PDA

View Full Version : What should my next move be?

Troy
01-13-2013, 04:18 PM
Film has been my life since i was in grade 5 when i first learned about my love for it. One of my major flaws in life though was ironically paying to much attention to school and less on what i wanted to do. So during high school i did not form groups or try and meet people also interested in film. I only tried to work more towards grades.

I did a little bit of filming using video games (its called machinima) where i made some decent things but i knew it was getting me no where in the real industry. Now i run into the problem that i don't know any local people interested in acting or anything nor can i really afford films.

Right now im just working on improving my knowledge on sound, music, cutting, SFX and so on.

How should i find people? Should i save up and try to get into school? How did you guys start off?

Any sort of information, tips or ideas is really appreciated. :thumb:

Nick Soares
01-13-2013, 04:44 PM
Read a book called Shot by Shot (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Film-Directing-Shot-by-Shot-motion-picture-/160493177150)

I took one semester of film and found this book to be the most helpful tool of all.

I started with wedding, learning shots, and editing with FCP (http://www.apple.com/support/finalcutpro7/) (2) **Im getting old**

I had no one to teach me, it took me 9 months to learn most of the tools.

I then saved up for a DVX-100 which back then was the hottest camera around because it could shoot in 24p (24 frames for second *progressive*)

Your biggest hurdle is going to be $$$ and where to get it.

Troy
01-13-2013, 05:05 PM
Right now im working with Sony Vegas 8 and Adobe After Effects Cs4. Witch i am getting better at but im currently building a new computer to handle some of the things i am doing.

Definitely going to buy that book as soon as i can.

I have a great ability to save money but how much should i be spending on first films that are more about learning then anything.

Nick Soares
01-13-2013, 05:24 PM
Right now im working with Sony Vegas 8 and Adobe After Effects Cs4. Witch i am getting better at but im currently building a new computer to handle some of the things i am doing.

Definitely going to buy that book as soon as i can.

I have a great ability to save money but how much should i be spending on first films that are more about learning then anything.

Let me see if I still have it, I can send it to you. Let me check

Paul77
01-15-2013, 08:33 PM
Shot by Shot is a great book. You will learn alot from it

Havey
01-15-2013, 10:24 PM
I haven't went to school for filming. I am 20 and finally starting to get a name for myself by doing film. If I can offer any type of advice it would be to be patient, don't let people get you down. If you want to do it. DO IT. Don't let anyone stop you. But if you don't start getting the views you want or the money you expected after 2 months or even 2 years, trust me, just keep working. Someone will see your talent.

I started off editing Halo montages and then got into film from there, so trust me bro. I know the feeling.

khathawayart
02-01-2013, 09:04 PM
I had the luxury of going to one of the top film schools in the country----NYU. I loved it and learned a lot there, but I also did my homework before I got there and had been making films for about 5 years before I went....so I went in with a pretty good skillset. A lot of people I met there didn't do any homework before going, which was a big surprise to me.

Film school is a good way to figure out what you want to do in the business [camera, direct, edit, costumes, etc]. In the actual film business out here in Hollywood, you have to pick one. If you already know what field you want to work in, get a job at the bottom rung--in that field--and work your way up. My wife did that [before I met her out here] and she's now an editor at the Disney studios. She started out as my assistant in the editing room on a Hollywood movie. No film school for her--it may have been easier since she was an L.A. native, but film school would not have been necessary since she figured out she wanted to be in editing.

There are pros and cons to both methods.

Kurt Hathaway
khathawayart[at]gmail.com

Nick Soares
02-04-2013, 10:16 AM
Hey Troy, I hope you are enjoying the forum. Have you figured out what your next move is yet?

Troy
02-04-2013, 04:25 PM
Hey Troy, I hope you are enjoying the forum. Have you figured out what your next move is yet?

Love the forums. Still not entirely sure on what my next big step will be. I don't want to procrastinate for to long but once I get my computer up and running ill be able to start moving forward again.

Nick Soares
02-04-2013, 04:30 PM
Ok, lets take the first few steps while you wait for you computer

*Currently, what do you have equipment wise? Camera, etc..?

Troy
02-04-2013, 06:03 PM
HD camcorder, tri-pod, Minimal lighting and editing software I guess.

