PDA

View Full Version : Can I pitch you guys my DOCU film idea and see if its worth pursuing?

brianknapp
04-12-2013, 07:46 AM
Ok so one of my favorite pizza places in DC has a great story an I frequent DC a lot so it will be very easy for me to produce this. My idea is to make a film about the start of Jumbo Slice pizza. So the owner of the original jumbo slice creator moved from India with his brother with the American dream to produce great huge slices of pizza. He had a troubled life and struggled to live with poverty such rampant over there. So he and his brother go to DC with practically nothing and they both start a pizza place together don't remember what it's called though. So anyhow later through the years with much successes his brother deceives him steals his recipe and the younger brother starts his own joint called Jumbo Slice. The other older brother closes down his old pizza place and starts Pizza Mart. For years they fueded with each other until the show Food Wars battle both jumbo slices together and they both made up and now happily live in peace with each other. Through hArd times a tough economy they started what is thought as the first Jumbo Slice industry and even with many competitors they still strive to be the best. I want to call this film Keep Calm and Jumbo Slice On
So what are your guys thoughts on this. Worth pursuing?

Jimmy
04-12-2013, 01:29 PM
I think if the story is compelling enough then you just might have a winner, I also love you title!

brianknapp
04-12-2013, 01:34 PM
I think if the story is compelling enough then you just might have a winner, I also love you title!

Haha yeah thanks took me awhile to come up with it..

Director
04-12-2013, 01:44 PM
I would also think that, since it is promotional for both brother's businesses, you might want to ask them to help fund your project. But, seeing how they're Indian, you probably won't get it ;)~

brianknapp
04-12-2013, 01:48 PM
I would also think that, since it is promotional for both brother's businesses, you might want to ask them to help fund your project. But, seeing how they're Indian, you probably won't get it ;)~

Rofl but seriously the guy one time gave me a free slice cuz he knows me and I go there every time i go to DC so I dunno he could i just think it might be a little weird to ask for money though

Kevin
04-13-2013, 06:24 AM
I think your more going to want to ask for access to the resturant, maybe a few "behind the scenes" secrets (So to speak). Of course, if you get to TALKING about the tight budget and difficulty of a indie docu-filmmaker who's to say what might worm it's way into his mind... Heh.

brianknapp
04-13-2013, 08:58 AM
I think your more going to want to ask for access to the resturant, maybe a few "behind the scenes" secrets (So to speak). Of course, if you get to TALKING about the tight budget and difficulty of a indie docu-filmmaker who's to say what might worm it's way into his mind... Heh.

Hmmmm... Maybe just maybe .... It might work

SamuelR74
04-17-2013, 05:12 PM
Hey, I like this story. It's kind of like a modern day Abel and Cain but with a happy ending!

Anonymous Filmmaker
04-19-2013, 02:34 PM
As Kevin said, if you know the owner, that could get you some good footage.

dory811
05-09-2013, 12:42 AM
Sounds like it would be fun, do you think you would be able to interview other family members?

Also, just as a thought about some of the other comments, If you want it to be a doc you dont want to make any promises about the promotional value of the film.

It may end up being about something that has nothing to do with pizza. In addition to that, the story of your doc may unfold in such a way that it puts one of your subjects in a negative light, which would probably be good for the story, but again would lack promotional value for a business.

Im not saying it has to happen that way, but as a documentarian you dont want to limit what your story is before you begin, because you may not find the heart of it till well into production.

brianknapp
05-09-2013, 04:15 AM
Sounds like it would be fun, do you think you would be able to interview other family members?

Also, just as a thought about some of the other comments, If you want it to be a doc you dont want to make any promises about the promotional value of the film.

It may end up being about something that has nothing to do with pizza. In addition to that, the story of your doc may unfold in such a way that it puts one of your subjects in a negative light, which would probably be good for the story, but again would lack promotional value for a business.

Im not saying it has to happen that way, but as a documentarian you dont want to limit what your story is before you begin, because you may not find the heart of it till well into production.

I could try that but the only way I would be able to talk to them is through skype because they are all in India but i will keep that In mind if i Have to build up to the fight later on. About promotional value you are correct and I dont think I will be doing anything that will be positive or negative about its more neutral. The doc will just tell the story as it is.