PDA

View Full Version : Is this as good of an opportunity as it sounds?

myownself
01-03-2013, 10:24 AM
So I have a roommate right now who has a good friend in LA who has a company started. They have a couple short films published but nothing big yet. My roommates friend, as of right now, has to finish up some stuff in the Navy. He has somebody else in charge right now and is making my roommate Co-manager after we finish this semester. My roommate told me that there's a really good chance that he could get me a spot on the team as well. Am I crazy, or is this an awesome opportunity. I'm new to this field and this way I would be able to have a very smooth start for my career.

Nick Soares
01-03-2013, 04:11 PM
Ok so some questions.

Will you have to move?

Do you have a place to stay?

How will you make money to live?

myownself
01-04-2013, 01:00 AM
1. yes

2. I might have connections with a friend that I can live with, but I may have to live in the cheapest apartment possible.

3. The position under the company is most likely going to be paid.

Nick Soares
01-04-2013, 01:55 AM
1. yes

2. I might have connections with a friend that I can live with, but I may have to live in the cheapest apartment possible.

3. The position under the company is most likely going to be paid.

Let me review this tomorrow and I will give you my final opinion

myownself
01-04-2013, 07:41 AM
Thanks. :)

Oh, I forgot to mention that during the summer and part of fall me and my roommate are going to be making some short films in order to get our feet wet so we don't freak out as much when we get to LA. I'm also getting a job in the summer to put some money aside.

Jsthompson79
01-04-2013, 08:51 AM
In my opinion it sounds too good to be true. Anyone making shorts more than likely doesn't have enough money to pay employees. Have you researched the cost of living for apartments in the area? Have you figured out what kind of job you can get to pay your cost of living? How far of a movie is it for you to get to LA?

myownself
01-04-2013, 09:13 AM
Cost of living shouldn't be a huge problem. They don't JUST make shorts. They're just a somewhat new company so they just started out with some shorts. We're also going to be doing features as well. The job with the company is going to be a paid job (it's not a huge company so there is money to pay everybody) and I'm going to look for another part time job with it. I may do some freelance writing or something...sell some scripts that I'll write.

Nick Soares
01-04-2013, 01:20 PM
Ok cool, if your position will be paid thats great! Just make sure you do you expenses list to make sure the money getting paid is enough to cover your living costs. If its not, then you might find yourself in a world of hurt and it might turn you off from the industry, so just be careful

myownself
01-05-2013, 12:10 AM
Yeah. There isn't a day that goes by where I don't think about what I'm going to do. I have a lot of planning to do but it's going to be worth it.