PDA

View Full Version : Adobe Color Correction

Bryce Welsh
04-05-2013, 11:07 PM
I want to make a day scene look like a night scene in my film, and I haven't found that Premier Pro has the "Day into Night" effect that FCPX has. So I assume I should leave this to color correction. So, should I do color correction in Premier, After Effects, or Speed Grader? I'm really curious about which one of these would do the right job. Anyone know?

Vance Baryn
04-06-2013, 03:21 AM
I think you can do this in Premiere just as well as After Effects. I have never used Speed Grader. There are tons of color correction tools in Premiere. Night is much more contrasty than day and you might want to pull up the blue a bit, especially if your footage is pretty warm you might want to pull it up more than a bit. Then lower the gamma. Then just play around with stuff. Hopefully you don't have the sky in the shot.

Jimmy
04-06-2013, 01:45 PM
I would think that Adobe would be better since I heard Final Cut Pro X sucks really bad

khathawayart
04-10-2013, 08:41 AM
Vance is right--any software should do the trick if you know what look you're after.

Day for night, as he said, would be to edit contrast, amp the blue and drop gamma.

Kurt Hathaway
khathawayart[at]gmail.com

Jsthompson79
04-10-2013, 08:45 AM
I do my color grading in Adobe After Effects with a 3rd party software called Magic Bullet. I use Magic Bullet Looks and Colorrista II for all of my color grades. Also if you do not want to buy the suite you can use After Effects to do color correction. You should be able to achieve the look you want by using curves, levels, tint, hue and saturation and the other built in tools.

Anonymous Filmmaker
04-15-2013, 11:49 AM
Video Copilot has a tut on day for night using AE. Because I'm a new member, I can't post a link, but it's called Day to Night Conversion if you want to search it on their site. It's not the newest, but the techniques are the same.

I hope this helps,
-AF

Nick Soares
04-19-2013, 08:58 AM
Bryce, did you ever get the footage the way you wanted?

Klay M Abele
04-19-2013, 11:54 AM
Anonymous Filmmaker has it,

http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/day_to_night_conversion/

Check it out if you're still looking.