PDA

View Full Version : Make Money On This Forum - Thought

Nick Soares
03-02-2013, 08:07 PM
Sooooo, I was wondering if you guys can give me some feedback on a possible way for users to make money here:

So I was thinking what if users could write articles (subject to approval) and in the articles you could place a small Adsense somewhere in the article?

I do believe that this is possible with what I have read up with Googles policies, but what do you all think? My only concern is if you all don't like the idea..... Please leave a reply below

For those that do not know what this means, people would have the opportunity to place a small ad banner on their article and make money from it. It is done through the Google Adsense and Google will pay you.

PLEASE LET ME KNOW YOUR THOUGHTS BE SUBMITTING A REPLY

Kevin
03-02-2013, 08:19 PM
You are just hell-bent to get me to star writing articles, aren't you.

Well, maybe not me in particular, but it certainly draws MY attention.

leetvfilms
03-02-2013, 08:27 PM
I'm not a very good article writer but it sounds like a good idea :)

Havey
03-02-2013, 08:33 PM
Awesome idea.

Sleazypanda
03-02-2013, 08:42 PM
sounds like a great idea, and a lot of fun.

NHummel
03-02-2013, 08:43 PM
Definitely a good idea.

Jsthompson79
03-02-2013, 09:16 PM
I am indifferent either way. I don't write enough articles to make it matter either way for me. However it seems to have a lot people in favor it so I say go for it.

2001 Productions
03-02-2013, 09:24 PM
Sure, why not?

dory811
03-02-2013, 09:40 PM
I know I'm new here but I would be open to writing articles.

I think making money off of it would be a great incentive.

Nick Soares
03-02-2013, 09:51 PM
Anyone can write an article, and onces the article and AD is up, you guys just do your best to get people to read it, and boom there is another cashflow ability in your pocket....

Ok, I need MORE thoughts from others, this is a big BIG! Could make everyone! Money! - We could even create a seperate forum to discuss how and what articles are bringing in the best ads, and who is making the most :) All this in addition to our amazing, Tutorials, Forums, - If we can vote on this, I think it would be a great thing!!!

I am still looking for some key people here to respond. As I have not made my mind up yet.

BigChris
03-03-2013, 12:14 AM
Hard to say,

Since you're going to be paying US, why don't you just post your own adsense ads in our articles so you can make that money you pay us back?

czstealth
03-03-2013, 12:16 AM
Can't we do that on our own anyways if we want?

Fred Peters
03-03-2013, 01:01 AM
It's an essential idea in the era of crowdfunding. It would create an admin issue for you: lots of small amounts of money to distribute amongst members.
Here's another idea: what we're going to do at StarryID (please have a look, we can help each other) is install a Centup button. Centup are due to launch tomorrow and the idea is if users like any content they can contribute a small amount of money to them. It all adds up :). That provides an incentive for members to create more and better content and also to share that content.

Todd Somers
03-03-2013, 02:00 AM
I think your interview with Kenny Gee and his film production financing short may be responsible for your looking for and coming up with this idea. Yes, Adsense, attached to member columns, sounds terrific. Just to let you know, there's a member, here, who wrote a column that ended with a suggestion that new writers, who are poor like me, may want to consider downloading free screenwriting software from Celtx.com. I did exactly that (and won't be writing my screenplays in MSWord anymore). When I get a little more money in my bank account (who am I kidding - I don't have a bank account) I will purchase the deluxe Celtx screenwriter software. You see, right there -- Celtx.com could be a prospective Adsense merchant advertising their script and pre-production software on Film Maker Forum. I may not be writing any columns here, but I have a relative and friend (who have a ton of friends on Facebook) that may want to write columns here. (This if they know there's a potential to make $$.)

Great idea, Nick!

kevinAvis
03-03-2013, 04:57 AM
Hmm...Interesting.It sounds like a good idea. Why not. Very motivating...

kiecroft
03-03-2013, 06:01 AM

myownself
03-03-2013, 06:46 AM
Sounds like a great idea. I love writing so this'll be a great opportunity for me.

Charli
03-03-2013, 07:01 AM
Hey Nick,

I'm new here, but I've been a member at dvxuser.com for years and was a moderator for donedealpro for years. To me, forums such as these are where we "freely" share what we know. Exchange concepts and ideas. Grow as artists through the mistakes and victories of our own and others.

If I wanted to join a forum in which I could earn some pocket change, I would have gone to HubPages (which I cancelled my account). I also have an Ezine article (used it more for a backlink). There are forums upon forums where a writer can make their own money.

You then become a carbon copy of Hubpages.

I was looking for a site to discuss, listen, learn without "what's in it for me." The last piece of advice given freely to me was from Jay Simpson who wrote "Armored." I wondered if there were things I could learn here. I'm an alumni of Writer's Bootcamp. I have things to share and so much to learn.

I have a website I"m currently working on to bring me income. Another on hold. I just got hired to write articles for an auction site and I use to write for an entertainment site.

