PDA

View Full Version : Writing

Nick Soares
04-30-2013, 08:43 AM
Discuss writing/ideas here

(You might have posted some great posts in this topic (http://www.filmmakerforum.org/general-discussion/1973-lets-make-film.html) feel free to copy paste it here)

Patrick Wiley
04-30-2013, 10:10 AM
Here are my suggestions for how to decide our story:

First off it sounds like we've got pretty much unanimous support for making it a multi location project. Unless someone raises a major objection I think this is a given.

Now there was also strong support for having it start as a recorded skype chat where one person gets killed. Someone claimed this would be very challenging however it mainly sounded like the challenge comes from making it in a third person narrative style. If done in a first person ARG style we can simply run a real recording of a skype chat. This might be worth a poll.

The first thing that definitely needs a pole is what format to make this. Do we go short film? Feature? Web series? My vote is for an ARG style web series personally.

Now we get into ideas we've only touched on a little. First supernatural elements. I'm very much in favor of these. I think we should poll this one.

Second, if we vote for supernatural elements should we try and make it a Slendervlog. I'm VERY in favor of this not just because I'm a fan of the mythos but also because it can get us a built in fan base.

myownself
04-30-2013, 10:36 AM
I think that we should go with a feature length because as somebody mentioned, it was researched, and nothing like this has been done before for a feature film. We have the potential to make cinematic history with this!

A Slendervlog would be cool, but I don't think it would work to well with a feature film.

Patrick Wiley
04-30-2013, 11:08 AM
I think the premise lends itself better to an online ARG. Our access to different locations would automatically give us an edge over every other ARG I've ever seen. It would certainly blow existing Slendervlogs out of the water if we went with that mythos. Plus we have a very easy framing device and explanation for how all these videos are coming in from across the world, one of them opens a youtube channel to upload his own footage, then gives the others the passwords so they can upload what they find.

I'm concerned that if we go the route of feature film we'll need to hold all our satellite units to a standard of production value that they may not all be able to accomplish. People have different expectations for online videos verses feature films. When people browse youtube they expect to see quite a few videos shot on iphones. When people sit down in a theater they expect to see something shot in hi def.

Found footage films are incredibly common these days and I wouldn't be surprised if there's already an international found footage film out there. That it would be a major bust to put everything into a medium on the basis that it's revolutionary to that medium only to discover we've been beaten to the punch. I'm of the belief that online content is the future of entertainment, in fact if we made this film it would probably just end up online anyway hosted on netfilxs, hulu ect. I think making ARG history is just as appealing as making cinematic history and I think it's also more realistic.

Anyway I think it's up to everyone involved to help decide this so lets start with a poll for what medium we're going with.

myownself
04-30-2013, 11:17 AM
This is different from all the other found footage films I've seen though.

OffMindEnt
04-30-2013, 12:45 PM
Here is my suggestion for the plot:

Title: LUCID

Logline: An expert of LUCID dreams (dreams where you have total control, you are aware that you are dreaming, therefore you can do whatever you want or create a whole world, see: The Matrix, Inception) comes to the realization, that the dream world where he visits every night is the real world, and the world he thought was real, is a dream.

Why I think this would lend itself to a project like this. For one this way the entire movie could have the same character(s), there could be one longer segment, that would be the "wrap-a-round segment" in the "real" world, and groups from all over the world could create the different dreams. In some dreams he could dream himself as another person, some dreams could be shot from his POV entirely etc.

This could also mean greater freedom for each segment director. One dream could be a nightmare, so it would be a little horror short, one could be action, one fantasy etc.

This way, even if some segments use different cameras, maybe have lower production values, it wouldn't matter so much, because the dreams will be different too.

Let me know what you think. The plot wouldn't have to be exactly like my logline. The possibilities of a dream world could lend itself for all kinds of plots.

Patrick Wiley
04-30-2013, 01:16 PM
That sounds like it would require higher budgets to make descent dream sequences.

