PDA

View Full Version : Tips or Tricks for Solo Filmmakers?

brianknapp
04-10-2013, 06:25 PM
Yeah so the title pretty much sums it up
I'm jw b/c I am one of those people who can't always have friends help out and my family doesn't want to help cause they always get pissed off at me for having a camera pointed at their face I tend to do that a lot so yeah so anyhow any suggestions?

Nick Soares
04-10-2013, 07:20 PM
Hey Brian, I think we can help you out. What films are you looking to make?

brianknapp
04-11-2013, 09:04 AM
I'm interested in making documentaries.

Nick Soares
04-11-2013, 09:14 AM
I'm interested in making documentaries.

Oh good for you! Thats a fun one to start out in. Docs are very hard to get right, you need to a topic and you need to stay on topic the whole time.

Lets start by getting an idea of what you want to document?

Director
04-11-2013, 12:15 PM
The cool things about docs are, you can use a lot of stock footage and still images, and you don't even need a host. But, make sure the narration is done by someone with a great voice. You can find a lot of those guys on fiverr.com that will work real cheap.

Also, if your content is interesting, you have a lot better chance of winning some film festival awards.

brianknapp
04-11-2013, 01:38 PM
Well I mean I have tons of ideas of what I could do an stuff but all of these require way to much money and time to do. So I was thinking the other day about how I live so close to DC and figured out the perfect documentary!

Kevin
04-12-2013, 11:01 AM
Yeah, DC would be a hotbed for documentary work... and I would wager there's a lot of stock footage laying around waiting for someone to use it.

So do you have a topic or topics in mind yet?

brianknapp
04-12-2013, 12:07 PM
Yeah, DC would be a hotbed for documentary work... and I would wager there's a lot of stock footage laying around waiting for someone to use it.

So do you have a topic or topics in mind yet?
Yeah check out the production feed I posted my idea there it says can I pitch you guys my idea for a docu

http://www.filmmakerforum.org/production/1978-can-i-pitch-you-guys-my-docu-film-idea-see-if-its-worth-pursuing.html

Nick Soares
04-12-2013, 12:32 PM
Added the link to your post, makes it easier for other users

brianknapp
04-12-2013, 12:47 PM
Added the link to your post, makes it easier for other users

Thanks!

mara
04-12-2013, 12:50 PM
I think it might work, yes.
I'm not a big doc person, but the ones I've enjoyed generally have engaging characters at the center (in that way, not so different than fiction).

Do you think these guys would cooperate with you?

brianknapp
04-12-2013, 01:26 PM
I think it might work, yes.
I'm not a big doc person, but the ones I've enjoyed generally have engaging characters at the center (in that way, not so different than fiction).

Do you think these guys would cooperate with you?

Well ik the owner fairly well that's how I knew the personal stuff and it would be free advertising so I don't see why not. I will be calling him in probably a day or two just to make sure and see if this is really possible so hopefully so :)

Anonymous Filmmaker
04-15-2013, 11:36 AM
I know this sounds obvious, but get a good tripod. If you want to do some run and gun documentary work, a mono-pod may work better

Good Luck!
-AF

Nick Soares
04-15-2013, 11:55 AM
I know this sounds obvious, but get a good tripod. If you want to do some run and gun documentary work, a mono-pod may work better

Good Luck!
-AF

That is always a good idea, but can easily be overseen

Vance Baryn
04-15-2013, 12:07 PM
If you want people to take you seriously, you should probably stop typing in text speak. I know this is off topic for the thread, but I've seen you do it in two posts in this thread so far so thought I should mention it. It's incredibly annoying having to stop reading to try to figure out what some random letters might mean, and it makes you seem unintelligent.

Nick Soares
04-15-2013, 12:29 PM
If you want people to take you seriously, you should probably stop typing in text speak. I know this is off topic for the thread, but I've seen you do it in two posts in this thread so far so thought I should mention it. It's incredibly annoying having to stop reading to try to figure out what some random letters might mean, and it makes you seem unintelligent.

Who are you talking to?

Anonymous Filmmaker
04-15-2013, 12:37 PM
I think he was talking to Brian Knapp.

Vance Baryn
04-15-2013, 09:53 PM
Yes, was talking to Brian Knapp. And not trying to be an ass by the way. I honestly just think some people don't realize how annoying it is.

brianknapp
04-16-2013, 04:32 AM
You're completely right Vance sometimes I just don't realize I do this because I do it so often. From now on I will seem as professional as possible and be grammatically correct as I can be. Thanks for letting me know. :)

Nick Soares
04-16-2013, 07:27 PM
[#]brianknapp[/#] Do you feel we answered your questions?

SamuelR74
04-18-2013, 01:31 PM
I hope the responses helped Brian because they have certainly been informative to me as well. I agree with the tripod suggestion. What "style" of documentary would you pursue for your idea? A Ken Burns style or a Michael Moore/Morgan Spurlock style?

brianknapp
04-18-2013, 01:35 PM
[#]brianknapp[/#] Do you feel we answered your questions?

Yes very much so! Thanks to you guys and tips I decided to start my DOCU by June or July I should be filming and hopefully have something great to show you guys! But yeah all the comments and tips were hopeful and I'm still open for more!

brianknapp
04-18-2013, 01:40 PM
I hope the responses helped Brian because they have certainly been informative to me as well. I agree with the tripod suggestion. What "style" of documentary would you pursue for your idea? A Ken Burns style or a Michael Moore/Morgan Spurlock style?

Well honestly I would have to say a little mix of both. I want to do some where it is just about the subject and I'm not featured in it at all and others like "supersize" me where I'm sort of like the host and am featured in the DOCU.

SamuelR74
04-18-2013, 01:44 PM
Sounds like you have a good vision from which to begin with! Good luck and can't wait to see your progress!

brianknapp
04-18-2013, 01:49 PM
Thanks!