PDA

View Full Version : How to sell a script?

Nick Soares
02-04-2012, 07:27 PM
Looking to sell a script? - Get in line!

http://www.filmmakerforum.org/images/how-to-sell-your-script.jpg

I started a post in the talent section and thought I would start article. I am going to share the most insightful and thoughtful response to this very question - "How to sell a script?" Some may know this and some may not, so If you have experiences in selling scripts feel free to chime in.

I myself, as a producer find it hard to read stacks of scripts, and the most I have ever spent on a film was $1,000,000 - So can you imagine the big time producers? They have many screeners (sifters) that read though scripts to see if there any good. Most of which are scripts that come from friends of the producer, or friends of a friend. Sure there are the chances of getting your script picked up like "The BoonDock Saints" - But this is rare and to count on it will surely let you down.

So your script can be made for $1,000,000? This can be done by experienced indie producers easy.

But how do you get your script noticed?

Make a 30 second trailer with a nice little tease in there, and have marketable scenes in it. In my past ten years I have heard of success story after success story of scripts getting produced because they had a trailer. Think about it, send a script that can take hours of a producers time or send a 30 second trailer hosted on a website?

Im serious this ^ advice is priceless.

A few months ago I ate at applebees with Keith Kjornes, the writer of "The Devils Tomb" with Cuba Gooding Jr. - This was a time when I was looking for my next horror and had received stacks of scripts, even with script readers there was no way and time was being wasted. So here comes Keith with a web link and a produced trailer, and guess what, the next day we were having lunch and checking out locations. Though I chose to do a faith based film and not Reversal, I think you guys get the point.

In addition, continue to be active on this forum and things will work out.

If you have any questions or would like to add to this article feel free to leave a comment below.

Nick Soares
<a href="https://profiles.google.com/108301998796885383716?rel=author">Google</a>

Related Articles
(http://www.filmmakerforum.org/articles/164-how-sell-script.html)
Get film investors (http://www.filmmakerforum.org/articles/1073-get-film-investors.html)

Getting into filmmaking (http://www.filmmakerforum.org/articles/1074-getting-into-filmmaking.html)

Making money with youtube Part 1 (http://www.filmmakerforum.org/articles/1079-making-money-youtube-part-1-a.html)

Making money with youtube Part 2 (http://www.filmmakerforum.org/articles/1082-making-money-youtube-part-2-a.html)

What does Netflix Pay? (http://www.filmmakerforum.org/articles/1081-what-does-netflix-pay.html)

Larry
02-04-2012, 10:13 PM
Great advice Nick

Nick Soares
02-05-2012, 06:40 AM
Thank You Larry!

Ralph
02-05-2012, 03:47 PM
Someone else told me the same thing, and I didn't listen. I haven't had any of my features snapped up. Hm-m-m. . . wonder if there's a connection. . . wonder if I've missed a great idea. . .

rickiholmes
02-07-2012, 03:15 PM
Hello Nick,
Just found this site. It looks very interesting. Just written and directed a faith based action film and the production company aren't willing to make a trailer. I used to have hair!

Nick Soares
02-07-2012, 03:19 PM
Ricki, can you send me the screener? Or is it not edited yet?

payperfilm
02-08-2012, 09:08 AM
Another way to sell a screenplay may be a test animatic. Check out the one I did for Amazon Studios. The download is much better than the streamed version.

Going Going Gone - "When a college freshman gets dumped because she refuses to go all the way, she puts her virginity up for auction to find out what it's really worth."

Going, Going, Gone, Phil's Animatic (Test Movie 2) : Amazon Studios

Phil

rickiholmes
02-08-2012, 11:00 AM
Hi Nick,

It's not edited yet, but there is a sequence up on the website. If you go to Brokenfaithfilm.com, click on trailer, you will see the opening sequence of the film. I would be interested in your thoughts.

Ricki

Terry W Drake
02-11-2012, 11:49 AM
How do you produce a trailer? What is involved?

Nick Soares
02-11-2012, 01:19 PM
How do you produce a trailer? What is involved?

Ill start a thread somewhere soon to help with that very question!

RobDef
02-12-2012, 08:15 AM
The question I have when I 'want to sell my script' is this one: we all love our written-babies, but what do you do when you're a first time writer. Do you sell our scripts/idea for a low(er) price to a lower-status company, or do you wait and hope for a bigger fish to bite?

Nick Soares
02-12-2012, 09:44 AM
The question I have when I 'want to sell my script' is this one: we all love our written-babies, but what do you do when you're a first time writer. Do you sell our scripts/idea for a low(er) price to a lower-status company, or do you wait and hope for a bigger fish to bite?

