PDA

View Full Version : Best script writing program?

Troy
02-20-2013, 03:04 PM
Hey guys i was wondering if you could recommend a good starter program for script writing. Right now i use open office with a script template witch works fine but i wanted to see if there was something better. Also because i'm so new to writing at this point i'm not to interested in buying programs. Though i do appreciate knowing what programs i should move to when i do get better.

P.S I'm on a PC and not a mac.

Thanks for the help.

Update:
Thanks everyone for all the help i'm going to give Celtx a shot. Glad to know that i was not the only one who did not like programs like Microsoft word. I think if i get good enough at script writing i will later switch from celtx to final draft.

Once again thanks for all the help!

Havey
02-20-2013, 03:05 PM
https://www.celtx.com/index.html

Best free software I know of. Its what I use.

MCubb
02-20-2013, 03:16 PM
Agreed. Celtx. The others such as Final Draft just have too many unnecessary add-ons. I don't need a ton of pages for bios of characters and storyboards and what not. I've got journals for that. But a lot of people do like to fill out every page and bit. So it's based on how you write. For me, its a few notebooks, then into Celtx, then a whole lot more Celtx revisions, then the printer.

Nick Soares
02-20-2013, 03:18 PM
I used Final Draft (http://www.filmmakerforum.org/scripts/1473-final-draft-script-writing-software.html) for writing my films. I've heard of celtx many times but have never used it. Im sure there is some free software out there you can use.

Troy
02-20-2013, 03:20 PM
I'm checking out celtx now. I'm going to need to spend some time with it to fully understand it but one quick question i have is can you download your scripts you have written on it? Or even work on scripts if your not connected to the internet?

Troy
02-20-2013, 03:34 PM
I used Final Draft (http://www.filmmakerforum.org/scripts/1473-final-draft-script-writing-software.html) for writing my films. I've heard of celtx many times but have never used it. Im sure there is some free software out there you can use.

I think final draft would be a good program to move up to later on when i become better at writing scripts. At this point I'm really only looking at free software. (Adding to original post)

Nick Soares
02-20-2013, 03:36 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xsVGxUPcyM

I say go with celtex then yea?

Havey
02-20-2013, 03:37 PM
You can work on scripts if you aren't connected to the internet.

leetvfilms
02-20-2013, 04:14 PM
Celtx is good. Final Draft is good too. Hell if you really wanted to, you can use Microsoft word but doing all that formatting can be tedious. Celtx and Final Draft does it for you :)

Havey
02-20-2013, 04:19 PM
Eh, just because Celtx is free and an actual screen writing program I would go with it at first. I tried doing screenplays when I first started with Word and it was sooooooo hard lol.

Nick Soares
02-20-2013, 04:27 PM
I really dont know if I could write a script without Final Draft honestly, I wouldn't know how to format it and That WOULD BE SO frustrating!

Troy
02-20-2013, 04:29 PM
That's what i have been doing with open office all this time. Glad to know there are better ways.

leetvfilms
02-20-2013, 04:35 PM
I was using Celtx for awhile and then my buddy introduced me to Final Draft. Haven't gone back since.

Jsthompson79
02-20-2013, 04:45 PM
We use Celtx in the online degree program I am in. I do want to move to Final Draft in the future but it is behind buying new lens and a color grading setup.

Kevin
02-20-2013, 07:40 PM
Just a note for folks who might be reading this, and confused... Celtx is both an ONLINE scriptwriter, and a free program. Their the same company, but one you downolad onto your PC and use while the other is basically a "Cloud", webpage based thing. I have been playing with both, and find the program a lot more flexible. They also have a premium version (Or however they phrase it) for a small cost (Around 20.00 if memory serves) but I haven't played with it to know if it's worthwhile. I rather like the free program, but then I haven't used anything else so I wouldn't know any better.

Nick Soares
02-20-2013, 07:53 PM
Troy, can you update your first post with what you have confirmed you found and liked! Thanks!

NHummel
02-20-2013, 10:07 PM
I use Final Draft, before I used Microsoft Word, but it is a nightmare to format a script on Word, so by no means would I recommend that. I LOVE Final Draft though. Definitely worth the money.

Vance Baryn
02-21-2013, 12:49 AM
I really like Sophocles. I started using it about 13 years ago. I keep trying other programs but keep coming back to Sophocles. The layout is so intuitive, the formatting is automatic such that you barely have to think about it, all the parts are color coded as well as formatted, and the reports are incredibly useful. You can use it to take your screenplay all the way from idea to production including breakdown and budgeting.

The only problem is that the company who makes it went out of business a number of years ago... and screwed all the users over because they had a system in place where you had to email the company and get another license key any time you got a new computer, and once they went out of business, no one could get a license key anymore. Luckily, there are people around who deal with that sort of problem. **NO TORRENTS HERE! (ADMIN)** (double click the .reg file after you install to unlock)

I don't know that it's technically free, but the company that made it is kaput, so that means free to me.

Raphael Kentucky
03-04-2013, 12:26 PM
Are you guys sure that celtx is free?

leetvfilms
03-04-2013, 12:40 PM
It was free the last time I used it.

Vance Baryn
03-04-2013, 12:52 PM
celtx is definitely free. There's a celtx plus that costs $15 but normal celtx is free.

kevinAvis
03-04-2013, 12:55 PM
Final draft is the best for me. One of the best screenwriting program you can find out there.