PDA

View Full Version : Vote for the Medium

Patrick Wiley
04-30-2013, 11:14 AM
1. Traditional Narrative Short

2. Web Series

3. Web ARG (ARG stands for Alternate Reality Game, in essence what we create is supposedly real life footage from a fictional world we're creating. In addition to videos ARGs tend to feature social media pages which are supposedly operated by the fictional characters of the show. Furthermore the show is self referential, breaking the 4th wall is not an issue because within the story the characters are really releasing their videos. ARGs frequently feature mystery and puzzle solving elements. This commonly involves codes within videos that reference files hosted on other sites. People can solve the code or follow clues to reveal new story information. In some cases this is a simple side game which adds fun and makes the over all experience more interactive, in other cases, like the EveryManHybrid series outside media is vital to understanding the over all story. If anyone is unfamiliar with this term I'd highly recommend checking out the TribeTwelve Youtube channel before voting.)

4. Feature Film

myownself
04-30-2013, 11:19 AM
Feature

Can you explain ARG a little more please.

SamuelR74
04-30-2013, 11:25 AM
Feature

But willing to explore the ARG route

Patrick Wiley
04-30-2013, 12:09 PM
Provided a full explanation of what an ARG is.

myownself
04-30-2013, 12:13 PM
Hmmm...that sounds pretty cool. I still really want this to be a feature but I'd be up for an ARG

OffMindEnt
04-30-2013, 12:23 PM
The ARG stuff seems pretty interesting, but since I have no experience whatsoever in that, I vote for a feature. Or a feature that could be cut into a webseries if needed.

brianknapp
04-30-2013, 01:23 PM
Feature film ARG seems like it could get expensive

Patrick Wiley
04-30-2013, 02:06 PM
Not really, in fact the ARG elements are all free. We just create more youtube channels, facebooks profiles, twitter profiles, blogs what have you and operate them ourselves.

Patrick Wiley
04-30-2013, 03:21 PM
How many of us are there? We should all check in at the crew section. Unless there's six people who haven't chimed in I believe Feature film is the winner.

OffMindEnt
04-30-2013, 03:34 PM
How many of us are there? We should all check in at the crew section. Unless there's six people who haven't chimed in I believe Feature film is the winner.

To be fair there were quite a few more people contributing ideas to the original thread. I have a suspicion many of them haven't noticed this subforum yet or haven't had the time to write here.

Patrick Wiley
04-30-2013, 04:02 PM
Well the poll is still open. There need to be three more people to swing it to anything besides a feature.

Director
04-30-2013, 09:36 PM
Feature.

mara
05-01-2013, 09:24 AM
I vote for narrative short because a feature is simply such a huge undertaking that it's (much) more likely to be abandoned part way through. And writing a good screenplay is a major understaking before anything else can get underway, and without that, it doesn't matter how good everything else is.

Patrick Wiley
05-01-2013, 09:27 AM
Well the way we're talking about doing this it would be a process of several of us making short segments which together tell the complete story.

Nick Soares
05-01-2013, 10:22 AM
I vote for a SHORT! - Feature will be to difficult to start. I say if we can make a short film then we move on to making a feature film

myownself
05-01-2013, 10:48 AM
The thing is that with the worldwide thing...making a feature with this is sorta like making a bunch of separate shorts. If we make the whole thing a short I fear that each segment won't be long enough, but once again I'm up for anything.

Anonymous Filmmaker
05-01-2013, 11:06 AM
Web series! Like a short film, it could be as long or short as you want, and there's always room to make more. The series VGHS took this approach and was very successful.

Nick Soares
05-01-2013, 11:35 AM
The thing is that with the worldwide thing...making a feature with this is sorta like making a bunch of separate shorts. If we make the whole thing a short I fear that each segment won't be long enough, but once again I'm up for anything.

MyOwnSelf, we are going to make (1) a short film to start. Unless everyone votes differently

myownself
05-01-2013, 11:40 AM
Like I said, I'm up for anything. :D

Patrick Wiley
05-01-2013, 11:50 AM
Seeing how close feature and short are I wonder if we should consider putting them head to head before making a decision.

OffMindEnt
05-01-2013, 11:52 AM
With most of the filmmakers scattered across the world, would the short be filmed entirely in one place, or would we use the same approach we were going to use with the feature, that it would be compiled of different segments shot at different locations?

