PDA

View Full Version : Film Ideas: Green Screen

Gre Gyi
02-18-2013, 02:23 PM
I'm trying to brainstorm some ideas for indie filmmakers that could be created exclusively on a green screen. There is, of course, the obvious example - Sin City. And plenty could be done with some extremely complicated composite work... but does anybody have any other ideas?

Nick Soares
02-18-2013, 02:40 PM
Hmmm, thats an interesting question. Ill have to ponder this for a bit - Are you thinking of ideas, like story ideas that can be made all on green screen?

Gre Gyi
02-18-2013, 06:10 PM
I am. I can think of a lot of basic things which could be done like jail cells.

Tron, Sky Captain, Star Wars prequels, Sin City, and 300 were all heavily done on green screen. However, they were done on large CGI budgets also.

I'm looking for ideas which wouldn't require the big budget - more along the lines of Buried or other movies that don't require all the heavy animation.

Nick Soares
02-18-2013, 06:21 PM
Ok, so lets think here..

Budget "Small"

Locations, lets keep it to, well ONE right?

So one location, ---- wait just had a brain fart... The actual filming will be in one location (All Green screen)

Ok..... Here we go

Nope, nothing......

This is tough because even though its going to be low budget you want to have different shots and angles and cut aways!

Im at a total loss here, maybe something like SAW? Its wierd because you have a green screen so you are basically unlimited
on what you can do (with the right team) - But yea, creating an idea all green screen is tough. I appologize I was no help

leetvfilms
02-18-2013, 06:31 PM
It can be done. Check out the first 5 minutes of my friends film. I did all of the visual effects for it. The only budget we are trying to get for the film is to get a couple of actors from LA to be in the film. Other than that, everything else is strictly done with no budget. So it can be done.

https://vimeo.com/54316365

Vance Baryn
02-19-2013, 01:43 AM
Yeah it's completely doable. When I was in film school, I made a film that took place in an alternate dimension in which the main character was wondering around encountering copies of himself and a mysterious floating woman. The entire thing was shot against a green screen and the environment was created in After Effects. It requires a lot of planning, but not necessarily a big budget.

leetvfilms
02-19-2013, 07:57 AM
Yeah it's completely doable. When I was in film school, I made a film that took place in an alternate dimension in which the main character was wondering around encountering copies of himself and a mysterious floating woman. The entire thing was shot against a green screen and the environment was created in After Effects. It requires a lot of planning, but not necessarily a big budget.

Hey man :) Do you still have that film? Be interesting to see :)

Nick Soares
02-19-2013, 08:38 AM
Great stuff!

Paul77
02-19-2013, 10:48 AM
Wait, didn't Gre Gyi mean to shoot the (entire) film with greenscreen only? Like no physical objects? Or Gre did you mean you can have foreground stuff?

Nick Soares
02-19-2013, 12:21 PM
Ok, well having foreground objects changes things a big. I was thinking 100% green screen, that would be hard unless someone can prove me wrong :)

leetvfilms
02-19-2013, 12:23 PM
It could be done but it would be just as easy to have foreground props in there for actors to interact with. :)

Vance Baryn
02-19-2013, 10:07 PM
My film did not have foreground objects, and the character did minimally interact with the environment and virtual objects which were added in post.

[at]thewhixfx unfortunately, I don't have a copy of it. It's one of the things I lost in a big hard disk crash some years back.

leetvfilms
02-19-2013, 10:39 PM
[at]Vance: Ah that sucks man. I know how that goes.

Kevin
02-20-2013, 10:50 AM
A movie that can be shot in a great big green room, basically? Well... if you have an animator you could do something like the animation portion of Mary Poppins... but that's a bit obvious, isn't it.

You could do a story with the main characters as Angels (Or Gods... or whatever). They shift from place to place, interacting with eachother but never directly with anyone else in the scene... So they land in New York, but don't talk to anyone walking by, instead debating about what they see. This wouldn't require foreground objects, or another set piece but you'd have to be REALLY careful about shot angles and lighting/color correction (I think, since I'm a newbie.)

A space movie, where you have a central prop/set piece like a apollo moon lander or some other vehicle would allow you to do a film set on an asteroid. The characters would be in space suits, so you'd need the rock they were standing on (Which you might even be able to just film or get stock footage/photos of an existing big rock somewhere) and all you'd have to CGI or Animate are the stars (Or if you are up to a BIT of CGI, do the rock as well).

Without any foreground objects, alot of my ideas are going to involve being in the air, or in space, to be honest. Of course, to some extent you could try to solve the lack of foreground (Like terrain) by shooting your scene on the green screen, putting in the background and underfoot elements, render that video, then overlay a bit of foreground imagry by basically "Greenscreening" the first segment onto it. I'm not sure how well that would work, though.

Hopefully I sounded helpful.... or, barring that, not like a total idiot. I could probobly come up with a few other thoughts if I really sat down... this is just what streamed out of my head right now... if it's insane, please don't hate me... heh.