SamuelR74
04-30-2013, 01:31 PM
I think the premise lends itself better to an online ARG. Our access to different locations would automatically give us an edge over every other ARG I've ever seen. It would certainly blow existing Slendervlogs out of the water if we went with that mythos. Plus we have a very easy framing device and explanation for how all these videos are coming in from across the world, one of them opens a youtube channel to upload his own footage, then gives the others the passwords so they can upload what they find.

I'm concerned that if we go the route of feature film we'll need to hold all our satellite units to a standard of production value that they may not all be able to accomplish. People have different expectations for online videos verses feature films. When people browse youtube they expect to see quite a few videos shot on iphones. When people sit down in a theater they expect to see something shot in hi def.

Found footage films are incredibly common these days and I wouldn't be surprised if there's already an international found footage film out there. That it would be a major bust to put everything into a medium on the basis that it's revolutionary to that medium only to discover we've been beaten to the punch. I'm of the belief that online content is the future of entertainment, in fact if we made this film it would probably just end up online anyway hosted on netfilxs, hulu ect. I think making ARG history is just as appealing as making cinematic history and I think it's also more realistic.

Anyway I think it's up to everyone involved to help decide this so lets start with a poll for what medium we're going with.

I like the idea of an ARG/Slendervlog-style film. But other than the fact that we are all combining our footage from various locations into one film, how would our film be unique and different from EveryManHybrid and the like? It seems like we would only be adding one different element to an otherwise over-used format. I may be completely wrong and/or missing something, so feel free to enlighten me.

Patrick Wiley
04-30-2013, 02:03 PM
I like the idea of an ARG/Slendervlog-style film. But other than the fact that we are all combining our footage from various locations into one film, how would our film be unique and different from EveryManHybrid and the like? It seems like we would only be adding one different element to an otherwise over-used format. I may be completely wrong and/or missing something, so feel free to enlighten me.

Well I for one think the multiple locations alone would make us stand out from the existing series. The Slenderman and some of his proxies are supposedly able to teleport at will, yet that's rarely used to full effect. The fact that he never seems to warp anyone more then a few miles from their house gets kind of conspicuous. Beyond that there are lots of new elements we can ad. For example I've had ideas for incorporating the science of electromagnetic fields into the mythos. I'd also considered a story element in which we directly acknowledge the internet myth nature of Slenderman only to discover that this is in fact a case of retroactive continuity, Slenderman actually goes back in time and removes evidence his own existence.

I think we can make our story different in terms of writing structure as well. Almost all of the Slendervlogs I've seen end up dragging on and at a certain point it seems like there's no conclusions in sight. Its fine for certain things to be open ended and confusing but many of them just seem like they've taken the same strategy as Lost, namely, throwing out random mysterious incidents most of which you never explain and just hope the audience forgets. We can have a more concise script with a clear direction, more skilled filmmakers at the helm and better actors (many vlogs resort to using terrible actors due to their limited talent pool and need for more characters, we'll each have a fresh talent pool to draw on).

At the end of the day what's going to be unique about this film is its methods. I don't really subscribe to the cult of originality. I believe all creativity comes from applying a new perspective to existing things. I think we can find new perspectives for the Slendervlog. I don't believe any premise we come up with will be purely original.

SamuelR74
04-30-2013, 02:08 PM
Well I for one think the multiple locations alone would make us stand out from the existing series. The Slenderman and some of his proxies are supposedly able to teleport at will, yet that's rarely used to full effect. The fact that he never seems to warp anyone more then a few miles from their house gets kind of conspicuous. Beyond that there are lots of new elements we can ad. For example I've had ideas for incorporating the science of electromagnetic fields into the mythos. I'd also considered a story element in which we directly acknowledge the internet myth nature of Slenderman only to discover that this is in fact a case of retroactive continuity, Slenderman actually goes back in time and removes evidence his own existence.

I think we can make our story different in terms of writing structure as well. Almost all of the Slendervlogs I've seen end up dragging on and at a certain point it seems like there's no conclusions in sight. Its fine for certain things to be open ended and confusing but many of them just seem like they've taken the same strategy as Lost, namely, throwing out random mysterious incidents most of which you never explain and just hope the audience forgets. We can have a more concise script with a clear direction, more skilled filmmakers at the helm and better actors (many vlogs resort to using terrible actors due to their limited talent pool and need for more characters, we'll each have a fresh talent pool to draw on).

