts.

filmmaker6563
02-13-2014, 08:36 PM
What about a 2-5 minute short, and we transition to another one cleverly. Perhaps a character calls another character on a phone, and we transition into the next story of the person who was being spoken to. The story continues until we reach the last one, which ties in with the first one. It takes place over one day. We could turn it into a drama, or a trippy horror/drama/science-fiction/comedy/thriller/romance/crime flick by letting anyone go in any direction they want to, as long as it flows into the next story well. I dunno.

Titles:
A Day in the Life
6 Degrees of Separation

Just throwing out ideas.

Shayan
06-06-2014, 02:46 AM
Hi, Can I pleas ask where are you guys now with your movie? Did it work? the planning and all that?

I am new to the forum but would love to add a bit of my efforts in this movie, of course only if its being made??

Anonymous Filmmaker
06-06-2014, 02:52 AM
Hi, Can I pleas ask where are you guys now with your movie? Did it work? the planning and all that?

I am new to the forum but would love to add a bit of my efforts in this movie, of course only if its being made??
It keeps being placed on hold because nobody is willing to coordinate the whole thing, and it is hard to plan with so many people.

filmmaker6563
06-06-2014, 08:39 AM

Anonymous Filmmaker
06-06-2014, 12:05 PM
Well we don't know what we're trying to even do. We should establish the rough runtime of the time and the desired method of distribution, mark down how will and who will not be involved, get a rough idea of the story for the film, initiate the writing of the script, and get Nick's approval, disapproval, or thoughts on the film (if he'd like to oversee the thing, or let members run with it).

As far as the story goes, we should start with a short film. It's easier and won't make things stressful. It will be more of a proof of concept thing anyway so we can get a feel of how to do things in the future. Baby steps.

I'd stay away from the dreaming ideas. We already have Waking Life, Vanilla Sky, etc.

We should do something that is easily executed, with few special effects or large requirements.
I completely agree, although I think incorporating vfx isn't a bad idea (if story permits of course) because post is the easiest to incorporate lots of people at once as opposed to other phases such as actual filmming.

Shayan
06-06-2014, 03:14 PM
It keeps being placed on hold because nobody is willing to coordinate the whole thing, and it is hard to plan with so many people.

Thanks for letting me know. I read the convo above and I am really really anxious to know how and when you're all gonna start it. I hope everything falls in place and you all could come together on one topic.

When I read the 'we are making movie' thread, the idea that stroke my mind was of making something on Cigarette smoking. I know its too general of a topic, but yeah it can have stories from all over the World, as smoking is very much part of people's life everywhere now. Plus the idea of making an anthology can work with a topic like this.

If not anything, then at least we can make short films just to come together and give this idea of making something together a test? Each one of us can make films in their own city,with their own stories, for example on how to avoid smoking and what are its hazards.
I am not talking about doc but a short film, like for one or two mins.

filmmaker6563
06-06-2014, 03:35 PM

Patrick Wiley
06-13-2014, 08:28 PM
If there's renewed interest in this I'd suggest looking into the script I submitted. I think it got us closer to getting the ball rolling then anything else. The locations would have to change since we don't know what locations we have access to.

If anyone else is interested I'd be willing to handle one maybe even two of the locations.

http://www.filmmakerforum.org/lets-make-a-film/2156-scripts.html