PDA

View Full Version : Any help possible.

gcj1980
01-10-2013, 02:09 AM
I've never directed nor produced a film. But I have an idea that is low budget enough to shoot myself. Played it enough in my head that I don't need the full screenplay. First I would like to make a trailer. What is a good camera and good program for editing to use? If you ever met me, you know I will make this happen.

Nick Soares
01-10-2013, 02:19 AM
That's perfect you have the "can do" attitude, its exactly what is needed for this business. Now about your camera and editing question, what is your goal exactly? To make a short film, feature, or?? What quality are you expecting, what do you want it to look like?

gcj1980
01-10-2013, 03:23 AM
That's perfect you have the "can do" attitude, its exactly what is needed for this business. Now about your camera and editing question, what is your goal exactly? To make a short film, feature, or?? What quality are you expecting, what do you want it to look like?

Let's say for a beginner. Someone who still wants to make an impression. Any length. My film is gonna be a feature. But I'm determined to get my name out there one way or another. Money is the issue for me. I work construction during the days and spend some of my free time writing out my ideas. Joining this sight has only gave me more motivation to continue writing. Almost spending every little bit of free time I have writing and figuring things out. You people have been a ton of help and a confidence builder. I've had ideas that have interested others aswell as gotten gongrads from other writers. I wanna thank you all.

Havey
01-10-2013, 08:16 AM
It all boils down to your budget when you start picking out equipment. And when it comes down to the editing software it is basically up to you. There are a couple of pro grade editing tools that aren't too terrible.

So I just need to figure out what what your budget is.

gcj1980
01-10-2013, 03:06 PM
It's just something I'm gonna save up for as soon as I know what to look for. I'm a formeman in construction and I write in my free time. Just thought I would give the directing a shot.

Havey
01-10-2013, 03:47 PM
Well since you don't have a specific budget. i'm a huge fan of DSLR camera's.

I would personally tell you to get the Canon T3i or if you want something even better, but quite a bit pricier, the Canon 7D.

Then of course get some nice lenses, a good tripod and some other equipment.

Nick Soares
01-10-2013, 05:11 PM
Ok, well I love your attitude.

Here is what you will need.

$25,000

Buy/Rent Panasonic HVX (EDIT) - Or rent a Red Epic

Horror Genre - :deadhorse: So you can sell it and make your money back

One location

Some actors - and Hot actress's

You can obviously do this for much less if you can find people to help you out and get a credit, I can guided you though this and give you priceless advice etc... Just what ever you do, dont use your friends from work

Troy
01-13-2013, 02:23 PM
I do a little editing myself the 2 main programs i used is adobe after effects and vegas 8. Though these programs are not cheap and im currently trying to learn more about after effects but in my opinion are really great.

Though i am an noob at film so i may not have the best advice.

khathawayart
01-14-2013, 07:07 PM
First I would like to make a trailer. What is a good camera and good program for editing to use?

==============================

If you're just starting out, just use whatever you can get your hands on before sinking real $$ into a longer-form project.

Camera: anything that captures a moving image...you'll probably record audio through the camera at first, so you won't need a mic input jack. Eventually, you will--as your projects become more complex and more pro. There's no "right" camera. It depends on your budget and what you want to see after you shoot. To start, though--anything is fine.

Editing: I use both Avid and Final Cut pro--both high-end apps for editing. Others available are Sony Vegas, Adobe Premiere Pro. Look around and buy what you can--used older versions on eBay, for instance. You can probably even start out with iMovie at first--but you'll want to upgrade pretty quick from there.

Adobe After Effects is a must-have in my app toolbox, but I do a lot of graphics work that needs to look slick. You can probably get by with simple titles in iMovie or any of the other editing apps.