I did NOT come here to a wannbe-hubpages site. I thought this was an open forum of knowledge exchange. Once people start writing for money, things change. Then it's about "how" much money they earn and not about the free exchange of ideas.

Nick, do what is best for you and this site. I get paid to write articles. On sites like these. I write to share what I learn because that's what screenwriters do. No money at stake. Just share because you WANT to.

That's my take on it.

Klay M Abele
03-03-2013, 07:02 AM
This could be really cool! I'd have to start writing articles then! Could be a good alternative from making tutorials. I'm down.

mara
03-03-2013, 07:06 AM
I think it's an excellent idea. Perhaps people could also post suggestions/requests as to what subjects that they'd be particularly interested in? I know that for me in particular, I may not think so much about point A (whatever it is!) until someone asks about it.

And btw, I was on a panel on Production yesterday at the Green Bay Film Festival - panelists were all people who had made & were screening movies at the fest. Wonderfully full room of local filmmakers of all ranges.
My point (sorry for wandering) is simply that I did mention this site as a good place to learn, ask questions, and network.

Havey
03-03-2013, 07:56 AM
Charli, I think you are taking this the wrong way.

This forum is full of knowledge. This site is based around trying to help its members in any way possible. The members here really know what they are talking about and we have some super talented members that are willing to help people at any time. The forum right now isn't trying to be a cash cow or anything. Nick just really wants this community to grow. I am saying this because I have been here for a long time now, I have watched this forum go from a few members to quite a bit in just under a year and honestly almost every new member stays here. They love the atmosphere and the community.

The site is truly just based around helping others in the filmmaking field. So please, don't get the wrong impression on this.

We have just recently implemented a Tutorials section, and not that long ago we implemented an Articles section to help members even more, and basically be able to make tutorials to interact and help fellow members of the website.

Then Nick decided..."Hey! If these dedicated and talented members are going to put hard work and time into their efforts, why not let people donate to them!?" Which, in all honesty is a very gracious thing to do. It gives members the opportunity to donate small or large amounts to people who they think have truly helped them out.

Nick is just trying to figure out ways to help benefit this community, and its members. If you are a film maker, which I'm sure you are, then you would understand how expensive it is to film. So all of us here could use the extra cash to help with equipment and filming.

Don't take what he is trying to do the wrong way! Thanks for sharing your input! :)

ScreenCraft
03-03-2013, 08:09 AM
This is a fair argument. By allowing users to monetize their posts, it gives them the incentive to write posts that will rack up google hits or attract high-paying adsense instead of simply writing content that is helpful and interacting with the community.

EliJacob
03-03-2013, 08:29 AM
I think its a good idea. But it doesn't turn me away if you dont do it either.

Nick Soares
03-03-2013, 09:16 AM
Hey Nick,

I'm new here, but I've been a member at dvxuser.com for years and was a moderator for donedealpro for years. To me, forums such as these are where we "freely" share what we know. Exchange concepts and ideas. Grow as artists through the mistakes and victories of our own and others.

If I wanted to join a forum in which I could earn some pocket change, I would have gone to HubPages (which I cancelled my account). I also have an Ezine article (used it more for a backlink). There are forums upon forums where a writer can make their own money.

You then become a carbon copy of Hubpages.

I was looking for a site to discuss, listen, learn without "what's in it for me." The last piece of advice given freely to me was from Jay Simpson who wrote "Armored." I wondered if there were things I could learn here. I'm an alumni of Writer's Bootcamp. I have things to share and so much to learn.

I have a website I"m currently working on to bring me income. Another on hold. I just got hired to write articles for an auction site and I use to write for an entertainment site.

I did NOT come here to a wannbe-hubpages site. I thought this was an open forum of knowledge exchange. Once people start writing for money, things change. Then it's about "how" much money they earn and not about the free exchange of ideas.

Nick, do what is best for you and this site. I get paid to write articles. On sites like these. I write to share what I learn because that's what screenwriters do. No money at stake. Just share because you WANT to.

That's my take on it.

You make a very interesting point, I never looked at it that way.

As far as the money getting split, I dont do any of that. You are in control from the beginning, You get an adsense account from google and they allow you to place ads and get paid, FilmmakerForum.org gets nothing. Money goes straight to you.

myownself
03-03-2013, 09:35 AM
The thing that is being forgotten here is that this isn't on all posts, just the articles people make.

AWLeath
03-03-2013, 09:51 AM
The only issue as I see it is that ADSENSE pays in such small increments it will be a while before you see any real money. Patience and diligence is an order in this scenario. Overall, it's a cool idea though.

Nick Soares
03-03-2013, 09:57 AM
Just so you guys know, Adsense and Adsense for Youtube - Pay much differently. Youtube ads from my experience pay around 4 cents. But website ads I average around $0.80 to $2!!!! A CLICK. Just wanted to fill people in on that.

Keep them coming

dougshear
03-03-2013, 10:04 AM
Hi Nick. You have to get a crazy number of hits on anything with an adwords banner, or better yet, contextual ads, in order to make anything other than pennies. I've been playing that game for a few years and would say that you need thousands of hits to get a dozen clicks, with each click worth between 20 cents and a dollar, more or less. Financial company related hits pay a lot. Artsy hits pay a lot less.

