PDA

View Full Version : Books to Movies

Stonemode
02-06-2013, 02:38 PM
I was just wondering, why is it that most movies come from books? What's wrong with us writers?

Nick Soares
02-06-2013, 03:04 PM
I don't know about "most" but books normally are re-written to screenplays because they a popular (have a HUGE fanbase already) and they are normally very rich in content, so much so that they have to take out many things just to fit it in a 90 minute film. There are more reasons, but I have to go take my babies pictures :)

Stonemode
02-06-2013, 03:32 PM
You right Nick, and I suppose the author gets a cut (money) too.

Stonemode
02-06-2013, 03:36 PM
By the way Nick, enjoy every moment take pictures with your daughter. Baby pictures are priceless.

2001 Productions
02-06-2013, 04:34 PM
Movies are not just based on books, but are adapted from any number of existing sources - comic books, TV shows, other movies, video games, toys, etc. All for the same reason Nick offers: they have an existing fan base, virtually guaranteeing them at lease SOME audience, whereas a totally new concept is a much bigger risk. In this age, when studio movies are astronomically expensive to produce, any means of ensuring attendance is far preferable to none.

It's easy to blame the industry, but audiences are the ones that determine what gets made by voting with their ticket purchases.

NHummel
02-06-2013, 10:26 PM
It does seem like a lot of movies these days are based off of books/short stories/graphic novels. Heck, Bullet to the Head and Silver Linings Playbook are just two that are currently in theaters that are based off book/graphic novel, but to say that most are based off of books is pushing it a bit.

shawnrohrbach
02-07-2013, 08:25 AM
books need a complete and complex story to work well. Many scripts that originate as scripts tend to be light in the story and narrative thread. Going from a book to script is no easy feat; so much of a three hundred page book will not fit into a ninety page script, but it is then possible for the director and cinematographer to incorporate much of the dropped back story and subplot into action, scenery, etc.