PDA

View Full Version : A few questions

gcj1980
01-08-2013, 09:17 PM
I'm new to screenwriting and I have a few questions. The first being, why are short scripts so popular? Two, What is the advantage of having someone produce a short film? and three..... Exactly how long does a short script have to be?

Thanks

Nick Soares
01-08-2013, 09:36 PM
Shorts are not so much more popular, its just you hear more about them because writers dont know what to do without them once they are completed.

Shorts are great for showing your work, they can show how you can light a movie, direct, act, create a demo reel to help get a job, etc..

Here are a couple articles here that might be related to this

How to sell a script (http://www.filmmakerforum.org/articles/164-how-sell-script.html)

Small Projects (http://www.filmmakerforum.org/articles/1124-start-small.html)

Havey
01-08-2013, 09:48 PM
Short scripts are popular because they usually cost so much less to film. Also a lot of Indie Filmmakers would rather have a couple of solid short films under their belt instead of a sloppy feature. So usually Indie Filmmakers are the ones buying up the short scripts.

And as Nick said, for showing your work. But you could have an amazing script and sell or give it to a horrible producer/director and they could butcher it. So be very cautious of who you sell to. Do your homework.

As for the length of the script. Short films are usually between 7-15 minutes. Some (very rarely) are less and some are longer. As for the amount of detail you want to put into the script they could range from quite a few different lengths of pages.

Tito Pinto
01-08-2013, 10:05 PM
The cost of short scripts makes them popular!
They are a good way to show or work and save some cash...
Short scripts are often used to develop techniques and take a chance ;)

gcj1980
01-08-2013, 10:24 PM
I think what I'm gathering is one they will never be huge in publicity. However, they can slowly get your name out there not only as a writer but a director aswell?

Havey
01-08-2013, 10:48 PM
I think what I'm gathering is one they will never be huge in publicity. However, they can slowly get your name out there not only as a writer but a director aswell?

Eh that is not entirely true. Right now I'm doing shorts solely based on the fact they are pretty cheap to budget. But they can for sure make you some money if you seriously put some effort into them. Also you have film festivals which usually you can enter short films as well.

But yes, its an amazing way to get your name out there and show your talents.

Tito Pinto
01-08-2013, 10:57 PM
Shorts are cheap but they also mean a lot o work, don't forget about that!
We must put effort on them if we want to withdraw some money ;)

You can read this text because it sort of talks about "small projects": http://www.filmmakerforum.org/articles/1124-start-small.html

Larry
01-09-2013, 03:04 PM
Shorts are great for getting recognition - showing your talents - submitting to festivals for possible feature funding - BUT not for making money.