PDA

View Full Version : Feature Films YouTube - Distribution

Jimmy
04-10-2013, 09:51 AM
Has anyone ever released a feature film on YouTube, if so is it possible to make money with the advertisements?

Nick Soares
04-10-2013, 10:07 AM
Hey [#]Jimmy[/#] features films on youtube kind of fall under the same rules for other videos that make money

#1 You need to give something that people want to see

#2 The more subscribers you have the more people will see right away, which means googles algorithm with rank it higher in results

#3 If you have no subscribers then there is a good chance no matter what you release you won't make any money. The chance of something going viral now just because its a good video is very slim, you need to focus on getting subscribers that are interested in watching film --> That will be your targeted audience. Lets say you have 50 subscribers that are used to you doing something funny once a week, then you release a film that has nothing to do with you (your not in it) then they are not going to be happy.

Hope this helps

Win Edson
04-18-2013, 10:39 AM
Hi Jimmy,

I've recently uploaded my feature to YouTube. A couple of recent changes to Youtube is the 15 minute limit is no more, I uploaded my entire film in one go. Also, to turn on the 'monetize' option doesn't take a lengthy application, it's instant.

There's 2 choices of adverts, in stream and overlay. In stream is your tradition commercial break, you can put them where you choose. I've chosen beginning, end, and 2 places within the film. Overlay ads are the little banners that pop up. I'm not a big fan of these, but I added this option for the following reason. When you or someone else embeds your film on their website, instream ads don't appear, only overlay ads.

One interesting thing that happen when I uploaded to YouTube is I started receiving views before I announced it to anyone. I'm pretty sure this is because I tagged it with words like 'free feature film' and 'full length movie'. My film then appeared on half a dozen websites that show free movies. I'm happy with this because it's revenue for me. I've gotten over 700 views in the first 2 weeks.

So how much money does that tally to so far? $1.31. Yeah, not much. I don't expect to make a fortune. In fact, I'm just happy to get views and know my film is being watched.

Is it possible to make a good deal of money from YouTube- my guess is to do so you'd have to get traditional media involved- newspaper, television, etc. This way a respected third party could tell thousands of people that your film is worth the watch.

Good luck.

Win
www.thedinnerdatemovie.com

Nick Soares
04-18-2013, 04:51 PM
Hi Jimmy,

I've recently uploaded my feature to YouTube. A couple of recent changes to Youtube is the 15 minute limit is no more, I uploaded my entire film in one go. Also, to turn on the 'monetize' option doesn't take a lengthy application, it's instant.

There's 2 choices of adverts, in stream and overlay. In stream is your tradition commercial break, you can put them where you choose. I've chosen beginning, end, and 2 places within the film. Overlay ads are the little banners that pop up. I'm not a big fan of these, but I added this option for the following reason. When you or someone else embeds your film on their website, instream ads don't appear, only overlay ads.

One interesting thing that happen when I uploaded to YouTube is I started receiving views before I announced it to anyone. I'm pretty sure this is because I tagged it with words like 'free feature film' and 'full length movie'. My film then appeared on half a dozen websites that show free movies. I'm happy with this because it's revenue for me. I've gotten over 700 views in the first 2 weeks.

So how much money does that tally to so far? $1.31. Yeah, not much. I don't expect to make a fortune. In fact, I'm just happy to get views and know my film is being watched.

Is it possible to make a good deal of money from YouTube- my guess is to do so you'd have to get traditional media involved- newspaper, television, etc. This way a respected third party could tell thousands of people that your film is worth the watch.

Good luck.

Win
www.thedinnerdatemovie.com (http://www.thedinnerdatemovie.com)

That is very nice of you to fill everyone in on whats going on. We appreciate that around here. ThumbsUP

Anonymous Filmmaker
04-19-2013, 12:03 PM
I agree that you should build up your channel. If it is already a relatively big size, you are going to get more views, and also more money!

-AF

thealbertliao
05-02-2013, 02:10 PM
Hi Jimmy,

I would highly suggest checking out Pivotshare. We're an online media platform that allows you to start a channel for FREE, upload your content, and from there choose from a variety of payment options. It's difficult to make money off advertisements unless your film hits the thousands/millions mark. Pivotshare monetizes your media and allows your audience members to buy directly from you.

Check us out here at : www.pivotshare.com

Good luck and I hope this helps!