PDA

View Full Version : Writing vs Re-Writing

mara
04-05-2013, 12:12 PM
As I mentioned yesterday, I've just (finally!) finished the first draft of my new full-length screenplay, About Us.

I started working on the (first) re-write today, and it reminded me of something that I've felt before:
I find re-writing my work somewhat easier (although certainly not easy!) than forcing out that damn full draft.

Anyone else feel that way?
Or do you roll out those words in a smooth and effortless way, and hate changing them?

Just curious....

Director
04-05-2013, 12:23 PM
Re-writing is the real writing process.

Nick Soares
04-05-2013, 12:25 PM
I find the re-writes to be even funner then the original writing. Its like its finally on paper and out of your head, so now you won't forget those awesome scenes you had in the back of your mind but you can now just focus on making them even better.

Patrick Wiley
04-05-2013, 05:05 PM
Do you mean rewrites of your spec or a rewrite of someone else's script?

mara
04-05-2013, 05:08 PM
Rewrite of my own script.

2001 Productions
04-05-2013, 07:53 PM
I'm kinda the opposite, myself. I love writing the first draft, but find rewriting a chore. Not because I'm in love with my words, necessarily, but because I'm impatient and want to keep pushing forward, doing new things.

I do agree with Director, however, that rewriting is the real writing process. So I bite the bullet and do it.

Vance Baryn
04-06-2013, 04:07 AM
I also enjoy rewriting more than writing the first draft. In fact, I prefer if someone else writes the first draft so I can get straight to the rewriting. Of course, I change huge parts of their story in the process. :-)

Michael P
04-08-2013, 07:56 AM
In my mind, nothing quite compares to writing "Fade to Black" on a first draft. I enjoy the whole re-writing process but to me it's not quite as satisfying as finishing a first draft.

Congrats on finishing Mara and best of luck with the project.