PDA

View Full Version : Color Correction in Final Cut Pro or AfterEffects

Paul77
03-29-2013, 12:22 PM
After watching a video today I realized that Final Cut Pro seems to be lacking in the ability to color correct compared to Adobe After Effects. I have seem both tutorials for FCP and AE but I am curious what do you all use for color correction and why?

2001 Productions
03-29-2013, 01:38 PM
If you have the Final Cut Pro suite it comes with Apple Color, which is light years beyond what the filters in FCP can do. I used it to grade my last feature and have gotten many comments on the look of the film.

Here's an example. I don't have the ungraded frame for comparison, but the actor's skin tones were normal.

2001 Productions
03-29-2013, 01:45 PM
Also, comparing FCP with AE is a bit unfair. They're designed for two completely different purposes. Good luck editing your film in AE. A more apt comparison would be FCP with Premiere.

Nick Soares
03-29-2013, 02:07 PM
I have never had the chance to use the suite, is it possible to purchase the Apple Color by itself?

2001 Productions
03-29-2013, 02:16 PM
I don't know the answer to that. However, if you are a Final Cut man the suite is...well, sweet! I used all of the applications - FCP, Soundtrack Pro, Color, Motion, Compressor, and DVD Pro - in making CRIMPS. Each has its specific purpose in the greater scheme, and all play well with each other (not to denigrate After Effects, however -- still the best effects software, hands down).

Director
03-29-2013, 02:34 PM
I have used both FCP and AF. Lately I have switched to DaVinci Resolve 9 Lite. You can get the Lite version for free at their site. Just click here: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve

Jsthompson79
03-29-2013, 06:27 PM
I use Magic Bullet's Suite in FCP X and After Effects to color correct my short. More specifically I use Magic Bullet Looks and create custom presets and I also use Colorista II.

Charles
03-30-2013, 06:20 PM
Great info guys, thank you!

Anonymous Filmmaker
04-20-2013, 03:51 AM
I have used both FCP and AF. Lately I have switched to DaVinci Resolve 9 Lite. You can get the Lite version for free at their site. Just click here: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve

Yeah, because currently I have an older computer, it doesn't work, but I am getting a new computer next week! But I think it works on most, and I have heard amazing things about it.