At the end of the day what's going to be unique about this film is its methods. I don't really subscribe to the cult of originality. I believe all creativity comes from applying a new perspective to existing things. I think we can find new perspectives for the Slendervlog. I don't believe any premise we come up with will be purely original.

Thank you for this response and clarification. :D

Vance Baryn
04-30-2013, 02:28 PM
I'm going to have to put myself down as pretty strongly against making it a slendervlog. If we make our project around a current fad, it's doomed to die when the fad dies. There are already popular slendervlogs out there. We would be copying someone else's idea and playing second fiddle to them.

Also, an ARG isn't a film, is it? It's rather like if person A were to say "Hey, let's record an album!" and person B pipes in "I've got an idea for our album. Let's put on a concert once a week perpetually for the foreseeable future!" Person B may have a good idea, but it is not an idea related to person A's idea.

Patrick Wiley
04-30-2013, 02:43 PM
I'm going to have to put myself down as pretty strongly against making it a slendervlog. If we make our project around a current fad, it's doomed to die when the fad dies. There are already popular slendervlogs out there. We would be copying someone else's idea and playing second fiddle to them.

Well it's hard to determine what will remain a fad and what will remain popular. I see the slenderverse more as a cult following then a fad, cult followings tend to stay consistent.

I don't think we'd be playing second fiddle if we surpass all existing series in quality. In the current rundown of vlogs it's actually the later ones I like the most. Marble Hornets lacked compelling characters and had no real direction to its plot, they've used the "hey look we found more tapes" escape way to often. My favorite story wise is Tribe Twelve, and I consider DarkHarvest00 to be the scariest.

Also, an ARG isn't a film, is it? It's rather like if person A were to say "Hey, let's record an album!" and person B pipes in "I've got an idea for our album. Let's put on a concert once a week perpetually for the foreseeable future!" Person B may have a good idea, but it is not an idea related to person A's idea.

I think that's a rather silly false equivalency. When this was launched the idea was just to make a short film. When we began discussing it we came up with the idea of using our distance to our advantage with people running satellite units. With that in mind making a single self contained short film quickly fell out of favor and we became interested in something more ambitious. Right now the top voted medium is a feature film. So far no one's voted to just make a single short.

ARGs are usually composed of videos with supplementary material on the sides. ARGs don't always run ad infinitum. For example a while back there was an ARG called "Inside Experience" which ran for a fixed period of time. When you get right down to it there's no functional difference between running an ARG and running a web-series which features some promotional social media (which almost all web-series today do). So it's not at all like the difference between an album and an endless series of concerts.

OffMindEnt
04-30-2013, 02:52 PM
That sounds like it would require higher budgets to make descent dream sequences.

Not necessarily. It wouldn't have to be a CGI-heavy effects piece.

Also the different locations around the world equal instant production value. Just an interesting location with good camerawork and music could make it look like an other worldly place.

Just throwing an idea out there. A dream movie would give each director more freedom to to express themselves and try different things. It should still have an exciting script and an addictive narrative though.

Vance Baryn
04-30-2013, 03:00 PM
When you get right down to it there's no functional difference between running an ARG and running a web-series which features some promotional social media (which almost all web-series today do). So it's not at all like the difference between an album and an endless series of concerts.

I think if you re-read this part a few times, you'll find that it actually supports my analogy rather than disagrees with it.

Patrick Wiley
04-30-2013, 03:10 PM
Not necessarily. It wouldn't have to be a CGI-heavy effects piece.

Also the different locations around the world equal instant production value. Just an interesting location with good camerawork and music could make it look like an other worldly place.

Just throwing an idea out there. A dream movie would give each director more freedom to to express themselves and try different things. It should still have an exciting script and an addictive narrative though.

I don't mean we'd have to add expensive CGI, but at the very least we need people with professional grade cameras and sound equipment (we could maybe get away with one or two that lack audio by having a surreal lack of wild sound). I for one don't dream in iphone videos.