Well my friend, that is the million dollar question. There are so many variables to the question, but yea, I wouldn't dare tell you to sell to the small company, I dont know what you have.

Just remember - There are more scripts in the system then productions. But (busy) and smart (smart) producers are always looking for good content.

RobDef
02-12-2012, 10:18 AM
Well my friend, that is the million dollar question. There are so many variables to the question, but yea, I wouldn't dare tell you to sell to the small company, I dont know what you have.

Just remember - There are more scripts in the system then productions. But (busy) and smart (smart) producers are always looking for good content.

Well I think it's a dilemma that comes up with most of the first timers and I think you're right.

In my personal case: a small company wants to pay 2000$ for a treatment and I think I have a good shot to be chosen. But I just don't know yet if I want to sell my "super-idea" for 'just 2000$' dollar. On the other hand, if it would be sold I've got something to put on my cv ;)

Nick Soares
02-12-2012, 10:31 AM
Honestly, the (Ideas) good story ideas that is, are the hardest part to come up with. Producers look for the (Idea) of a script and will purchase the rights, then they will hand it down to their massive, talented, fast, writing team to write out the script.

But then there is another dilemma, there are more Ideas, then Scripts :eek:

This has and will always be a hot topic in the industry. I promised myself I wouldn't post here about my eBook because people are so quick to think im marketing myself, but this is a very real point I want to make. You should read my ebook and get like, $1,000 to $5,000. Then hire a team to shoot a trailer of your idea. I highly recommend only getting what you NEED, then go back to the book and fund the rest of your movie yourself to either complete it, or shoot more.

Nick

GMackenzie
02-25-2012, 01:01 AM
Nick, with this approach would you say it's better to do one 30 second scene that really captures what the film is about (say a good scare for a horror) or short cuts of numerous scenes. I know the guys who did saw did their trailer based on one scene with the reverse bear trap, wondering what your thoughts are?

Nick Soares
02-25-2012, 01:11 AM
Nick, with this approach would you say it's better to do one 30 second scene that really captures what the film is about (say a good scare for a horror) or short cuts of numerous scenes. I know the guys who did saw did their trailer based on one scene with the reverse bear trap, wondering what your thoughts are?

Well it depends on the script, a 30 (teaser) is always good to show how marketable it is. A 60 (trailer) is same as the 30 second but you have a good chance to show some story as well. Now scenes, its possible, they just better be very powerful is all, because the point is to show what it could be, so if a scene can out perform the teaser and trailer, then yes, a scene will do.

Hope this helped

Nick Soares

tloiselle
02-28-2012, 05:40 PM
Hey Nick,

I totally understand what you are saying with the created trailer idea. You're not the first to suggest it. My question is how do you get someone (producer, director, etc.) to even see the trailer to begin with.

The big reason I stick to screenwriting competitions is to get someone to actually read/see my work.

-Tyler

Nick Soares
02-28-2012, 06:30 PM
Hey Nick,

I totally understand what you are saying with the created trailer idea. You're not the first to suggest it. My question is how do you get someone (producer, director, etc.) to even see the trailer to begin with.

The big reason I stick to screenwriting competitions is to get someone to actually read/see my work.

-Tyler

That is always good, and more then most people do. The point is to visually show what your work can be, because getting producers that will make your film to read your script is hard and time consuming. But if they pop in a 30 second trailer you sent with your script then chances are they will put the pile of scripts aside and read yours (if the trailer is enticing enough)

Its easier to get a producer, director to view the 30 seconds, then to take a few hours to read someones script.

This also helps with a person is nervous of getting there script stolen, instead of sending in the script, you send in the trailer, and they WILL contact you if they are interested.

To answer your question, you send out trailer, or host it on a website, and you find a "Friend of a friend" to send it to the right person, or since you are taking only 30 seconds of their time, you can send it directly to the people you want to see it, which is better then sending a script there way and hoping for the best.

Hope this helped, and again, this is from my experience in receiving scripts alone vs. receiving trailers via website or dvd and a script later etc..

Nick Soares

M5Boss
02-28-2012, 09:42 PM
Love this trailer script concept nick.. golden nugget

Nick Soares
03-30-2012, 11:44 PM
Ill push this to the top for those interested

2001 Productions
03-31-2012, 12:56 PM
Good advice, folks!

Matter of fact, I just gaffed/gripped on a trailer shoot last week for a writer/director hoping to fund raise at Film-Com for a comedy feature.