Kurt Hathaway
-------------------
VikingDream7 Productions
Video Production & Editing

Nick Soares
01-15-2013, 10:21 AM
I've never directed nor produced a film. But I have an idea that is low budget enough to shoot myself. Played it enough in my head that I don't need the full screenplay. First I would like to make a trailer. What is a good camera and good program for editing to use? If you ever met me, you know I will make this happen.

How do you feel now, better? What are your plans?

Terry W Drake
01-15-2013, 06:25 PM
I found trying to do my first film to be extremely hard! I was proud and thought I could do anything, I was wrong. Take the advice you get here, and learn learn learn!

Jfvideos
01-15-2013, 07:22 PM
$5000 budget.

Canon t3i with kit lens and a 50mm 1.8 lens = $900
Computer with a quad processor and 32 gigs of ram = 1500
Wireless seinhouser mics for two people = $900
Zoom h4n sound recorder = $300
cheap decent lighting kit =$400
Glideshot jib crane with fancier heavy duty tripod = $400
Kamera slider with manfrotto joystick for dollying and 2 cheap tripods to hold it up = $400

$4800 total. Use final $200 to buy older edition of premiere pro and after effects from ebay.

Paul77
01-15-2013, 08:32 PM
^ What he said

ROBOT
01-15-2013, 08:47 PM
User = Jfvideos

Congrats! Your account has been promoted to "Pro Member" do you your recent activity.

Your Friend,

ROBOT

Havey
01-15-2013, 10:22 PM
Robot rocking the purple name. Kind of cool.

ericNCwriter
01-15-2013, 10:55 PM
$5000 budget.

Canon t3i with kit lens and a 50mm 1.8 lens = $900
Wireless seinhouser mics for two people = $900
Zoom h4n sound recorder = $300
cheap decent lighting kit =$400
Glideshot jib crane with fancier heavy duty tripod = $400
Kamera slider with manfrotto joystick for dollying and 2 cheap tripods to hold it up = $400

$4800 total. Use final $200 to buy older edition of premiere pro and after effects from ebay.

Many of these items I've seen listed on Craigslist being sold by photographers/videographers who have upgraded. Check your local listings and see what you can find. You may be able to save some money but be careful and make sure you know it works before you buy it.

Troy
01-19-2013, 01:10 AM

32 Gigs of ram may be a little overkill. As of right now i think 16 would give you the most bang for your buck, also computers do wear out overtime so once 32 gigs is necessary you will end up needing to replace.

ericNCwriter
01-19-2013, 09:25 AM
32 Gigs of ram may be a little overkill. As of right now i think 16 would give you the most bang for your buck, also computers do wear out overtime so once 32 gigs is necessary you will end up needing to replace.

I agree. A tech buddy of mine recently built a system with an 8 core processor and 16 Gb RAM. I'd say that would be enough, and I'm thinking it was much less than $1500.

khathawayart
02-01-2013, 09:16 PM
If you've not directed or produced before--or are in other ways a "noob", as they say, I highly recommend you not start with a feature film.

That, of course, depends on your expectations of said film.

If the plan is to make the film, have a studio buy it--and make a million dollars---well, then that's just not a good plan. Even with highly experienced people, this plan is likely to fail. Factor in "noobs" and it's even harder.

BUT--If the plan is to make a feature film with no prior experience -- make all the mistakes in the book--wind up with a film that's unwatchable--and learn from your experience for the next project---that's more reasonable. But it's unfair to those who helped you make the film--actors and techs who worked hard, likely for free--and have nothing to show.

Start small--make short films based on what you've learned by watching films or reading books. Make the mistakes on a 3-minute film. Learn from that--then make a 7-minute film. Work out the kinks in your style--make a 15-minute film. A good short film is worth waaa-aay more than a badly made feature.

Besides, financing a short film yourself is more realistic.

Kurt Hathaway
khathawayart[at]gmail.com

Nick Soares
02-04-2013, 02:18 AM
gcj1980

Whats new, how are you feeling about this. You seem to have a good about of great people on the forum here willing to help