PDA

View Full Version : GoPro and Sony Xdcam ex video format compatibilities

beblain
03-14-2013, 09:12 AM
Hi everybody, Im new of the Forum and Im not sure if this is the right section to post this question.. so sorry if Im wrong!

I would know if its possible to combine in a movie the two different video formats.
I know, its a not-professional question, but I just wanted to ask..

Im working to a show in an Office and Im using a Sony PMW-EX1 and a GoPro3 Silver.

Thank you for your help!

Nick Soares
03-14-2013, 09:31 AM
Its possible and its done quite often, maybe not how you are explaining but yes it is. The question here is will the shot changes confuse the audience.

Like lets say if you are shooting a nice cinematic film and there is a shot that requires an eye view from door key or "something" it would make since to use the gopro for something like that. Or maybe there is a car chase scene and you want some cool shots of the tires turning and the dust flying - a gopro locked down on the finder could work.

BUT

If you have a two shot with camera A, then a close up with camera B - you should stick with the same camera step up. Because of the lens, depth of field, lighting, etc....

Make sense?

gorillafilms
03-28-2013, 08:54 PM
fix it in post

if the two different videos are too different you can fix it in post production with a good color correction using after effect or any editing soft .

the easy way : by simply desaturating the original color and adding a color filter .

here a good tutorial:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGthOhEMSYs

Havey
03-28-2013, 09:33 PM
Yea the two guys above me are correct it can be done. But watch how you combine them, and watch when you are rendering out your final footage that you have the framerate set properly along with the size.

Paul77
03-29-2013, 12:14 PM
gorillafilms, that was some fantastic color correcting, thanks for sharing that.

gorillafilms
03-29-2013, 12:25 PM
you're welcome. color correction can do miracle : i actually use apple colors

Director
03-29-2013, 03:08 PM
Hi everybody, Im new of the Forum and Im not sure if this is the right section to post this question.. so sorry if Im wrong!

I would know if its possible to combine in a movie the two different video formats.
I know, its a not-professional question, but I just wanted to ask..

Im working to a show in an Office and Im using a Sony PMW-EX1 and a GoPro3 Silver.

Thank you for your help!

I have a friend that combined 8mm, 16mm, super 16mm, 35mm, DV tape, VHS, and full HD digital footage to create a documentary that went on to win the NBR Award, The Spectrum Award and was nominated for an Oscar. Check it out here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1157685/

So the bottom line is, yes, you can combine footage. If your content is good, people will overlook a lot of visual misgivings. What you will never get away with is crappy audio. So just make sure you audio is good.

beblain
04-11-2013, 05:54 AM
Thanks everyone, all great suggestions! special thanks to Director for his help and for suggesting such a good doc! Its stunning, people should not miss it!