PDA

View Full Version : Editing a Film That You Don't Want to Edit

The Camera Man
04-23-2013, 05:11 AM
How would you go about this?

Me and a friend are going insane due to the horrific gig that we have filmed and now have to edit. I'm sure this is relatable; having to sit through that scene/those scenes that you take an active hatred towards over and over again until you get it right, it's agony.

This isn't necessarily a life or death situation, I know, but I was wondering how you experienced folk get through it these times of sorrow

Vance Baryn
04-23-2013, 07:53 AM
Sorry, can't relate. I love editing, seeing all my hard work finally coming together. Nothing better. I'll spend days without sleep editing until I collapse from exhaustion then wake up and go right back to it.

payperfilm
04-23-2013, 08:26 AM
I'm sort of in that situation right now. I'm creatively fatigued. I wrote and directed. Now I'm editing my feature film. I'm ready to move on but have to stick to it.

2001 Productions
04-23-2013, 09:36 AM
I'm with Vance on this one. I've gathered the raw materials, now it's time to sculpt a work of art out of them.

Don't know about you, but I find that shooting the footage - while enjoyable - is often frustrating and nerve-wracking because of all the compromises that have to be made, especially in the micro-budget world. I'm constantly concerned whether I'm getting enough coverage, and whether what I'm getting will be worth a damn.

Then, when I start cutting and the story starts to come together, its a huge load off my mind and my initial enthusiasm for the material is rekindled.

Of course, the obvious answer to your dilemma is to find someone else to edit the film for you. That's probably not a bad idea anyway, since a fresh perspective can only improve the cut, particularly if your own efforts are being undertaken begrudgingly.

Smiley
04-23-2013, 09:52 AM
I have had to do editing projects at school and didn't care too much for it because I didn't film them! My main focus at school is editing but the last thing I want to do is an editing project that I had no major role in the production.

Sleazypanda
04-23-2013, 10:23 AM
if its your job to edit man...well its time to accept that life sucks. if this is your project then you shouldnt release it with the way your talking about it. everything ive ever made was me just waiting for post so i could get on my computer and do something i actually know how to do, hahaha but just push through it if you dont like it i guess its all you can do.

Director
04-23-2013, 10:26 AM
If it's something you wrote and filmed, then you've got a problem. If it's something someone else wrote, and it sucks, yeah, it's a little harder to take. But post is really where it all comes together, and if you don't learn to love the magic involved, you probably are cheating yourself in the long run. All great filmmakers are involved in the editing process from start to finish.

Nick Soares
04-23-2013, 10:33 AM
How would you go about this?

Me and a friend are going insane due to the horrific gig that we have filmed and now have to edit. I'm sure this is relatable; having to sit through that scene/those scenes that you take an active hatred towards over and over again until you get it right, it's agony.

This isn't necessarily a life or death situation, I know, but I was wondering how you experienced folk get through it these times of sorrow

I can relate - 12 years ago when I was first starting learning the basics of the camera and lighting I forced myself to offer a free video for a company. Ended up being the worst choice (But not really because I learned from it)

And that is the way you need to look at this, turn this moment in your life as a learning experience and you will now know more then you did before. You will now know who not to film with, or maybe you did something wrong either way take this and learn and become better.

The Camera Man
04-23-2013, 01:10 PM
Don't get me wrong, I have enjoyed editing films in the past that I have enjoyed shooting, this is the first time I have ever edited a film that I don't really want to edit. I'm more of a camera operator than an editor. I guess it differs on the individual

Vance Baryn
04-23-2013, 01:22 PM
Yep. If everyone wanted to do the same job, it'd be pretty hard to get a film made.

MrJay10
04-23-2013, 03:41 PM
I can definitely relate to this topic. I mean I'm with Vance though I could edit non-stop no matter what the project is. To me, editing is editing. Personally I think it's even more fun then the production itself. It's like a drug because you don't have to wait on other people. The film is now totally in your hands, I love it!

khathawayart
04-24-2013, 10:14 PM

=============

I'm not sure I understand. You and a friend filmed it--and it's so bad it won't cut together? That's what I'm reading, but I think something's missing from the story.

I'm an editor at heart--figured it out in film school: put me in a dark room {I met my wife there} with the footage and leave me alone. I shoot stuff for clients so I can edit. I'm currently editing a feature a friend shot -- that isn't so great -- so it's frustrating when there's no story to dramatize.

Not sure what happened on set, but it sounds pretty bad.

Kurt Hathaway
-------------------
VikingDream7 Productions
Video Production & Editing

khathawayart[at]gmail.com

The Camera Man
04-25-2013, 12:48 AM
I'm not sure I understand. You and a friend filmed it--and it's so bad it won't cut together? That's what I'm reading, but I think something's missing from the story.

No, it's just unbearable to sit through, the performances where terrible. We find it tedious to sit through them over and over again while editing

khathawayart
04-25-2013, 04:00 PM
Oh, that's bad. If it's bad for you guys, it's gonna be torture for an audience.

Kurt Hathaway
khathawayart[at]gmail.com

Vance Baryn
04-25-2013, 04:04 PM
Yeah... sorry to say it, man, but if even you can't stand the thing, it may be time to cut your losses. Call it a learning experience and move on to the next project.

Patrick Wiley
04-25-2013, 06:59 PM
Are you getting paid? I had to edit a pretty terrible film as a paying gig. I just had to keep thinking about the money obviously. It also helps to find some little thing about it which is fun. For me that was doing post sound on a mass beat down. I was actually kind of proud of that one aspect.

The Camera Man
04-27-2013, 04:41 AM
Are you getting paid? I had to edit a pretty terrible film as a paying gig. I just had to keep thinking about the money obviously. It also helps to find some little thing about it which is fun. For me that was doing post sound on a mass beat down. I was actually kind of proud of that one aspect.

She gave us 10 each as a 'Thank You' for filming before editing. This project is mainly to submit as Multi Camera projects at college and experience

Oh, that's bad. If it's bad for you guys, it's gonna be torture for an audience.

Which is the worst part. We'll do our best!