PDA

View Full Version : Best Strategy to Finding Actors?

MrJay10
04-04-2013, 06:56 AM
I'm looking to get about 6-7 actors for my next short film. Just wondering what's the best strategy for going out/online finding actors that will work for free. I'm still in the writing process but just trying to get prepared for when I'm done writing. Any tips, websites, ideas for me? any help is appreciated, thanks!

Nick Soares
04-04-2013, 11:38 AM
Great question.

So if you are looking for talent for free you can find them online, but chances are you might get one experienced actor will to work for free out of every 10 or 20 -

You have to realize that the actors that are willing to work for free are people who want to get into acting just like you want to get into film, so make sure you are ready to teach, be patient, be kind when they mess up or do not perform the way you like, make sure you all learn together and do not plan on making money on this (could happen) but don't plan on it.

I have never done a film without paying the actors so I do not have that experience, you also should keep in mind that this film might take a while and in order to complete a film everyone has to be at the same place and time and that means days that people are not working, that also means that people will be spending their own money on gas and food and spending their time to do this, so maybe consider feeding them well at least.

Also, if you have ladies, then please make sure that you have a restroom around for them and a clean one. I would not want my wife going to some shoot out in the woods and there is no restroom. Just keep the ladies in mind please.

Anyway, your best bet will be craigslist.com and mandy.com (unless mandy has changed, i haven't used them in years)

mara
04-04-2013, 11:48 AM
And be sure to feed people!

Director
04-04-2013, 12:31 PM
Here's how I do it. I call as many people as I can, then fall to my knees and pray like a son-of-a-bitch that someone shows up.

Hey, works every time :)~

payperfilm
04-04-2013, 01:37 PM
There are several sites such as actors access, nowcasting, meetup, and backstage. Remember at this point, you are auditioning for them. Be professional. Bad grammar and typos turn off everyone. In the character breakdowns, don't be too specific unless it is absolutely necessary. There are many talented actors of every ethnicity.

Once you find a good actor, ask him or her to refer other actors to you. Actors tend to know other actors and will want to work with other good actors. The same applies for crew members. They often have worked with actors and can help you find people that are easy and fun to work with.

mara
04-05-2013, 08:13 AM
If you live near a college or university with a theater department, you may find some good actors there.
And while stage acting is quite different from acting on screen, you may well find some that are good in both areas,
and/or looking for different experience.

Four Wise Monkeys
03-26-2014, 09:27 AM
I second that. Online is the best way. And most of them will have their showreels up, so you can watch it before deciding if you want to invite them to auditions or not.

buster
05-20-2014, 11:17 AM
If you live near a college or university with a theater department, you may find some good actors there.
And while stage acting is quite different from acting on screen, you may well find some that are good in both areas,
and/or looking for different experience.

Correct. I was never a natural at drama, but ended up doing it along with film at Uni. Met a load of actors there and was able to get them all to be in my short film (here, cheap plug- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCq7Z8FY8Rw )

I'm not saying they were all great actors, but it was so much better than back in the day when I'd have to fill out half the cast with non actors (my friends) and the like.

So I have some contacts with actors for future films but would like to use some new people so I will try to find people elsewhere.

buster
05-20-2014, 11:20 AM
Yes certainly provide food, on my shorts, I just provide a drink each, some sandwiches, crisps etc, Also on a cold day I brought along blankets for the actors as we were outside for a long time.

khathawayart
09-20-2014, 10:53 AM
I just discovered meetup.com.

And found some acting groups in my area--'course I'm near Hollywood, so there's lots of actors here.

Try it and you may find some filmmaking groups in your area--or actors groups--or camera clubs, etc.

Just one way of expanding your network.

Kurt Hathaway
-------------------
VikingDream7 Productions
Video Production & Editing

khathawayart[at]gmail.com