PDA

View Full Version : Final Draft Alternatives

Mark
03-14-2013, 06:49 PM
Does anyone know of any alternatives to Final Draft and Celtx (http://www.filmmakerforum.org/scripts/1473-final-draft-celtx-script-writing-software.html) that will give that kind of formatting?

leetvfilms
03-14-2013, 07:20 PM
Celtx is free. Ain't no better free alternative :)

Nick Soares
03-14-2013, 07:20 PM
Good question Mark, I am curious what people will say. I have only used Final Draft (http://www.filmmakerforum.org/scripts/1473-final-draft-celtx-script-writing-software.html) SO i have no experience with anything else, but good question. I wonder what people use now without Final Draft or Celtx. .

Director
03-14-2013, 07:54 PM
Just curious why you would want something different from FD or Celtx? They're both great for script writing.

Nick Soares
03-14-2013, 08:16 PM
Just curious why you would want something different from FD or Celtx? They're both great for script writing.

Im guessing FD is out of price range, and or Celtx for some ODD reason does not work on his computer?

Vance Baryn
03-14-2013, 10:04 PM
Personally, I use Sophocles and I like it quite a bit. The only problem is that the company is out of business, so it's impossible to buy it. It was only ever available as a digital download (to my knowledge) and required you to email the company a code with your payment in order to unlock it to the full version. The code was specific to your computer, so you had to do that every single time you got a new computer. And now that the company is out of business, it is impossible to get an unlock code even for customers who bought it and get a new computer...

Despite their terrible copyright protection method, it's great software if you can get a hold of it. Which you can on the Pirate Bay along with a .reg file to crack it. I had no moral objection myself to getting it there because I actually bought a license and was screwed over by the company when they went out of business and no longer were providing unlock codes. You'll have to consult your own personal code of ethics to decide whether it's ok to download cracked software that is no longer available so no one is making money on it anyway.

kevinAvis
03-15-2013, 03:29 AM
No idea. Most script softwares are expensive.You can have celtx for free or buy final draft.

Anonymous Filmmaker
06-24-2013, 07:33 AM
You can sign up for the free online version of Adobe Story which works great! I haven't tried Celtx though, so it may be better.

gkennedy
07-16-2013, 06:13 AM
I've been using rawscripts.com. It lets you import final draft, celtx or text files and stores everything online so you can write anywhere and export in whichever file type you want. And it's free!

Anonymous Filmmaker
07-16-2013, 09:12 AM
I've been using rawscripts.com. It lets you import final draft, celtx or text files and stores everything online so you can write anywhere and export in whichever file type you want. And it's free!

I'll have to check that out!

UniqueAmI
07-16-2013, 01:43 PM
I love Final Draft. Does anyone use the TAGGER program that accompanies that? It's great.

spacecadetmotionpictures
07-16-2013, 03:59 PM
You can sign up for the free online version of Adobe Story which works great! I haven't tried Celtx though, so it may be better.

I've got the full version of Story with my Creative Cloud subscription and I am very impressed with it.

However, it might actually be a bit too much for someone just looking to write a script without any intention of shooting it themselves, as many of the extra features are geared towards an integrated workflow with the rest of the Adobe Software. It might be worth downloading the free trial and feeling it out for yourselves. If you like it, it is only 9.99 a month for the stand alone subscription.

Anonymous Filmmaker
07-16-2013, 04:07 PM
However, it might actually be a bit too much for someone just looking to write a script without any intention of shooting it themselves, as many of the extra features are geared towards an integrated workflow with the rest of the Adobe Software.

There didn't appear to be any integrated features that I saw in the free version, so that might be all thats necessary. Although I may have missed something, because I didn't use it so much.

spacecadetmotionpictures
07-16-2013, 05:37 PM
There didn't appear to be any integrated features that I saw in the free version, so that might be all thats necessary. Although I may have missed something, because I didn't use it so much.

I haven't really had the time to use all the extra features myself, yet.

From what I've read and seen, you can import your script into Premiere to basically create automatic Closed Captioning or subtitles.

The other feature that I thought was the coolest, and I'm not too sure how it integrates, is the creation of shooting schedules. Once you have created a shooting script from the original, it will break it down into a very detailed schedule that can be sorted by location, time of day, actor/actress, etc. Of course, I'm sure that I won't be shooting anything of that scope for a bit, so right now on my short shorts, it's a bit much to worry about, but I'm sure that once a shoot get's complicated enough, it'll be a godsend.

JHar888
07-16-2013, 06:30 PM
Agreed.