PDA

View Full Version : MyJourney - "From nothing, to Network Partner"

Klay M Abele
04-19-2013, 07:35 AM
Hello!
I wanted to share with you my journey through YouTube, but before that, I'm Klay Abele, a full-time video producer living in North Carolina. I won't go to deep into my history as if you are interested, here is a video that sheds more light in that area.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5AzyUgCMxI

Now, for my story with youtube.

I first joined YouTube in 2006 where all I wanted to do was make stupid videos with my friends, no joke, they sucked. All I had was a Sony MiniDV Handycam and I wasn't really even interested in film yet. I continued making dumb videos until my discovery of film while at the Art Institute of Pittsburgh, when I say dumb videos, I mean, shooting fireworks at my roommate.

Let's continue, the first video of mine that ever did well was a kinetic typography done on the show The Office. From then on I slowly uploaded videos here and there, mostly all short films from film school.

The next milestone was when I was able to monetize videos, this didn't happen until July of 2012. You could say that this was more of a catalyst for me, as I began to put more effort in creating content. Sad to say I was only making about $.10 to $.30 a day I was still optimistic. It wasn't until I released my short film, Dead on Arrival, that I saw an increase of $1 dollar in one day! Oh boy was I excited! Then it settled down to around $.45 a day, this did not discourage me. I then set out to make more videos, I thought, "Hey, I could do tutorials on the short films I shot and double the content, and help other filmmakers out!" So I did the frozen action tutorial along with the Element 3D tutorial. They soon cultured and picked up steam.

At this point I began to look into proper SEO on youtube and getting videos out to the public, because frankly, just posting them on YouTube will not yield the views in most cases.

So I searched for relevant forums to post my content, I even had 'Dead on Arrival' featured on the site http://www.dailydead.com.

Then one day my Frozen action tutorial blew up on some Eurasian site (Finland to be exact) and the views poured in, in a very short time. I was earning $2-$3 a day for a good two weeks straight. Not to mention I went from a stagnant 400 Subs, to 1,400 Subs in the same time span. At this point I knew I need to keep creating content, and so I reached out to the YouTube network, Fullscreen.

Fullscreen replied back the next day and after accepting the contract terms, I was now partnered. What does that mean? Partners get certain benefits and it varies from network to network. With Fullscreen, I get access to a royalty-free audio library, Gorilla Campaigns (which is like sponsors), the Youtube Banner, creator forums, and the promotion that Fullscreen does (if you create good content). That is just an overview of partner benefits, they do however take a cut from your earnings as does every network, the percentages vary per contract.

Anyway, back on track, that leads us to now. I've only been a partner for less than a month so I can not give a full critique on the experience. I would however love to answer any questions that you might have. I will also use this post as a journal and update it as I progress.

Here is my channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/MrKlay

Director
04-19-2013, 08:25 AM
Great story Klay. Would you mind sharing how you did your YouTube SEO?

Nick Soares
04-19-2013, 08:28 AM
Hey great post!!! What are some of the benefits that being a partner will offer?

What made you say, "yes, this is worth it" when you signed the terms.

SamuelR74
04-19-2013, 10:21 AM
That's an incredible and impressive story. So happy you're experiences are breeding success. Keep it up!! More importantly....THANK YOU for serving our country and putting your life on the line for our freedoms!

Klay M Abele
04-19-2013, 10:59 AM

Sure, what I've learned is to utilize tags properly. Use the google keyword tool to find what your content most relates to in search results.

Make a list of possible searches someone looking for your content might type in google. Apply the main tags to your title and description. Try to keep the tags within the first 120 characters of the description. When youtube displays a description with your video it will most likely only include the first 120 characters.

Make an eye catching Thumbnail, include faces if possible. People like faces (From what I've researched).

And add annotations, this most likely won't help SEO but connecting your videos together is very smart (connect in a relevant way). Also use annotations to drive subs/likes/shares. Don't be afraid of using annotations throughout! if you see an opportunity to say something extra when you watch through your videos take advantage of it.

Here is a site that may help.

http://www.internetmarketingbootcamp.org/how-to-get-your-youtube-videos-on-page-one-of-google

Klay M Abele
04-19-2013, 11:28 AM

Sure, what I've learned is to utilize tags properly. Use the google keyword tool to find what your content most relates to in search results.

