PDA

View Full Version : Premier Pro CS6 or Final Cut Pro X?

Bryce Welsh
04-04-2013, 07:56 PM
I just got an Adobe Creative Cloud account, and I got After Effects, Speedgrader, Photoshop and tons of cool things like that. One of them was Adobe Premier Pro CS6. I already have Final Cut Pro X, and I've heard that Final Cut Pro is more commonly used on professional productions than Premier. I think this is weird because Premier is much more expensive, plus it's Adobe, and it is more advanced. Should I try to learn and get used to Premier, or do you think I should stick with Final Cut Pro X?

Nick Soares
04-04-2013, 08:09 PM
Wish I could answer this one, but I just don't have to experience with adobe premier pro cs6 to tell you what to do. I am a big fan of FCP 7 - I hate Final Cut Pro X

Non the less, I will be subscribed to this thread to hear some opinions as well

Mark
04-04-2013, 08:31 PM
What is your goal with the editing software?

Like for editing a movie together with not much SPFX (http://www.filmmakerforum.org/spfx/)?

Sleazypanda
04-04-2013, 09:59 PM
ive never used fcp but ive used vegas and premiere a good bit, hate vegas, hate premiere but i just hate editing...been doing it for like the past 3 days just picking out 4 secs of blank audio and load screens on video games...so much fun lol. but premiere is very good program and i prefer it over anything else ive ever used.

Vance Baryn
04-04-2013, 10:15 PM
When I was in film school, I was taught Final Cut Pro. I have always run Premiere on my own computers. Both of them do the job. Premiere is better if you plan on also working in After Effects because they understand each other's files.

Bryce Welsh
04-05-2013, 06:53 AM
What is your goal with the editing software?

Like for editing a movie together with not much SPFX (http://www.filmmakerforum.org/spfx/)?

i do the sfx in After Effects, so yeah, pretty much just chopping it together.

Bryce Welsh
04-05-2013, 07:09 AM
Wish I could answer this one, but I just don't have to experience with adobe premier pro cs6 to tell you what to do. I am a big fan of FCP 7 - I hate Final Cut Pro X

Non the less, I will be subscribed to this thread to hear some opinions as well

Is there any way I could downgrade my FCP, but keep my projects and footage? Or at least download FCP7 somewhere without having to pay again? THis isn't the first time I've heard people say they like the older Final Cuts better.

Director
04-05-2013, 10:36 AM
Even though I use FCP 7, I would use Premier CS6 over FCP X any day.

Anonymous Filmmaker
04-16-2013, 01:16 PM
i do the sfx in After Effects,

If you do AE, then definitely get Premiere. With dynamic link, you can go back and forth really easily. The workflow of Premiere is also pretty similar to AE, so you won't have as high of a learning curve.

I hope this helps!
-AF

tseverio
04-17-2013, 02:57 AM
Also if you shoot on a DSLR...no transcoding with Premiere. ;)

GradeBFilms
04-17-2013, 01:47 PM
Premiere all the way. I've only had experience with FCP X but Adobe's suite is really well laid out and I've found myself using dynamic linking a lot more over the past year; stops needing to render out then import back in again.

Nick Soares
04-17-2013, 02:14 PM
Just saw Final Cut X for the first time the other day actually getting used. I wanted to through up, its like a glorified iMovie....

Kritz
07-15-2013, 06:52 AM
Premiere is definitely the way to go. At my film school, we started with Final Cut Pro 7. When Final Cut X came out, we switched to Adobe. While fcp 7 is a great program, fcx lacks in many ways. If you use any other Adobe products, the workflow in between programs is seamless. It seems like most people are switching to Premiere anyway.

Aaron Jones
07-15-2013, 01:04 PM
I am probably the less experienced one out of the bunch. I have Premiere along with the rest of the master collection for CS6. The integration factor is one of the main things to consider. Going from AF to Premiere is awesome. Using one helps you more understand the other. I was able to fumble through it on the first go and do a wedding edit that turned out pretty decently. The one advice I can give is make sure you set yourself in getting more plug-ins and transitions as it does not come with much at all out of the box.

spacecadetmotionpictures
07-15-2013, 03:55 PM
I haven't used FCP, but have never felt the need to even bother because Premiere works wonders for me.

As the other posters have pointed out, the seamless integration with everything else in the Adobe product line makes the entire workflow very intuitive once you get into it. One thing that hasn't been mentioned, however, is Audition, which is Adobe's audio editing/mastering program.

I just started in Audition, and while I still need to work on my audio skills, I was very impressed by the powerful nature of Audition, especially when it comes to noise reduction. But the hands down winning factor of Premiere combined with Audition is the way they connect. I was able to send my entire project, with rough sound cuts, from Premiere to Audition where it lined up all of my sound on session with multiple tracks under my video track. Once the project was in Audition, I was able to really work with all of my audio in ways that Premiere just couldn't. The best feature was my ability to double-click on an audio clip and work directly on the waveform of that clip, where I could perform noise reduction, compression, and EQ without affecting any of the other audio clips. Bringing my foley mix into Audition was also very easy because it has the video track to line everything up nicely. Once I got all the audio editing done, I just told Audition to send it back to Premiere as a single track. You can send it back to Premiere with all of the individual clips if you want, but then it makes for a very messy timeline. The single track option kept my timeline very streamlined.

So, I'd say stick with Adobe in my opinion. I started using it with version 5.5 and I can say that it has come a long way in it's professional abilities. I'm sure that with their latest release, it will quickly become the software choice of professional digital filmmakers.