PDA

View Full Version : Need a Legit Muzzle Flash Effect

MrJay10
04-18-2013, 03:53 PM
Can someone point me to a place where I can find a legit muzzle flash, preferably one that looks like it's from an old western flick. So alot of smoke almost like a mini cannon lol. I'm willing to purchase a SFX package or something, because the only legit one I found is on detonationfilms.com and it like pixelates when I chroma key it -_- lol

Nick Soares
04-18-2013, 04:17 PM
I do believe that Klay M Abele (http://www.filmmakerforum.org/members/klay-m-abele.html) will be able to answer that for sure. Give him a shout

MrJay10
04-18-2013, 04:17 PM
sweet! thanks :P

Director
04-18-2013, 04:49 PM
I have one in 720p I'll give you. It doesn't have a lot of smoke, but I also have a puff smoke effect you can add to it. Where do I send it to?

Anonymous Filmmaker
04-18-2013, 04:51 PM
If you want stock footage, I would look into buying Action Essentials or getting something from detonation films.

-AF

MrJay10
04-19-2013, 04:59 AM
I have one in 720p I'll give you. It doesn't have a lot of smoke, but I also have a puff smoke effect you can add to it. Where do I send it to?

Sweet, either try and send it to my email (justyn.bell[at]gmail.com) or you can dropbox it to me if the file is too big. Just private message me your email and I'll add you to the dropbox folder. Thanks!

Director
04-19-2013, 08:20 AM
Sweet, either try and send it to my email (justyn.bell[at]gmail.com) or you can dropbox it to me if the file is too big. Just private message me your email and I'll add you to the dropbox folder. Thanks!

Not a problem, but it will be after 6 PST. I'll send it to you then.

Jimmy
04-19-2013, 09:13 AM
Ive been watching this topic, anyone find a good source?

khathawayart
04-19-2013, 10:28 AM
Videocopilot.com has a bunch sold in sets...but I don't know if they have any that would fit a wild west scene.

But as Director said, you can use a non-descript muzzle flash and add the smoke in another layer. Depending on the year the scene takes place, they may be using non-smokeless powder resulting in a LOT of smoke.

In later years, not sure when exactly--pretty sure post Civil War, smokeless powder was introduced...but it still made smoke--just a lot less.

Kurt Hathaway
khathawayart[at]gmail.com

Klay M Abele
04-19-2013, 10:51 AM
Depending on what weapon it is you can get away with finding a .png on google of a muzzle flash and inserting it as one frame, ste its transfer mode to screen or color dodge, duplicate it, turn the transfer mode to screen, fast blur the duplicate until desired glow, duplicate the footage, trim it to one frame as well, set its transfer mode to Add, and mask where the highlights of the glow from the flash would be, feather the edges of the masks, and adjust the opacity of the duplicate footage. Viola! You should be set.

Additional: Add curves to the muzzle flash and adjust the reds and alpha channel to desired visibility. Look at reference photos to get a realistic look.

Hope that didn't confuse you! Or you can just watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDx83vsLLKk

Anonymous Filmmaker
04-19-2013, 12:33 PM
What did you find at det. films? I want to see if it pixelates for me too, or if it might be a problem with your particular download or compositing software.

MrJay10
04-19-2013, 03:00 PM
What did you find at det. films? I want to see if it pixelates for me too, or if it might be a problem with your particular download or compositing software.

It's called like cannon fire I think is the name. The film is going to be in black & white and I did a test to see what it looked like and it would pixelate at the end of the footage whenever I chroma keyed it on Vegas Movie Studio.

MrJay10
04-19-2013, 03:02 PM
Depending on what weapon it is you can get away with finding a .png on google of a muzzle flash and inserting it as one frame, ste its transfer mode to screen or color dodge, duplicate it, turn the transfer mode to screen, fast blur the duplicate until desired glow, duplicate the footage, trim it to one frame as well, set its transfer mode to Add, and mask where the highlights of the glow from the flash would be, feather the edges of the masks, and adjust the opacity of the duplicate footage. Viola! You should be set.

Additional: Add curves to the muzzle flash and adjust the reds and alpha channel to desired visibility. Look at reference photos to get a realistic look.

Hope that didn't confuse you! Or you can just watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDx83vsLLKk

Hey, anything helps! I appreciate the tips and tricks though :P

Anonymous Filmmaker
04-19-2013, 03:52 PM
It's called like cannon fire I think is the name. The film is going to be in black & white and I did a test to see what it looked like and it would pixelate at the end of the footage whenever I chroma keyed it on Vegas Movie Studio.

Is it from the front or the side? (There are 2.)

Anonymous Filmmaker
04-19-2013, 05:42 PM
Is this the correct link to where you got it, and which one is it? The cannon blasts are towards the bottom of the page, if I am looking at the right site. http://www.detonationfilms.com/UnitK-2.html

MrJay10
04-19-2013, 06:37 PM
Is this the correct link to where you got it, and which one is it? The cannon blasts are towards the bottom of the page, if I am looking at the right site. http://www.detonationfilms.com/UnitK-2.html

Yeah that's it. The one that pixelated was from the front. But I think it's just how I'm chroma keying it or something. I dont think it's with the actual clip.

Director
04-19-2013, 08:49 PM
Just sent you the muzzle flash, but the smoke is too large to send via email. Do you have Drop box?

Anonymous Filmmaker
04-20-2013, 03:42 AM
Yeah that's it. The one that pixelated was from the front. But I think it's just how I'm chroma keying it or something. I dont think it's with the actual clip.

Did you use both? If so, was the other one fine?

MrJay10
04-20-2013, 03:55 AM
Just sent you the muzzle flash, but the smoke is too large to send via email. Do you have Drop box?

yeah I do. Ok, I've added you to the folder on dropbox. It's called muzzle flash VFX. Let me know when youve dropped it in, thanks

MrJay10
04-20-2013, 03:55 AM
Did you use both? If so, was the other one fine?

i didn't try the other one yet actually

Anonymous Filmmaker
04-20-2013, 04:12 AM
I downloaded them both, and I see what you mean. Because of the quality of the video, they do seem to pixelate. Try adding some sort of a fast blur, and from a distance, it should probably be fine.

DUNK-ALMIGHTY
07-29-2013, 05:46 AM
Know this topic is a couple of months old but wanted to say my peace on the subject.
Youtube is one of the best places for any chroma keyed or greenscreen footage.
I spotted a couple of "compilation muzzle flash videos" that are great for starting off any collection of muzzle flashes or any keyed footage.