The other thing to keep in mind is that Google will not allow you to place ads in anything controversial or inappropriate. For example, I have a website I started as a joke called Pubic Hair (http://intimatehair.com), which gets hundreds of thousands of hits a month, but Google won't let me put adwords on it because of the words Pubic Hair. So any articles people write would have to be G rated. So, while I very much encourage your entrepreneurial thinking, the reality is that while it can be done, it ain't easy to make money with it.

Doug Shear
American Karma - Twilight of the Marijuana Gods

pkillam
03-03-2013, 10:56 AM
Just so you guys know, Adsense and Adsense for Youtube - Pay much differently. Youtube ads from my experience pay around 4 cents. But website ads I average around $0.80 to $2!!!! A CLICK. Just wanted to fill people in on that.

Keep them coming

As an example this You Tube girl (Cupquake she goes by) has over 350,000 subscribers playing video games... Thats right she makes videos of herself playing video games.
There has to be a way to get people to view adds etc. It is a good idea. My daughter has an account and has 5,000 followers. You just have to tap into the right people.

leetvfilms
03-03-2013, 11:58 AM
Hmmmm she must have gotten permission from game makers to make money off the videos because as I understand it, to even monetize your videos, the content within the videos has to be original and of your own creation unless you have obtained the rights to use copyrighted material.

Havey
03-03-2013, 12:01 PM
Hmmmm she must have gotten permission from game makers to make money off the videos because as I understand it, to even monetize your videos, the content within the videos has to be original and of your own creation unless you have obtained the rights to use copyrighted material.

Trust me. They don't look into it nor care. I'm not kidding.

I'm been in the montage scene for almost 6 years now and from my knowledge most people are making bank off doing videos for games. I think the way the game makers look at it is just publicity.

AnnYan
03-03-2013, 12:04 PM
it's a good idea since everyone wants to make something- which is money.

leetvfilms
03-03-2013, 12:05 PM

I'm been in the montage scene for almost 6 years now and from my knowledge most people are making bank off doing videos for games. I think the way the game makers look at it is just publicity.

Hmmmm... really? Thats interesting. To think I probably could have started this venture a few years ago but didn't because I read up on youtube's policy for monetizing videos.

Havey
03-03-2013, 12:10 PM
Yea its really weird. I'm not saying they won't say anything. But I make Halo montages and I know some of the biggest names in the game. They have over 10k subscribers and I know they make decent money.

I don't monetize my Halo videos though, not really a point unless you are getting thousands of views per video.

leetvfilms
03-03-2013, 12:16 PM
Yea its really weird. I'm not saying they won't say anything. But I make Halo montages and I know some of the biggest names in the game. They have over 10k subscribers and I know they make decent money.

I don't monetize my Halo videos though, not really a point unless you are getting thousands of views per video.

Ah ok I got ya. Well, I just learnt something new today :)

czstealth
03-03-2013, 01:55 PM
This is not true. I create all original content and monetizing videos is still a pain in the ass sometimes. If anything is slightly suspicious they will revoke monetization and you have to go through this long appeal process and wait 2 months for them to look at it.

Havey
03-03-2013, 02:00 PM
This is not true. I create all original content and monetizing videos is still a pain in the ass sometimes. If anything is slightly suspicious they will revoke monetization and you have to go through this long appeal process and wait 2 months for them to look at it.

It actually is true. Lol. I have seen it done for a very long time. When it comes to gaming they aren't that harsh. Trust me. I know guys who make tons of money off of their Halo videos. I know this for a fact.

The only time I ever see guys get strikes or anything against their videos is when they use copyrighted music. Thats it.

It might be different in different cases. But my friends and big name editors I personally know, that is true.

czstealth
03-03-2013, 02:07 PM
Really? What do you say under the monetization tab to get them to accept it?

It actually is true. Lol. I have seen it done for a very long time. When it comes to gaming they aren't that harsh. Trust me. I know guys who make tons of money off of their Halo videos. I know this for a fact.

The only time I ever see guys get strikes or anything against their videos is when they use copyrighted music. Thats it.

It might be different in different cases. But my friends and big name editors I personally know, that is true.

Havey
03-03-2013, 02:09 PM
I'm not totally sure what they say. I don't do it because I just don't get the views on my gaming videos. I can ask them if you would like me to? I have never really asked them before, but i know most of all of their videos get accepted.

czstealth
03-03-2013, 02:12 PM
Please do, and see if they are part of a network as well.

Havey
03-03-2013, 02:13 PM
I know one of them for a fact is part of Machinima. Actually 2 of them. And i know they are all partner accounts with Youtube. That might have something to do with it.

design brewery
03-04-2013, 04:29 PM
Sounds a great idea.

Treadwell
03-06-2013, 08:22 AM
I think this is an absolutely fantastic idea. I'm a therapist, an educator and writer. I would love to write articles!!! Just say when:)