Sheila Harding
04-03-2012, 09:35 PM
Thats the next step for me Nick!! Do you know of anyplace that I could rent quality camera equipment for CHEAP? It would have to be an online rental site that could ship the equipment.. Also I plan to get a HD sony Camera, Boom Mic, and some lighting that would help grab better picture in a rave club- What are your thoughts on this.. Will I need more or less and do you know of a site that I could rent a package deal from. I know very little about photography but I luckily am back in Oklahoma for a few months with some old college friends who ran the cameras for the news station ;) so anyways sorry for rabling..

Anythoughts and advise will be much appreciated! :)

Nick Soares
04-05-2012, 04:11 PM
Thats the next step for me Nick!! Do you know of anyplace that I could rent quality camera equipment for CHEAP? It would have to be an online rental site that could ship the equipment.. Also I plan to get a HD sony Camera, Boom Mic, and some lighting that would help grab better picture in a rave club- What are your thoughts on this.. Will I need more or less and do you know of a site that I could rent a package deal from. I know very little about photography but I luckily am back in Oklahoma for a few months with some old college friends who ran the cameras for the news station ;) so anyways sorry for rabling..

Anythoughts and advise will be much appreciated! :)

Well if you are going to be pitching your script in this way, you want the footage to look as good as possible. I would look around where you live to see if you can get the RED camera for cheap, the price for a days rental might have come down because of the new release of the EPIC, so some research and get back

Sfoster
04-12-2012, 05:41 PM
Anyone looking to do this for cheap, who has no or little experience, please message me and I can help! Message me!

Nick Soares
05-13-2012, 08:01 PM
Bump

frankb
10-20-2012, 05:33 PM
Great idea Nick! I'm brand new to this site... I'm beating my head against the wall trying to get my screenplay into the hands of a producer. The thought of making a trailer for it did cross my mind. The fact that you mentioned this idea kind of endorses it.

I see that in a past posting that you were searching for horror screenplays. Surely you've found one by now, but can I send you my logline and one page synopsis?

Nick Soares
10-20-2012, 06:49 PM
Well im glad that you are here! I did find a script, but ill add you to the list for when I need my next 4 written! Thanks for joining

jocelsmith
10-21-2012, 09:28 PM
You can sell a script depending on its content. it should be unique, interesting, well detailed and the story will surely catch the interests of the one who will buy it and the viewers who will watch.

khathawayart
11-16-2012, 03:18 PM
A small, but important, piece of advice to screenwriters.

ALWAYS include your contact info in the screenplay file [first page, header, wherever]. Common sense, right?

I work with writers in the comics biz and I get scripts all the time without contact info.

By the time I want to read their work, I have no way of getting in touch with them....so I put their script in my trash and move on to the next one.

Make it EASY to sell your work...not harder.

Kurt Hathaway
-------------------
VikingDream7 Productions
Video Production & Editing

khathawayart[at]gmail.com

theozguron
12-26-2012, 11:02 PM
hi guys, this thread definitely helped me.

Raphael Kentucky
01-02-2013, 10:23 AM
Okay but where I can put my trailer? I can do this on this forum?

Nick Soares
01-03-2013, 08:12 PM
Okay but where I can put my trailer? I can do this on this forum?

Well you would want to send the trailer with the script if you are trying to sell it. Im sure if you created a trailer and put it on Youtube the posted it here with a synopsis then send the link to people that would help

Raphael Kentucky
01-05-2013, 11:39 AM
Can I sell only the idea for movie? Just general concept? Is it possible?

Nick Soares
01-05-2013, 12:55 PM
Can I sell only the idea for movie? Just general concept? Is it possible?

Anything is possible, but this is nearly impossible. The question is, how are you going to get into contact with the people to buy the "idea" and once you have jumped that hurdle, whats to keep them from creating your idea. Ideas are hard to copyright :)

Hope this helped

Raphael Kentucky
01-06-2013, 04:22 AM
I think it's clear. Thank you. Who knows maybe someone will buy my concept if it will be good enough : P I will put this on this forum soon.

AWLeath
01-21-2013, 01:10 PM
Thanks Nick, I also figured this same thing out many years ago! People are just to busy to read today. Everything is about having a visual. I would even go as far as to say if you can get great camera equipment, quality lights, and great sound, shoot the whole damn movie yourself and sell them the finished product.

Zen 786
03-26-2013, 11:42 PM
Can I make the trailer of my script using a smart phone?

Zen 786
03-26-2013, 11:47 PM
So true, Ideas are easy to pilfer