I think if you re-read this part a few times, you'll find that it actually supports my analogy rather than disagrees with it.

Only in the very loose sense.

Putting on a single concert, let alone a series of them is an extremely expensive and time consuming feat which requires considerable planning and logistics. Adding ARG elements to a web series is free and anyone with an internet connection can do it.

A more apt analogy would be if a band wanted to record a single, but decided they'd rather record a whole album, then finally a band member suggested they create a blog, a facebook and a twitter account to promote the album.

Vance Baryn
04-30-2013, 03:32 PM
Oh, I didn't mean to imply that your slendervlog idea was more expensive or difficult than making a film. Not at all. The type of concert I was thinking was something down at the local pub.

In any case, that's just my opinion, and now I've stated it. We'll see what other people think.

Patrick Wiley
04-30-2013, 03:45 PM
Yeah, I think we should vote on style next, Narrative vs Found Footage seem to be the main options.

At the same time we can talk genres:

Since there are so many I think the best system is a series of "Yes/No" votes. If we line up five or six genres we might end up with one vote for five of them and two for the sixth, but the sixth might be an idea that the other five people absolutely hated. Since some genres are not mutually exclusive we can combine them if they receive high support. If some are contradictory we can have them face off in a new poll.

So here's the "yes/no" genre picks I think are worth considering many have been brought up already:

-Supernatural
-Surreal
-Techno-thriller (hackers/cyberterrorism having a North Korean unit could be a huge plus)
-Horror
-Murder mystery/conspiracy

Vance Baryn
04-30-2013, 03:59 PM
Personally, I am not a fan of found footage style at all. I understand that aspiring film makers are attracted to it because it is much cheaper to shoot, but it has really been done to death. Blair Witch was interesting and all, but did we really need so many movies copying the style after that?

So, yeah, I vote normal narrative film.

-Supernatural: Yes
-Surreal: Yes
-Techno-thriller: Yes
-Horror: Yes
-Murder mystery/conspiricy: Yes
-Science Fiction: Yes

I added one you missed at the end there ;-)

Patrick Wiley
04-30-2013, 04:04 PM
Oh yeah I meant to add sci fi.

Director
04-30-2013, 09:13 PM
First, I think only doing a feature film is the worth this effort, and anything short of that is a waste of time. I don't really remember anyone saying this would be a short film, although I could be wrong.

Also, I'm completely against just giving it away on YouTube, or any other tube. By having a feature and submitting it to some festivals using withoutabox.com guarantees all of us IMDB credits. So does distribution, in which case we should let Nick's company work that out.

Secondly, using different camera styles is just fine, as long as the story is well written, well acted and editing professionally.

Third, we can do CGi and make it look great in post, as long as the pieces that require effects are properly recorded for the effects person. I can do a lot of those.

And lastly, there should be just one editing person to ensure editing quality, color, etc.. All clips can be uploaded using DropBox, or another FTP account. It's no big deal.

Vance Baryn
04-30-2013, 10:33 PM
First, I think only doing a feature film is the worth this effort, and anything short of that is a waste of time. I don't really remember anyone saying this would be a short film, although I could be wrong.

Also, I'm completely against just giving it away on YouTube, or any other tube. By having a feature and submitting it to some festivals using withoutabox.com guarantees all of us IMDB credits. So does distribution, in which case we should let Nick's company work that out.

Secondly, using different camera styles is just fine, as long as the story is well written, well acted and editing professionally.

Third, we can do CGi and make it look great in post, as long as the pieces that require effects are properly recorded for the effects person. I can do a lot of those.

And lastly, there should be just one editing person to ensure editing quality, color, etc.. All clips can be uploaded using DropBox, or another FTP account. It's no big deal.