Nick Soares
05-01-2013, 11:54 AM
With most of the filmmakers scattered across the world, would the short be filmed entirely in one place, or would we use the same approach we were going to use with the feature, that it would be compiled of different segments shot at different locations?

Honestly I have no clue, I have never done this before. We are breaking ground and that is OK because you learn first hand why things didn't work out, or why they did

myownself
05-01-2013, 12:00 PM
With most of the filmmakers scattered across the world, would the short be filmed entirely in one place, or would we use the same approach we were going to use with the feature, that it would be compiled of different segments shot at different locations?Tis why I said if we do the world-wide plot we should really make it a feature. If there are, say, 7 settings, each segment would be about 15 minutes long. You have a 105 minute long film on your hands. If it's a short, you're only looking at like 3-5 minute segments probably.

If we don't go with a world-wide plot and still go with a short you may not be able to get everybody involved that wants to be involved.

But, as I've said for the hundredth time, I'm up for anything!

OffMindEnt
05-01-2013, 12:00 PM
Here's my suggestion. We figure out what the plot is going to be, something that could be filmed in different places with different actors, just focus on trying to make a coherent narrative, and not focus too much on the length.
If it all works out as a short, great. If we discover that there might be potential for a feature, we don't shy away from that either. If there are enough filmmaking groups in the project, then I don't see why it couldn't end up being a feature length project in the end.

Maybe let the story and script dictate where it's going. A project like this is not going to be easy or fast to produce. Maybe we'll figure it out in the way.

mara
05-01-2013, 12:10 PM
I'm completely aligned w/Nick as to short first, and feature if it goes well.
Just to put this into perspective, we completed post-prodution on my feature in Feb 2012, and I'm still putting in a great deal of time on it re marketing/publicity, distribution, format tweaks, etc.

In terms of world wide vs one location: my thought is 4 parts, preferably interwoven, each 3 to 3 1/2 minutes long. With credits, aim for 15 minutes total.

Leave people wanting more.

OffMindEnt
05-01-2013, 12:33 PM
That sounds pretty good the way you put it, Mara.

If nobody's got anything against it, I will start a new thread solely dedicated to plot ideas. Everyone can share their ideas. After that, people vote what plot idea they like the best and we go form there. How does it sound?

SamuelR74
05-01-2013, 01:04 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't we simply doing what most studios do which is, fly the crew to different locations to film certain scenes? Except in this case we aren't flying anyone anywhere, we are organizing sub-units within our own locations, filming footage, and then bringing them all together in the editing room. Seems to me the difficulty lies in interlacing our footage and storyline and various technical aspects (editing, etc.), and the innovative aspect is the fact that we are organizing this through a forum with people we have never met before. Therefore, the medium (in my opinion) isn't necessarily what will make this project unique -- it's not the "hook" in other words. It's the fact that we did this through a website forum. That being said, there are going to be many difficulties inherent with a project such as this. So in order to minimize those difficulties, keeping this film within 15 minutes or thereabouts, would allow us to focus on making a quality film that highlights and emphasizes our innovative approach to filmmaking. We are attempting to show the world that, thanks to the power of social media, the internet, and modern technology, a very captivating film can be made by people across continents. The movie Timecode comes to mind. It was feature length film with a basic storyline but it's innovative approach was what made it unique.

Thoughts? Comments?

myownself
05-01-2013, 01:11 PM
The thing that makes this innovative is the connecting of the story through people that can't meet face to face the whole entire movie.

Vance Baryn
05-01-2013, 01:43 PM
I agree with doing a short as a proof of concept, and then proceeding with a feature. Maybe release the short online to built up some buzz and anticipation for the feature.

Patrick Wiley
05-01-2013, 03:11 PM
I can live with the idea of making a short provided the end goal is a feature, but I don't want to think of it in the sense of "lets make a short and then if that works we'll kind of maybe consider doing a feature this way in a few years or possibly more". I want it in the sense of "lets make this short as a practice run for a feature we're planning to do right after".

And with that in mind the practice short should be very short, like 15 minutes max.

I'll point out that if we go this route there's a risk people will no longer be in the fantastic locations they are now.

At this point I'm less concerned about us aiming too high and failing as I am about aiming too low and succeeding.