PDA

View Full Version : The IMDB

dvcasey
02-28-2013, 08:59 AM
Greetings Forum members,

I have been interested in film since I was a kid. Up to now, have been too busy to get too involved. Since it's conception, I have wanted my own IMDB page. I have several friends who have their own, but neither would tell me how they got one. My assumption has been that you need to be involved in the production of a film. There must be more to it than this otherwise, YouTube would sap up all of IMDB's memory in a few hours.

Is there a magic formula to getting in the movie database? I'm interested in most aspects of film making-----acting, directing, writing, crew.....etc.

Looking to make some friends here, and learn lots!

Nick Soares
02-28-2013, 09:04 AM
The magic formula is - You need to have been part of a movie, something that has distribution or a short that has been to festivals. Unless they have changed their rules. If a movie is released, then IMDB will add the credits for you.

leetvfilms
02-28-2013, 09:18 AM
You can also have an IMDB page by signing up for the 14 day free trial. Then if you decide to keep it, you will be billed monthly. Thats what I did to start out with that way I can upload pics and reels onto my page. Its also good to do that because when I got my first IMDB credit, I didn't have a page yet and the project leader listed my name on his IMDB page and it was another Lee Alexander who did quite a lot of visual effects work for blockbuster movies. So I created a page :)

Havey
02-28-2013, 09:19 AM
Yep. Basically what the two guys above me said. Its really not a difficult task. You can really choose what method you want to do and just go with that. Of course the best way to get your name there and ready to go is to just do something in a film.

Btw I messaged you back!

mara
02-28-2013, 09:35 AM
The magic formula is - You need to have been part of a movie, something that has distribution or a short that has been to festivals. Unless they have changed their rules. If a movie is released, then IMDB will add the credits for you.

Nick - I think it's actually gotten easier in the past few years. If you set up your movie on WAB, and submit it to festivals via WAB, you'll get an invitation to set up the movie's page (with a link) when the first fest acknowledges receipt of the movie. The difference is that it's a requirement for submission, not acceptance. I think this is because both WAB & IMDB are both now owned by Amazon.

Thewhixfx is referring (I believe) to a personal resume page, which you can get either with or without having credits or a "regular" IMDB page.

leetvfilms
02-28-2013, 09:55 AM
Nick - I think it's actually gotten easier in the past few years. If you set up your movie on WAB, and submit it to festivals via WAB, you'll get an invitation to set up the movie's page (with a link) when the first fest acknowledges receipt of the movie. The difference is that it's a requirement for submission, not acceptance. I think this is because both WAB & IMDB are both now owned by Amazon.

Thewhixfx is referring (I believe) to a personal resume page, which you can get either with or without having credits or a "regular" IMDB page.

Yeah I was referring to a personal page :)

dvcasey
03-01-2013, 03:51 AM
Thanks guys for the info. WAB? Is that..........withoutabox??

mara
03-01-2013, 04:56 AM
Thanks guys for the info. WAB? Is that..........withoutabox??

Yes - http://www.withoutabox.com
Sorry about that!

Charles
03-01-2013, 08:27 AM
Mara, your posts have been very helpful to members here, and many guests im sure. Just wanted to send you a nice little "Thank You"

mara
03-01-2013, 08:34 AM
Thanks, Charles! As I sit on a delayed plane at Newark Airport, your comment definitely improved my mood :)

khathawayart
03-04-2013, 11:35 AM
My IMBD page was put together by the folks at IMDB with no input from me.

When I first heard about the site maybe 15 years ago, I looked myself up--and there I was.

I was puzzled by the incomplete list, though....until I recently figured out that many of my work wasn't credited in the movie's actual screen credits. These would be me helping out on another production for a few weeks, for instance. My union rules probably don't demand credit for helping out for only a few weeks.

So, though I have pay stubs for those jobs, if there's no movie credit, IMDB doesn't know to add the movie to my page. Which makes perfect sense.

Movies I worked from start to end would have my name in the creds [as per my union], so that's what the list is composed of. It's a pretty short list and I worked on waaa-aay more movies than are listed there.

Kurt Hathaway
-------------------
VikingDream7 Productions
Video Production & Editing

khathawayart[at]gmail.com

mara
03-04-2013, 12:56 PM
IMDB puts the page together from info that the filmmaker submits.
Easiest way to get your credits added would be to reach out to the filmmakers if you still know them, and ask them to submit it.

I do know people who have successfully done it themselves.