PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone speak to this company's reputability

Patrick Wiley
02-21-2013, 10:49 AM
I'm considering distributing a documentary through a company known as Alchemy Werks, which is owned and operated by Warren Croyle. It has several subsidiaries including "Eyes Wide Open" and "Reality Entertainment" reality entertainment being their main label.

I was wondering if anyone here can speak to the reputability of Mr. Croyle and his company. I'd especially appreciate if anyone here can put me in touch with someone who's distributed through an Alchemy Werks company and knows if they engage in fair distribution practices that are to the best interest of my company.

Thanks.

Comment removed by Admin due to legal notices saying that this was "defamatory" to the company Warren Croyle.

Nick Soares
02-21-2013, 11:18 AM
Any company that is private (meaning not a publicly traded company where all their financials are public) is subject to not paying out like they should. No one will ever know and you can't do anything about it because you signed a NET contract. Most studio companies are to the "T" on sales because they are public and would get scrutinized all over. NOW im not saying this about this company, but I would research when they have distributed in the past, and contact those producers. Last year I got three phone calls wondering about American World Pictures, they said Im am so sorry to bother you or offend you if I ask about your experience with them, I said "Dude, I am happy you called and would love to tell you my experience" - That is me though, some people dont make money and like to tell people they did and therefor they will get offended and/or lie, so be careful who you call.

^ These are just my thoughts.....

Patrick Wiley
02-21-2013, 11:49 AM
I thought of taking that approach but it's a bit hard to get in touch with the companies. Half the films Reality Entertainment is distributing are their own films which they've produced. I've looked through a few of the ones that were acquired from other companies and its hard to find websites for the companies or the producers behind them. My producer thinks thats a red flag.

That's why I was hopping someone here had dealt with them directly or new someone who did. I guess I'll keep digging, it might be worth upgrading to IMDB pro so I can just contact one of these producers directly.

On the plus side I haven't seen any scathing reviews or warnings online about Croyle or his company. I found one mention on a blog that simply said he was a distributor for their film without much else. I'm going to try and get in contact with that guy.

Nick Soares
02-21-2013, 12:02 PM
Well no need to spend the money on IMDB's pro if you are just looking to give a little info, I can help with that - Just have to wait until about 7pm tonight

Charles
02-21-2013, 12:14 PM
Please keep us posted on what choices you made and how you made them.

Patrick Wiley
02-21-2013, 02:51 PM
No problem Charles.

Nick is that 7pm Pacific or eastern time?

Paul77
02-21-2013, 02:54 PM
Most likely his time, I would think. My bad if im wrong

Patrick Wiley
02-21-2013, 03:15 PM
Oh if it makes a difference our contract says we're entitled to receive statements with respect to how the thing's selling although I may be reading it wrong.

Nick Soares
02-21-2013, 03:21 PM
Oh if it makes a difference our contract says we're entitled to receive statements with respect to how the thing's selling although I may be reading it wrong.

Every company offers that, that is standard, if they didn't offer that then I would trash that contract right away.

Yes, 7pm my time. But now that I think about it and to save me some time, why dont you just create a 14 day trial? That should give you enough time to do the research needed, yea?

Patrick Wiley
02-21-2013, 03:24 PM
Ah, sweet I didn't know that deal existed.

Thanks I'll just do that.

Patrick Wiley
02-22-2013, 06:24 PM
As promised I'd like to update you all.

Comment removed by Admin due to legal notices saying that this was "defamatory" to the company Warren Croyle.

On individual was nice enough to recommend some sites to help us improve the self distribution we were already doing.

Nick Soares
02-22-2013, 06:44 PM
You should edit your first post with your last comment.

Patrick Wiley
02-22-2013, 08:29 PM
Umm, I'm probably going to look very foolish in a second but I'm not seeing an edit button.

Charles
02-22-2013, 08:52 PM
Bottom right hand of your post you should see Update Post

Yay! I think I finally got to help somone

Distribution 411
02-22-2013, 11:29 PM
Nick's advice is right on, here. When you guys want information on a distributor, asking here of course is great, and looking up producers of films previously handled is the best way to get direct feedback. Pretty much everyone has a digital footprint online these days, either a Facebook page, a LinkedIn account, a website, a listing at IMDBpro, etc., so almost any producer of any film can be found & gotten hold of. (Unless they're famous and don't want to respond to you.)

Patrick Wiley
02-23-2013, 10:33 AM
Huh, for some reason I don't see that option in my initial post.

Nick Soares
02-23-2013, 11:57 AM
Huh, for some reason I don't see that option in my initial post.

Sorry. Try now

I forgot there was a time limit to edit original threads, you may do so now. I have lifted this time limit to never.