Make a list of possible searches someone looking for your content might type in google. Apply the main tags to your title and description. Try to keep the tags within the first 120 characters of the description. When youtube displays a description with your video it will most likely only include the first 120 characters.

Make an eye catching Thumbnail, include faces if possible. People like faces (From what I've researched).

And add annotations, this most likely won't help SEO but connecting your videos together is very smart (connect in a relevant way). Also use annotations to drive subs/likes/shares. Don't be afraid of using annotations throughout! if you see an opportunity to say something extra when you watch through your videos take advantage of it.

Here is a site that may help.

http://www.internetmarketingbootcamp.org/how-to-get-your-youtube-videos-on-page-one-of-google

Anonymous Filmmaker
04-19-2013, 12:30 PM
Have you found any limits due to the Partner Program? (copy write issues, etc.)

Klay M Abele
04-19-2013, 01:21 PM
Have you found any limits due to the Partner Program? (copy write issues, etc.)

Are you referring to them owning my content that I create? If so, no, I retain all copyright ownership. Do look out for this issue if you sign with a network, some networks are sketchy about this.

And to answer Nick, I made the decision that I needed the assistance of a network to build sub's, as they do promote certain videos via twitter and their YT channel.

Also what had me was the Gorilla Campaigns where they give you something to promote and when someone views the promoted content, you receive anywhere from $5-$50 per view. Very helpful, I have declined a couple because I believe that my viewers don't care for the campaigns that they've offered. Plus! the money earned is 100% yours, Fullscreen does not take any cut. However the campaigns only last for roughly a month or until the funds are deminished (They range from $1,000 - $7,500.)

Nick Soares
04-19-2013, 01:25 PM
Plus! the money earned is 100% yours, Fullscreen does not take any cut.

Wait, I thought that they take a cut from the earnings - Or is that just from adsense?

Klay M Abele
04-19-2013, 01:27 PM
Wait, I thought that they take a cut from the earnings - Or is that just from adsense?

You keep 100% of the Gorilla campaign earnings, regular Ad earnings they will take a cut from. With the Gorilla campaigns you can make BANK!

Anonymous Filmmaker
04-20-2013, 04:22 AM
Are you referring to them owning my content that I create? If so, no, I retain all copyright ownership. Do look out for this issue if you sign with a network, some networks are sketchy about this.

And to answer Nick, I made the decision that I needed the assistance of a network to build sub's, as they do promote certain videos via twitter and their YT channel.

Also what had me was the Gorilla Campaigns where they give you something to promote and when someone views the promoted content, you receive anywhere from $5-$50 per view. Very helpful, I have declined a couple because I believe that my viewers don't care for the campaigns that they've offered. Plus! the money earned is 100% yours, Fullscreen does not take any cut. However the campaigns only last for roughly a month or until the funds are deminished (They range from $1,000 - $7,500.)

Wow! Now I want to get Gorilla Campaigns!

Klay M Abele
04-20-2013, 08:19 AM
Oh and I must add, your ad earnings are no longer through Adsense, Fullscreen gets the Youtube ad info and pays you through Paypal, once you've met the $100 threshold. ALSO any money you have left in Adsense will always be there until you come back. For example my adsense account never reached the $100 threshold, so that money will be there until my contract with fullscreen is up.

Just something to think about.

Klay M Abele
08-07-2013, 01:02 PM
I'm back from the dead!!!

Yeah I've been gone for a while. Recently got a new job and moved states, still in the process of moving.

So I figured I'd update on my status with Fullscreen and that adventure. Well, it's been steady... I'm making roughly $10 a month, and I haven't tried a Gorilla campaign yet as I feel like there hasn't been one that I feel any of my viewers would even be interested in.

I've been very sluggish on uploading and doing side projects, so I can't really blame FS. I'm hoping this new job allows me the extra cash flow to build a new PC so I can actually work from home. Anyway, figured I'd update again as it's been a few months.

Hope everyone is doing well!

Director
08-07-2013, 02:46 PM
Well, it's been steady... I'm making roughly $10 a month

Damn, a whole $10 per month!!! When are you taking us all out for dinner, ya cheapskate. :)~

Klay M Abele
08-08-2013, 06:22 AM
Hahaha, very soon, but you can only order a water.