I plan on getting more equipment like green screens, Sound recording devices and better lighting though.

Nick Soares
02-04-2013, 06:21 PM
HD camcorder, tri-pod, Minimal lighting and editing software I guess.

I plan on getting more equipment like green screens, Sound recording devices and better lighting though.

Ok, then here is your first assignment... :)

Write out 5 pages of a script - anything you like

Max 2 characters

When your writing your 5 pages, include the shot angles you picture in your head.

Then film it.

With all my experience, I really believe that should be your next step right now.

Troy
02-04-2013, 08:23 PM
That sounds interesting. Ok ill give it a try the only problem is that I am a one man crew so I may be stuck with 1 character. Also im not a good actor lol.

Nick Soares
02-04-2013, 10:22 PM
That sounds interesting. Ok ill give it a try the only problem is that I am a one man crew so I may be stuck with 1 character. Also im not a good actor lol.

Then it will be a one man show, just take the time to think of what you can do with one person, and execute it.

ericNCwriter
02-04-2013, 11:25 PM
Suggestion... go ahead and write the script for two and invite a buddy over. Set up the shot then forget the camera is there. Play off each other... it might loosen you up a bit. It will also give you some stuff to edit out. lol Just think Wayne's World.

Paul77
02-05-2013, 12:01 AM
Yea if you can get 2 people they definitely do that

Nick Soares
02-06-2013, 07:58 PM
Read a book called Shot by Shot (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Film-Directing-Shot-by-Shot-motion-picture-/160493177150)

I found it Troy. PM me your address and I can send it to you

Havey
02-06-2013, 08:58 PM
Troy personally when you talk about other equipment. I wouldn't go all out. Stop by your local Lowes or Home Depot and see if they have any deals on Industrial Lights. I bough 2 for 25 bucks. So good.

And build your own green screen out of green cloth. Just sew it together. That cuts about 300 bucks right there. I promise.

Troy
02-08-2013, 02:40 PM
Troy personally when you talk about other equipment. I wouldn't go all out. Stop by your local Lowes or Home Depot and see if they have any deals on Industrial Lights. I bough 2 for 25 bucks. So good.

And build your own green screen out of green cloth. Just sew it together. That cuts about 300 bucks right there. I promise.

Yes I was already planning on getting lighting from regular stores. Though I found this one site called tubetape.com witch has some decent prices on good quality muslin green screens. I have done a search around for green sheets and have come up with only 2 sheets in my entire area. Both of witch are still a little dark green and blue.

Also I appreciate all the help you guys are giving me!

khathawayart
02-09-2013, 05:15 PM
I built my own light kits with Home Depot lights and home-made PVC stands.

It's all modular, so each piece fits with other pieces...I just have to assemble it on set.

I used some info from the frugal filmmaker on youtube and made some design changes of my own to make the set more adaptable.

It's a pretty neat system...and it was a helluva lot cheaper than buying video lights at $300 a pop.

Kurt Hathaway
-------------------
VikingDream7 Productions
Video Production & Editing

khathawayart[at]gmail.com

Nick Soares
02-09-2013, 05:25 PM
http://www.digipress.us/pics/4723017951_troy-book.png

Waiting for your address :)

Troy
02-10-2013, 05:21 PM
http://www.digipress.us/pics/4723017951_troy-book.png

Waiting for your address :)

I sent you a message asking how much you want for it because i don't feel right just taking it from you. I don't know if you got it or not.

Nick Soares
02-10-2013, 05:29 PM
Ok, $5,000

Just give me your address, You are a active member here, and as promised I take care of my active members :)

Paul77
02-10-2013, 07:55 PM
That's really nice of you nick. wish i found this forum earlier this year and i wish i didnt spend as much time on those other troll infested, mean replying sites...

BLAREMedia
02-10-2013, 10:44 PM
It's most important to just go out there and make as many projects as you can. It doesn't matter what camera you are using. As long as you are increasing your skills with every project that is the important part. Use whatever you have whenever you can. Add pieces and wishlist items to each production as you go along. Try to find local groups or people on Craigslist that are making movies. Just keep pushing. Talk way less than you do and pretty soon everyone will want to work with you and there will be plenty of projects to do.