PDA

View Full Version : How do I raise money for a film

Mark
03-09-2013, 11:18 AM
Seriously! I have no family, or friends with money! Where do I find money for a movie? I have submitted to some grants I found in Google but I never ever get a reply. I don't use Facebook or Twitter, but I am starting to really regret that right now!

Seasoned Pros please help!

Mark
03-09-2013, 11:26 AM
Ok, after reading some more info here I believe I have found my answer.

#1 - Do more research :)

Mighty Films
04-06-2013, 03:26 AM
Paypal donations?

Maybe IndieGoGo campaigns?

Sleazypanda
04-06-2013, 06:00 AM
srsly man it sounds like your in my boat your at the bottom of the barrel and well its time to work your way up....use your money to film things you can ...not things you really want to nessisarly like some script youve been writing for 5 years that will take 30k to make...it wont happen on your first project, unless your lucky as hell. my recommendation is to start useing social media (im just now starting to because well im just now starting to work towards a career in this line ofwork as like you im sure) and also you need to just start makeing stuff you can...write something and film it...watch it, if it sucks dont put it on youtube if its good put it on youtube, post that youtube video on reddit on forums on your twitter feed tweet it out to other people in the buisness advertise it your self and if its good they will come to watch it they will retweet it they will upvote it...but as for now just film stuff you have the money for, say you got a camera a mic a shitty job and a computer, write a 5 min short film it in your back yard and do what i said above.

gl man hope this helps some

Jon Rigler
04-15-2013, 11:29 AM
If you have a great idea/script you can always try a Kickstarter campaign or like Mighty Films suggested an indie gogo campaign.

Anonymous Filmmaker
04-19-2013, 12:14 PM
I agree with Jon, a Kickstarter would probably be a good idea.

-AF

sophiefilm
10-16-2013, 11:11 AM
Hi, I'm just about to create my first Kickstarter page too and I have been doing research on campaigns that are successful vs ones that aren't. The main point I keep seeing everywhere is that it's not enough to make the page... you need to have people who follow you on social networking sites that will contribute to you, either with money or retweets/shares of your page.

So it'd be a good idea to sign up to Facebook and Twitter before you create your page. After all, I think Kickstarter gives you a 30 day window to fundraise your money so you want to have an audience ready :]

nisha
10-19-2013, 05:19 PM
Just finished listening to the producers of MARGIN CALL and ALL IS LOST and they talk in depth about financing indie films -http://www.crafttruck.com/through-the-lens-podcast/producing-neal-dodson-cory-moosa/

Brandon Podell
12-30-2013, 04:30 PM
1. Create a Kickstarter page.
2. Create an Indiegogo page.
3. Create an amazing video for your Kickstarter and Indiegogo pages. Offer an Executive Producer IMDb credit for $100.
4. Create a Facebook account and join filmmaking groups. Advertise your Kickstarter and Indiegogo pages on these groups.
5. Ask your cast and crew members to donate money and to share your Indiegogo pages.
6. Create a short film. Submit your film to film festivals to find an investor so you can make a feature film.
7. Save up enough money to create a film with your main job or get a second job.
8. Apply for a loan.

Mark
12-30-2013, 07:15 PM
Thanks for the comments guys! I have been on a little hiatus but am back in town!

Unregistered
02-18-2014, 12:10 PM
Hi Mark, i found your post from google and I just wanted to let you know that I am in the same boat. Have you found any sort of solution to this?

filmmaker6563
02-19-2014, 05:44 PM
Crowdfunding.
Finding investors.
Beg, borrow, steal.
Contests.
Making connections with other producers & directors.

Trust me, it's not a walk in the park. Getting a film off of the ground requires tremendous skill & good judgement.

CyanideSally
03-15-2014, 04:20 AM
I wouldn't rely totally on Indiegogo or Kickstarter. I have never had any success with either platform. In fact, I gave up on trying to do my own films and just sold my first screenplay. That's what I will be concentrating on from now on - selling the rest of the scripts & creating new ones.

filmmaker6563
03-15-2014, 02:52 PM
Crowdfunding is a craft that must be learned like any other area of filmmaking. Filmmakers think that they can just post something and people will donate and take the campaign creator's word for it that it is good, which is absurd. Content-creators have to realize that people are investing their money into projects. Now, are they going to donate to the person with the incredibly high-quality video, fantastic and constant promotion, credits behind their back, and connections? Or are they going to donate to the guy who nobody knows and just throws a sloppily edited video onto Kickstarter because he has an idea with a little bit of a plan... but not really. You have to learn the art of crowd-funding, and business, promotion, and persuasion as well (which are basically the three components that make up crowd-funding.

XS Indie
04-21-2014, 12:52 PM
From what I've seen crowd funding can be very hit or miss as projects have to grab the attention of a user in the list of other projects so if you go down that route you need a damn good poster image to make someone stop. I'm unfortunately also in the same boat when it comes to funding however although I'm in the lead up to shooting my first serious bit of film that will become part of my portfolio. Issue is with a younger age people never take you seriously and so it can be a real issue finding someone who will even take the time to listen.

Also I second what Dominic said as you WILL need to appear professional and a key point is to maintain a constant connection with the audience you're after, the best way to do this would either be communicating with fans and strangers via Twitter or even doing some Q&A videos where you not only create a personal connection with your audience but you also add strength and validity to your project.