I completely agree with you on most points. The one where I tend to differ a little is on editing. It seems to me that each location crew could have an editor. Maybe they don't necessarily have to, but could. Although as I've said in another thread, I think color grading, audio sweetening, compositing, and other effects should all be done by one person to ensure consistency.

mara
05-01-2013, 06:00 AM
Separate from the ideas, I'll just offer up what I would be interested/willing to do: I don't want to do the writing (up to my ears in other stuff) but I would be very willing/interested to read and make suggestions on story structure, dialogue, formatting, etc.

Patrick Wiley
05-01-2013, 09:44 AM
So here's a new idea I've come up with. The fact that we have a location in Korea got me thinking.

We go with the Skype opening. Our characters are a group of high profile hackers. They met in college studying computer science/programing. Some of them hack for financial gain while others just do it as a hobby, challenging themselves to see how far they can go. One of them, who now lives in Korea, sends an encrypted file to the group. Before he can explain what it is someone breaks into his house and kills him. All they know about the file is that it has a military grade encryption.

They eventually discover that the file is from the North Korean military. What exactly it is can vary but my thinking is it relates to cyber terrorism. My first thought is it is a powerful new virus that can spread through the internet like a plague wiping out financial records and generally sending the World Economy into chaos.

mara
05-01-2013, 09:58 AM
Rather than him sending them the virus, wouldn't it be more likely that he was cluing them in as to its existence, and perhaps the need for them to "use their special skills for good not evil"? So they need to find it & de-activate it, thus saving the world for another day?

OffMindEnt
05-01-2013, 10:15 AM
I think we should start a new thread where everyone who wants to can submit their idea. After that we could start a poll where everyone could vote the idea they like the best.

The one's that get the most votes would go to the "next round" where we could figure out how to make the plot work, maybe take some ideas from some of the other story ideas and combine them to the final script.

That way everyone would have a chance to get their idea out there, and everyone could vote. Fair deal for everybody.
What do you think?

Patrick Wiley
05-01-2013, 11:01 AM
Rather than him sending them the virus, wouldn't it be more likely that he was cluing them in as to its existence, and perhaps the need for them to "use their special skills for good not evil"? So they need to find it & de-activate it, thus saving the world for another day?

That could work too. Another thing I'd considered was that the file is not actually the virus itself but a network key to access it.

I think we should start a new thread where everyone who wants to can submit their idea. After that we could start a poll where everyone could vote the idea they like the best.

The one's that get the most votes would go to the "next round" where we could figure out how to make the plot work, maybe take some ideas from some of the other story ideas and combine them to the final script.

That way everyone would have a chance to get their idea out there, and everyone could vote. Fair deal for everybody.
What do you think?

My thinking was we first narrow it down by style and genre. Also instead of a single poll I suggest a yes/no vote for each pitch. If we have five or six pitches then one pitch could win with only two votes yet be a pitch everyone else hated. Yes/No followed by direct elimination will prevent this.

myownself
05-01-2013, 11:17 AM
I really like this Korea plot. It could get pretty big especially with all the Korea stuff going on right now.

Director
05-01-2013, 09:31 PM
First, let me apologize for this lengthy post.

So, here's my movie idea in logline.

“A man’s innocently misdialed phone call sets off a chain of events affecting people around the world in both positive and negative ways.”

With this type premise, we could come up with hundreds of ways this could go. Meaning, it doesn’t have to start with a phone call, it could begin with someone robbing a liquor store in Detroit, or a guy buying a hooker in Bangkok, only to discover the prostitute’s a guy. Or a woman floating off a dead loved one down the Ganges River in India (yes, they do that, ask Zen).

Here’s a humorous example, and remember, it’s just an example:

A couple is standing on a pier arguing. The man tells the woman the wedding is off (for whatever reason). As he walks away leaving her standing there in tears, she pulls off her engagement ring and flings it into the ocean, where a fish immediately swallows it and swims on.

We see the fish swim into a fishing net. Topside, some Asian men are hauling it in. We follow the fish as it is packed in ice and stamped: U.S.A.

A restaurant in Los Angeles: A couple sets down for a meal. The man orders fish. It’s that fish. The woman is subtly badgering him to marry her when he starts choking. Someone from another table recognizes what’s going on and grabs the man to perform the Heimlich maneuver, which dislodges the engagement ring in his throat.

