PDA

View Full Version : How did Spike do this?

ChrisOmar17
01-13-2013, 06:30 PM
Hey guys,
I'm new to the forum, as well as all aspects of video production. The NBA just released a new commercial directed by the great Spike Lee, starring Chris Paul, and Magic Johnson, where Chris suddenly teleports from the court during a game to a bar where Magic was watching the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obkhSaTuDhI

My question is... How did he get Chris to disappear, as well as adding in that "poof" effect? I believe I have all the tools needed... Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5, After Effects. All help is appreciated.

Best Answer:

As far as the smoke on the court they shot this without the main player, then they shot him alone with a green screen or used motion capture at the same angle as the camera is showing (some shots up high, some from the side), then they added him in accordingly.

When he is sitting at the table -

This is something anyone can do with a camera. They set the camera down and lock it into place, then they film the two people on the left with no one on the right, they pretend to react to him as he appears. Then they film the guy that appears by himself (Notice when he goes to grab food they cut away right before he crosses paths with anyone) They take these two layers and add them together in editing, and add the smoke etc.. and BOOM you have a cool commercial

Hope this helped :)

Nick Soares
01-13-2013, 06:52 PM
Welcome! Ok, watching the video now

Troy
01-13-2013, 06:53 PM
From what i see i would guess they would have 2 shots where the camera does not move.

One with him running around and one with the other players

He would be masked into the shot with all the other players and then disappear with stock footage of smoke. (Look up action essentials to find good stock footage elements)

After they have that done they would digitally zoom into the shot and move around the camera.

Then parent the masked player and smoke to the main shot so it follows where the camera is looking.

That's how i would do this but everyone has different ways on doing things.

Edit
----------------
After another look though i don't exactly know how they got the smoke to follow him after he moves.

Nick Soares
01-13-2013, 06:59 PM
As far as the smoke on the court they shot this without the main player, then they shot him alone with a green screen or used motion capture at the same angle as the camera is showing (some shots up high, some from the side), then they added him in accordingly.

When he is sitting at the table -

This is something anyone can do with a camera. They set the camera down and lock it into place, then they film the two people on the left with no one on the right, they pretend to react to him as he appears. Then they film the guy that appears by himself (Notice when he goes to grab food they cut away right before he crosses paths with anyone) They take these two layers and add them together in editing, and add the smoke etc.. and BOOM you have a cool commercial

Hope this helped :)

ChrisOmar17
01-14-2013, 07:23 AM
What you said made sense. But it seems that it would be EXTREMELY difficult to get all of those players on the same court unless it was during a game. When I first saw it, I thought that was all in game footage, and that was actually the players reacting to Chris' moves (which is quite amazing lol). Is that actually possible?

Nick Soares
01-14-2013, 09:16 AM
Its all smoke and mirrors :)

SlothfulFilms
01-30-2013, 06:38 PM
I think it is a real game footage. Look when he disappears, it looks like the defender is still following someone.
I think with careful masking and copying the surrounding textures on the court, they decreased the opacity of Chris Paul, while
at the same time, adding the smoke effect. They would only need to make him during the frames he's gone, which would take TONS of
time.

khathawayart
03-08-2013, 05:33 PM
Could be real game footage.

If you notice, the guy who disappears has no one behind him...they chose those angles because of that. Filling in the parts of another player behind him would be tricky. But with this all they had to do was remove the player...and fill in the gap with the floor pattern..and hide the mask somewhat with the smoke puff.

It's a very effective effect--and the shots are so short, it wasn't too hard to pull off.

I suspect there was more work in the smoke puff starting off in the shape of the player. That was maybe a particle system.

Kurt Hathaway
khathawayart[at]gmail.com

Director
03-09-2013, 12:09 AM
And of course they added the sound effects :)

Director
03-09-2013, 12:10 AM
BTW, here's a Video CoPilot tutorial that shows you how to do things like this. VIDEO COPILOT | After Effects Tutorials, Plug-ins and Stock Footage for Post Production Professionals (http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorial/the_portal/)

Mark
03-09-2013, 11:25 AM
Are there any Adobe After Effects "MASTERS" on this forum?

leetvfilms
03-13-2013, 10:30 AM
Its real game footage which is evident after the player disappears and the opposing player is still guarding him and tryin to anticpate his moves. The footage is likely tracked and rotoed using Mocha. The smoke or dusting effect is either Maya fluids or Fume FX for 3D Studio Max. Looks really good though.

Anonymous Filmmaker
04-20-2013, 03:47 AM
I agree with what others said for the most part, but to me it looks like there were 2 kinds of smoke. Particle created, and actually filmed, probably on a green screen. Not sure if I'm right, but it appears that way to me. Tell me if you think so too, so I know I'm not seeing things!