PDA

View Full Version : FREE crowdfunding?

tseverio
03-16-2013, 04:48 PM
Yes now there is no fees. This is hard to believe. Still in beta but no fees taken from your donations. http://www.freefunder.com/beta/#

Nick Soares
03-16-2013, 05:18 PM
Thats cool, but something will happen in the future for the site to make money, whether it is to advertise, start to charge, sell emails, - How did you hear about this site?

Nick Soares
03-16-2013, 07:59 PM
tseverio, wanted to make sure I let you know that its still a good find though. I might right up an article on how Indiegogo and kickstarter might have some competition

NHummel
03-16-2013, 08:02 PM
Fees or no fees I still would trust Kickstarter and Indiegogo more, but maybe this one will prove me wrong. There is the fact though that most people do not know about this site as compared to KS and IG, so while there may be no fees, there may not be too many views for your project.

tseverio
03-17-2013, 01:37 AM
You are right Nick, no doubt a fee will eventually come...I mean whats the point of running something like that unless you are wealthy. Money has to come in to play somewhere along the line. It may be advertising though. Anyway, I saw this in a Facebook ad I think.

I think, in general, most of the people that fund your projects on these site are friends and folks you have networked with anyway. I don't think the general public unknown to the filmmaker funds their projects. I could be wrong.

NHummel
03-17-2013, 01:46 AM
You are right Nick, no doubt a fee will eventually come...I mean whats the point of running something like that unless you are wealthy. Money has to come in to play somewhere along the line. It may be advertising though. Anyway, I saw this in a Facebook ad I think.

I think, in general, most of the people that fund your projects on these site are friends and folks you have networked with anyway. I don't think the general public unknown to the filmmaker funds their projects. I could be wrong.

There are a lot of successful projects on these sites that are funded not only by people that know the person who is doing the project. Most of the time it is good marketing, and while it may start with only people you know, it could expand to people they know, and further. Look at the OUYA. Granted it is not a film project, but still a project that was very successful due to good marketing.

Nick Soares
03-17-2013, 07:39 AM
There are a lot of successful projects on these sites that are funded not only by people that know the person who is doing the project. Most of the time it is good marketing, and while it may start with only people you know, it could expand to people they know, and further. Look at the OUYA. Granted it is not a film project, but still a project that was very successful due to good marketing.

Here are some numbers from my "small" investigation -

Of the 100% successful campaigns

60% of the campaigns are funded by: Close Friends/Family

15% Pre sales to a already large customer list (emails etc..)

15% The above. And organic finding (google search, internal search)

5% Go big by creative video, campaign, etc... And then viral (Which is what you would want)

NHummel
03-17-2013, 03:06 PM
Here are some numbers from my "small" investigation -

Of the 100% successful campaigns

60% of the campaigns are funded by: Close Friends/Family

15% Pre sales to a already large customer list (emails etc..)

15% The above. And organic finding (google search, internal search)

5% Go big by creative video, campaign, etc... And then viral (Which is what you would want)

Seems like an accurate average for most of the projects.

Giovanni Cuevas
03-26-2013, 05:43 PM
Same idea with YouTube before Google owned it. It was great for a little while since it was free, but since everybody was using it, they had to begin adding ads. So i can see this being a free service for a little bit but not very long. But who knows, could be a community supported platform.

brianknapp
04-10-2013, 04:35 PM
Yep totally agree it is beta right now so better use it while it lasts

Jimmy
04-19-2013, 01:13 PM
Does anyone know anyone that has used that site?

Anonymous Filmmaker
04-19-2013, 01:14 PM
Does anyone know anyone that has used that site?

Sorry, no.

Jimmy
07-30-2013, 10:13 AM
Has anyone used freefunder yet?

JHar888
07-31-2013, 05:33 AM
^ It looks to me like very few people have. The site barely has any projects.