PDA

View Full Version : Black Magic Camera

Nick Soares
04-09-2013, 10:00 AM
I do not understand the big hype about this Black Magic Camera - Am I missing something?

759I cannot imagine that this would be something where you
can change settings, rack focus, or even keep from shaking.
Its so small, I think to small to be a valuable asset on set.
Am I missing something, or is this just become big because it
has a film like look to it?

I have to admit that I have not done much research on it, and
I cannot today (Wifes Birthday and she is already yelling at me
for being on the computer) but when I get back I am curious if
anyone has heard of this and or if they have any experience or
thoughts on this Black Magic Cinema Camera

Kevin
04-09-2013, 08:25 PM
It's bigger than a DSLR, apparently by a fair amount, and can shoot at a higher quality (I can't remember if it is 2.5 k, or all the way to 4k right now). it has two different models so you can use two different family of lenses, based on your preference. And yes, it's got a more "Film" look based on footage I've seen.

To be fair, I think it's more a competitor with the 7d than RED's lower end model, but it was specifically designed for film making as opposed to "drafted" into the roll, so it's geared more for that. I've been researching them since developing an interest in film making and honestly have been drooling over it since. I just don't have the scratch right now to buy one.

Mark
04-09-2013, 09:50 PM
Oh interesting, so this camera can shoot like the RED can? Wow this can be some good news for indie filmmakers. I wonder how much this Black Magic camera is???

Kevin
04-10-2013, 07:23 AM
There about three grand... and my research says they aren't really up to an EPIC or Scarlett... but they ARE more filmmaking friendly than a DSLR and every review I've read seems to want to compare them to the RED camera's and generally are favorable even when saying the RED's are better.

Director
04-10-2013, 11:30 PM
It has a retro 60s look to it.

Nick Soares
04-11-2013, 09:30 AM
It has a retro 60s look to it.

Wait, what do you mean? All the footage does??? Or there is a setting, to make it look 60's'ish

Director
04-11-2013, 10:46 AM
Wait, what do you mean? All the footage does??? Or there is a setting, to make it look 60's'ish

LOL, no, I just mean the design of the camera.

Anonymous Filmmaker
04-19-2013, 02:01 PM
Basically, I think people like it because of the price, quality, and resolution. I think it is one of the cheaper "professional" camera's.