The ring shoots from his mouth landing in his girlfriend’s plate. She slips it on her finger thinking it’s some elaborate proposal gag. She announces it to the entire restaurant, which breaks into applause. Before the man can even compose himself, his fate is sealed.

However it starts, it ends by affecting someone else in another part of the world.

Again, I imagine there will be between 5 to 7 crews, with each crew shooting about 15 minutes worth. With this method, we give all writers a chance to contribute, and directors the opportunity to showcase their styles.

This script can be written in a way to make this easy to shoot, cheap to shoot, yet interesting enough to hold a viewing audience.

Also, to an extent, we could actually mix genres. As long as each piece segues seamlessly into the next.

Let me know what you think?

sol115g
05-01-2013, 10:39 PM
I would love to help out with the film. I believe it would help to first vote on a genre for the film. Then start with writing a screenplay.

Patrick Wiley
05-02-2013, 08:55 AM
First, let me apologize for this lengthy post.

So, here's my movie idea in logline.

“A man’s innocently misdialed phone call sets off a chain of events affecting people around the world in both positive and negative ways.”

With this type premise, we could come up with hundreds of ways this could go. Meaning, it doesn’t have to start with a phone call, it could begin with someone robbing a liquor store in Detroit, or a guy buying a hooker in Bangkok, only to discover the prostitute’s a guy. Or a woman floating off a dead loved one down the Ganges River in India (yes, they do that, ask Zen).

Here’s a humorous example, and remember, it’s just an example:

A couple is standing on a pier arguing. The man tells the woman the wedding is off (for whatever reason). As he walks away leaving her standing there in tears, she pulls off her engagement ring and flings it into the ocean, where a fish immediately swallows it and swims on.

We see the fish swim into a fishing net. Topside, some Asian men are hauling it in. We follow the fish as it is packed in ice and stamped: U.S.A.

A restaurant in Los Angeles: A couple sets down for a meal. The man orders fish. It’s that fish. The woman is subtly badgering him to marry her when he starts choking. Someone from another table recognizes what’s going on and grabs the man to perform the Heimlich maneuver, which dislodges the engagement ring in his throat.

The ring shoots from his mouth landing in his girlfriend’s plate. She slips it on her finger thinking it’s some elaborate proposal gag. She announces it to the entire restaurant, which breaks into applause. Before the man can even compose himself, his fate is sealed.

However it starts, it ends by affecting someone else in another part of the world.

Again, I imagine there will be between 5 to 7 crews, with each crew shooting about 15 minutes worth. With this method, we give all writers a chance to contribute, and directors the opportunity to showcase their styles.

This script can be written in a way to make this easy to shoot, cheap to shoot, yet interesting enough to hold a viewing audience.

Also, to an extent, we could actually mix genres. As long as each piece segues seamlessly into the next.

Let me know what you think?

I'm going to be blunt. I've seen this kind of story before. There's actually a whole Simpsons episode that goes like this, each sketch leads into the next with something at the conclusion of one sketch effecting the events of the one that follows. It's a staple of the Monty Python series and also used in the film The Phantom of Liberty. The most damning thing about it is at first all I could remember was I'd seen it before. It took me a few minutes to actually come up with the examples which tells me the style doesn't make for a particularly memorable piece.

dory811
05-02-2013, 09:39 AM

I think the logline at it's heart is a really effective way to get a story started that will work for this idea of filming one feature with many different teams and styles.

I dont think it matters if it's been done before, because that's really true of most ideas in some respect, and what is done with an idea in the hands of one filmmaker isn't usually a testament to what it can become when another filmmaker get ahold of it. (this is just my opinion, who knows though?)

Mixing Genre's is an interesting idea, if each director and writer gets to put their own style into it, then I think we should give that up to the editors too. Of course we would need a lead editor to put it all together in the end.

I was thinking maybe we could do something of an Anthology, has anyone here seen V/H/S...I dont mean to suggest we do the same exact thing, but finding a way to tie multiple shorts together tie together by a larger story could be fun.

