PDA

View Full Version : Interview with THE BODY director Kenny Gee

Nick Soares
02-27-2013, 08:07 AM
This interview is based on a day of scanning through Indiegogo.com and one video really catching my eye. So much so that I had to donate or I would be going against everything filmmaking in my blood!! It was that good. Watch the video below.

This "News" has been promoted to an Article - See the video HERE (http://www.filmmakerforum.org/content/25-interview-body-director-kenny-gee.html)

The Interview:

Nick
Hello Kenny! I wanted to thank you for taking this interview, Filmmaker Forum will appreciate this as well!

Kenny
Nick, thanks so much for the opportunity! It's my pleasure.
Nick
Lets start this off by a question that many users might want to know.

How did you come up with the idea of your IndieGoGo campaign video? Your video was a fresh idea that I have never seen before.

Kenny
The idea for 'Help Kenny Gee Now' really came out of a brainstorming session between myself and my buddy Chi Laughlin, who attended NYU with me. Over the last couple of years, I'd seen lots of fundraising videos for a variety of causes, and always knew I wanted my video to be like those I enjoyed, which employed a little bit of creativity and invention. This was especially important to me because I'm a filmmaker trying to promote a film, and it would just have been the worst thing in the world for the video to have been just me talking directly into a webcam. I wanted my video to show that I could make films, basically, and hopefully be a bit entertaining. To this end, Chi and I just sat down and brainstormed, and when the idea came up, we just both knew it was the right one.

Nick

How long was your film shoot and what equipment did you use? *NOTE* camera, lighting, etc....

Kenny
'Help Kenny Gee Now' was shot in just a day, from about noon til sunset, with just two more crew members that you don't see onscreen - my DP Shijie and Gary, my sound guy, who rocked a ZoomKit and a boompole. We used natural light and a bounceboard for a couple of shots, and captured everything on a Canon5D. I also brought a wheelchair to set just in case, and actually pushed it myself for just that one move into the two thugs as they're listening to the pitch.

Nick

Why do you feel your campaign reached its goal so fast?

Kenny
There are two things I discovered almost immediately after I launched my campaign for 'The Body'. Number one, that people really liked the video--which was awesome--and number two, that all my friends on social media, were absolutely ready to go to bat for me, sharing the video and spreading the word. I think this is partly due to Singapore audiences being ready for a bit of excitement, and for something different from what they're used too in theaters; and partly because I just had a network of incredibly supportive and generous friends, that I just can't thank enough!

I also had a lot of help from Indiegogo and Indiewire, who nominated 'The Body' for their 'Campaign of the Day' and 'Project of the Day' respectively--and on the same day! When that happened, interest in us just went through the roof, so our success is owed in big part to their support of us as well.

Nick
Did you expect to receive the goal as fast as you did?

Kenny
In all honesty, no! I thought we had made a funny video that was a bit different, that would make my friends laugh, which would in turn convince them to donate, just for the novelty of seeing me getting smacked around. Never in my wildest dreams would I have expected this outpouring of support and enthusiasm for 'The Body', for which I'm just really grateful.

Nick
If there were a few tips you could give our filmmakers on this forum about creating a successful funding campaign, what would they be?

Kenny
The first piece of advice I've got for all filmmakers is to start building your network now. Every person you meet or connect with is another person who might give you your big break, and vice versa; especially if you've built a presence in their eyes that demonstrates your passion for your craft and who you are as an artist. Secondly, it's important to try and separate yourself from the pack. The vast majority of people out there have campaigns that look just like everyone else's - do something different! Lastly, always be polite and positive, even in the face of harsh criticism.

Nick
Kenny, it was a pleasure! Do you have any last words?

Kenny
Thanks so much to you Nick and everyone at Filmmaker Forum for the opportunity to speak with you! If anyone would like to find out more about 'The Body', they can head on down to www.indiegogo.com/thebody (http://www.indiegogo.com/thebody) or follow us on Facebook and Twitter at [at]HelpKennyGee.

'The Body' is also currently in the running for Indiewire's Project of the Month, and if you'd like to support us, you can cast your vote here: http://www.indiewire.com/article/decide-who-talks-to-the-tribeca-film-institute-will-it-be-jaya-passfire-valentine-or-body (http://www.indiewire.com/article/decide-who-talks-to-the-tribeca-film-institute-will-it-be-jaya-passfire-valentine-or-body)