PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on High Frame Rate films? (I think that's what it's called)

myownself
01-03-2013, 10:37 AM
Personally, I think it makes things look to real. Before I knew that it was an actually way of filming, I just thought it was a show or film that was poorly edited. It makes everything look like a soap opera to me. I also think it makes a lot of acting look cheesy.

I want to know all your opinions because obviously there are people that really like this still of film. For example, look at the show Doctor Who. Everybody seems to love it but I get turned off by the HFR film.

Nick Soares
01-03-2013, 04:17 PM
High frame rate is very annoying to me as well, but most big films are shot on 24fps and then are projected on a very high megahertz TV - This is normally what give the soap opera look, and yes I hate it as well. When I was 18 years old I got my first video camera, I tried to my first film and was sooooo frustrated with the way it looked, I couldn't figure out why it was so Soap Opera'y - This curiosity is what led me to making films myself, and also let me to getting my first 24fps video camera the DVX-100 - Nowadays there are video cameras out there that you cant tell the difference between film and video.

khathawayart
01-05-2013, 01:32 AM
High frame rate and editing are two different things, so they're not related.

But I wasn't aware that Dr. Who is shot at a HFR...is that true?

My daughter is a fan, and I've seen maybe 2 eps, and I enjoyed them...but didn't notice the HFR. The editing is wonderful, BTW!

I know that the Hobbit was shot at--what is it--48 FPS...?

Haven't seen it yet, but am wondering how it looks.

I'm perfectly happy with 24 FPS as the norm...and it's funny that so many video-makers are looking to make their videos look like film...then to have a big-budget film come along to look more like video.

But I'll have to see it myself to make any kind of judgement.

Kurt Hathaway
-------------------
VikingDream7 Productions
Video Production & Editing

khathawayart[at]gmail.com

Nick Soares
01-05-2013, 01:51 AM
The Hobbit was shot on 48 FPS? Interesting, I did not know that. I know that I watched it in 24FPS because the theater project, still cool info

Jsthompson79
01-05-2013, 08:07 AM
The film was actually released in three formats. 3D HFR, 3D and 2D. Only the 3D HFR was 48 FPS. I have not seen any of them yet so I can't comment on whether or not I like them.

Havey
01-05-2013, 10:02 AM
Yep. The #D HFR was 48. Everyone was extremely skeptical about it. Its pretty blatantly obvious when you watch the film.

Vance Baryn
07-15-2013, 09:25 AM
Is that what's wrong with Doctor Who? I love Doctor Who and have ever since I was a very young child, but I agree that these newer ones seem to be off somehow in their look. I describe it as looking cartoony but that description is probably only meaningful to me. Whatever it is, I don't like it.

spacecadetmotionpictures
07-15-2013, 03:26 PM
Amen, myownself!

I get a kick out of your story Nick. That was almost word for word how I felt when I first started with my first video camera... So frustrating! It wasn't until over ten years after that, that I finally learned about Framerates.

I think there is a real push/pull fight happening with video technology right now. Those who are creating the new technology view 24FPS as being a technical limitation that they can "fix", and so have put a lot of effort into using this faster technology to offer the maximum framerates possible. For us filmmakers, I think some of us are a bit worried that we'll be forced into higher framerates because of this. But I know, no matter how many frames a TV can flash per second, that I will be sticking to 24FPS because it feels right for cinema, not because I am limited by technology. I have even made a concerted effort to show all of my friends and family how to turn off the ridiculous high refresh rates on their new TVs... The only medium it really suits is modern gaming.

On this note, I shared a bit of a tip in the thread that i debuted by short film, HUNDRED$, that I would like to share here:

If you are stuck shooting footage with a camera that is unable to shoot in 24 progressive frames (mine can only shoot in 60 fps interlaced), the raw footage will look like soap opera video, and I'm sure this frustrates many, but don't fret! Simply use your editing program, such as Adobe Premiere Pro, to convert it to 24 progressive frames. The easiest way to do this, is to create your project in a 24 frames per second (progressive) mode. You will get warnings when you drop your footage into the timeline asking you to change the project settings, but don't! Tell it to keep the project settings and Premiere (or any other editing program, I'm sure) will de-interlace the footage and use some voodoo magic to drop and blend frames to the slower frame-rate, resulting in a much more cinematic looking finished product. It's not perfect or ideal, but it works with what you got. The only real downside to doing this however, is that your overall render times will be very long, so patience is key.

Anonymous Filmmaker
07-15-2013, 05:02 PM
I haven't really seen enough high frame rate stuff to give my opinion, but subbing for more info.

Chan Walrus
07-17-2013, 07:45 AM
I'd say some high frame rate stuff is alright, though I will agree that it can make acting look sketchy, as an actor myself, having tried it, though it's a good way of spotting one's weaknesses to film oneself in HFR, then look back and weep, then correct. :D I would like to say for the record that New Doctor Who is direly scripted, and the music is atrocious! :P