Director
05-02-2013, 02:48 PM
I'm going to be blunt. I've seen this kind of story before. There's actually a whole Simpsons episode that goes like this, each sketch leads into the next with something at the conclusion of one sketch effecting the events of the one that follows. It's a staple of the Monty Python series and also used in the film The Phantom of Liberty. The most damning thing about it is at first all I could remember was I'd seen it before. It took me a few minutes to actually come up with the examples which tells me the style doesn't make for a particularly memorable piece.

Patrick, I don't mind blunt. I am often blunt myself. Saves time.

However, as dory811 pointed out, just because this didn't work in the past doesn't mean it won't work for us.

Again, the logic behind this format is: easy to shoot - low cost to no cost - allows writers more freedom to create - allows directors more freedom to create - allows for multiple genres - ease of editing - doesn't matter if footage looks strikingly dissimilar.

By not doing it this way: Different direction styles with stick out like a sore thumb - if using multiple writers, writing styles could clash like a train wreck.

In conclusion: I don't think we're going for an Oscar on this one. I think the whole point is to put something together and see what comes out. Personally, the most I'm looking for is just another IMDB credit. If more than that comes out, then it's just gravy.

Holla back at a brotha

Patrick Wiley
05-02-2013, 04:44 PM
However, as dory811 pointed out, just because this didn't work in the past doesn't mean it won't work for us.

I agree with that on principle but my question is what will make our version different?

Again, the logic behind this format is: easy to shoot - low cost to no cost -

That would depend on what the vignettes end up being.

allows writers more freedom to create -

As a writer this doesn't sound like it would give me much freedom. It's restricting me to very short vignettes.

allows directors more freedom to create - allows for multiple genres - ease of editing - doesn't matter if footage looks strikingly dissimilar.

By not doing it this way: Different direction styles with stick out like a sore thumb - if using multiple writers, writing styles could clash like a train wreck.

Perhaps but I think there are better ways to get around these limitations. It's my understanding only two people are slated as writers right now. I think it will be more impressive if directors managed to find a common thread in their unique styles.

Director
05-02-2013, 07:40 PM
I agree with that on principle but my question is what will make our version different?

That would depend on what the vignettes end up being.

As a writer this doesn't sound like it would give me much freedom. It's restricting me to very short vignettes.

Perhaps but I think there are better ways to get around these limitations. It's my understanding only two people are slated as writers right now. I think it will be more impressive if directors managed to find a common thread in their unique styles.

Ok, how about this. Maybe everyone that wants to write, complete a 100 page script, taking into account locations, and no budget, and then we all vote on which script will be shot?

Patrick Wiley
05-02-2013, 08:08 PM
Ok, how about this. Maybe everyone that wants to write, complete a 100 page script, taking into account locations, and no budget, and then we all vote on which script will be shot?

That's sort of what we're doing. Only first we're narrowing it down by styles and genres. Also quite a few people wanted to start with a short as a proof of concept.

Vance Baryn
05-02-2013, 08:54 PM
I like the idea, Director. Patrick does have a point that we need to decide whether we are going to do a short or a feature, though. Nick seems to be in favor of a short which kind of pushes it in that direction.

Stonemode
05-03-2013, 02:06 PM
Please let me know when the writing starts. I want to contribute.

Patrick Wiley
05-03-2013, 02:30 PM
Please let me know when the writing starts. I want to contribute.

I submitted a potential script. I'd appreciate your feedback.

Stonemode
05-03-2013, 02:42 PM
I submitted a potential script. I'd appreciate your feedback.

How do I get to read it?

Patrick Wiley
05-03-2013, 03:35 PM
It's in the "Scripts" thread as an attached file.

Stonemode
05-04-2013, 03:34 AM
It's in the "Scripts" thread as an attached file.

Just read it. Not bad, good story.

Patrick Wiley
05-04-2013, 09:57 AM
Thanks.

Zen 786
06-27-2013, 11:05 PM
Hey Director, that's a great idea!

Director
06-28-2013, 07:37 PM
Hey Director, that's a great idea!

Thanks Zen, that makes two of us :/