PDA

View Full Version : Buying a computer with tax money

EricTheMan
03-17-2013, 02:34 PM
So I will be getting a computer with my tax return for editing videos. I am not the smartest with computers but I can learn fast. I am single so when I get home I will learn and edit. I am SOOOO excited to start editing my own videos because honestly I am getting bored at home now.

Budget for computer = $3,000

PC or Mac - please explain why you feel the way you do.

Also, programs -

Thanks!!!

Best Answer:

Just to be different, and with the acknowledgement that I am not as knowledgeable as others, I'm going to say PC over Mac.

One: There's a lot of software for the PC that is good to great. This includes some open source options for those things a lot of editing software doesn't do it's self.

Two: Update issues can become a problem with the Mac. Due to Mac constantly updating their OS (Which isn't in and of it's self a bad thing) you can frequently run into unforeseen software conflict issues. I know Avid, which is well known for it's sound software and equipment, has often in the past lagged seriously behind the current OS (Whatever cat their up to now) and just wouldn't work right. I've got to assume this problem happens with other software.

Three: If you buy a equivalent PC, you could also probably buy a car too, and at the end of the day you'll have a lot of the functionality. You can also install a mac shell on the computer if you absolutely HAVE to use the Mac software (Which I don't know how much is actually Mac exclusive anyway.)

Honestly Three is my biggest problem with Mac's. You aren't buying a computer, you're investing in a lifestyle. Granted, their machines tend to be very high quality and very well supported, but you can buy PC's like that, too, and still pay less.

Granted, with a windows machine, you're more open to Viruses since more people are writing them. Of course, that's because more people USE them, which is another concern. Most business software is Windows oriented (because that's what most use) so for functions you need the computer for that aren't PURELY movie related (Even if it's JUST for a production use, you're going to have some business apps you want to use) you can find yourself bumping into issues where someone wants you to use a PC format, which you'll have to jump through hoops to generate from an Apple machine.

Note: This is just my opinion, and I could be wrong.

AlphaFilms
03-17-2013, 02:37 PM
Based on my experience...

I think you should go with a mac and final cut... 5? I think I read a post a while back that you can get FCP 5 or something for $100 which 5 is still crazy good for a first timer.

I think you would be really happy with an iMac. They have come a LONG way with the intel processors etc...

Just my thoughts

Director
03-17-2013, 02:56 PM
You should see my thread on Mac Vs. PC

Personally, I like and use Macs, but according to other, mere mortals, Bill Gates hung the moon. So really the decision is yours. But keep this in mind. If you start editing and you find you really love it, like I do, then eventually you may want to upgrade to Adobe Master Suites, which won't run on a PC.

Just something to think about.

Admin
03-19-2013, 08:02 AM
I say go with a mac and a FCP on ebay like many have recommended

Kevin
03-19-2013, 10:35 AM
Just to be different, and with the acknowledgement that I am not as knowledgeable as others, I'm going to say PC over Mac.

One: There's a lot of software for the PC that is good to great. This includes some open source options for those things a lot of editing software doesn't do it's self.

Two: Update issues can become a problem with the Mac. Due to Mac constantly updating their OS (Which isn't in and of it's self a bad thing) you can frequently run into unforeseen software conflict issues. I know Avid, which is well known for it's sound software and equipment, has often in the past lagged seriously behind the current OS (Whatever cat their up to now) and just wouldn't work right. I've got to assume this problem happens with other software.

Three: If you buy a equivalent PC, you could also probably buy a car too, and at the end of the day you'll have a lot of the functionality. You can also install a mac shell on the computer if you absolutely HAVE to use the Mac software (Which I don't know how much is actually Mac exclusive anyway.)

Honestly Three is my biggest problem with Mac's. You aren't buying a computer, you're investing in a lifestyle. Granted, their machines tend to be very high quality and very well supported, but you can buy PC's like that, too, and still pay less.

Granted, with a windows machine, you're more open to Viruses since more people are writing them. Of course, that's because more people USE them, which is another concern. Most business software is Windows oriented (because that's what most use) so for functions you need the computer for that aren't PURELY movie related (Even if it's JUST for a production use, you're going to have some business apps you want to use) you can find yourself bumping into issues where someone wants you to use a PC format, which you'll have to jump through hoops to generate from an Apple machine.

Note: This is just my opinion, and I could be wrong.

Charles
03-19-2013, 10:52 AM
No thats great Kevin, I will definitely consider something like that as well. I am in the same situation kind of

Troy
03-19-2013, 02:41 PM
If you know someone who is able to build computers you can get a top of the line computer for about $1,300 (i spent that amount on mine). Although i love PC's i do agree with what others are saying here.

Mac is really simple to use and great with media. If you plan on just using it for media and web searching then mac is a great way but a little more expensive way to go.

EricTheMan
03-20-2013, 11:52 AM
I am not very tech savy, so I think I will go with a Mac, and a older version of Final Cut Pro. I have been watching lots of final cut videos on youtube and I feel that the mac will be the best bet for me. I wanted to personally thank everyone that has taken the time to write out their thoughts and to let you know I have read them all.!! Thanks!

Charles
03-23-2013, 12:24 PM
I think that is a good call Eric

Sleazypanda
03-24-2013, 11:11 PM
pc's are just cheaper and you can do alot more with them, if you just want this rig to edit with then from what i hear macs are great for that with fcp and all that there processors are multi core power houses so yah u could spend the extra 500-1000 dollars for it. but you could build ur own pc for half the price and just get an i7 a good graphics card and mabey 16gbs of ram and you can do anything you want on that computer, including runing a macintosh emulator and using fcp if your really the into it.

(source)computer science major i know computers inside and out.

Anonymous Filmmaker
04-15-2013, 02:13 PM
Hi Eric,

I ordered a custom computer from performance pc.net. It is cheaper than others that do a similar thing. I haven't gotten it yet, but if you want I can tell you if it is good.

Hope this helps,
-AF