PDA

View Full Version : Fight to Fly. Fly to Live. Live to Inspire...

Fight2Fly
12-04-2012, 01:54 AM
I. Love. Airplanes. I've been in love with aviation ever since I was a little kid. I began flying when I was thirteen, and received my pilots certificate right after high school. After college, I began to pursue aviation photography and in the six years since then, it has presented some incredible experiences for me. It seems weird to say, but my camera has gotten me into more cockpits than my license has!

Among the amazing community of photographers that has grown in the recent years, I am the only person shooting video. A task I'm taking very seriously, despite some shortcomings in proper video equipment.

The last year and a half I've been shooting video exclusively at events, and am now getting to a point where I NEED to step up the game. Fellow photographers and museums are beginning to look to me for potential promotional videos. Plus, I want to do some projects myself and take a look beyond the sheet metal and rivets that hold these planes together.

I'm lining up a series of interviews for this coming spring and summer to help provide the full story that these amazing pieces of history have to tell. I'm going to talk with mechanics, restorers, historians, pilots, and most important of all, veterans.

Unfortunately I'm only a substitute teacher in an area with a rather saturated market, and I can't afford the big ticket item - the video camera. I'm using a Canon HG20 which is beginning to show its age and I fear it will not make it through another summer.

Thanks to my family and friends, I have accumulated some video accessories, such as an external microphone, studio lights, green-screen, and a new fluid pan head for my tripod (which I've never used before! All my video is hand-held using a custom made PVC camera rig).

Specifically I'm holding out for the Panasonic AG HMC-80.

The money that I raise goes directly toward that camera, and only that camera.

Before you take a look at my fundraising page, I want you to watch a couple of the videos I have put together. These are videos I put together mostly out of curiosity, just to see what I could do with some fun editing. Most of the videos I post are pretty raw - which is how my fans prefer it, actually.

This is the most recent. Three of the planes you'll see in this video are the only ones of their kind still flying. Many others represent less than 5. One aircraft is the sole survivor out of more than 40,000 produced during WWII.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZMNBQEcWFE

Fight to Fly. Fly to Live. Live to Inspire. by Jason Fortenbacher - GoFundMe (http://www.gofundme.com/Fight2Fly)

Thank you for your consideration,

Jason

Fight2Fly
01-17-2013, 01:56 AM
This video was created based on an actual conversation I had with an individual online. It was also an attempt at using some new features on my video editing program. The message behind this video really sums up my entire mission with shooting video of these WWII aircraft.

Why Keep them Flying? (With Music) - YouTube (http://youtu.be/2d-7eMf7uvo)

Fight2Fly
01-17-2013, 01:59 AM
I'm very pleased with how this turned out. Again, it was an excuse to experiment with some new effects. How do you folks like what I've done with this one?

http://youtu.be/QN2gfuPo9nM

Fight2Fly
01-17-2013, 02:09 AM
My latest video, created yesterday using footage from a five-aircraft formation flight over the Cascade Mountains. I had a really tough time with white balance due to slight tinting in the plexiglass I had to shoot through. Also, for some reason, my camera just shot some scenes with an extreme blue cast. Luckily I was able to salvage those to usable levels.

There were seven other photographers, meaning we had at least one in every plane, so the flight was covered by every angle. There is also video from two other aircraft, and were meeting this week to transfer that footage to me. So in addition to the footage I have, I will be putting together a (hopefully) spectacular video of the flight we had. Most importantly, we have five VERY pleased pilots who are already making plans for the next flight. This time over the San Juan Islands!

I shot 1,600 still photos and shot 40 min of video with my camcorder, and then 90 minutes worth on my GoPro. We had two additional GoPro cameras plus another camcorder. In all I will have some 300 minutes of video to choose from. By far my biggest project yet!

Enjoy!!

Distant Dreams - Formation - YouTube (http://youtu.be/I--ucgtgfC4)

Nick Soares
01-17-2013, 02:18 AM
From Photography to video - Isn't it amazing! You are doing so good. Very proud of you!

Fight2Fly
01-21-2013, 12:57 AM
From Photography to video - Isn't it amazing! You are doing so good. Very proud of you!

Thank you, Nick! :-)

Nick Soares
01-21-2013, 01:28 AM
I finally figure out how to get GoFundMe widget to work in our promoted section on homepage. Still needs a bit of work as GoFundMe has some goofy code to offer us :) But its there

Fight2Fly
01-22-2013, 04:27 PM
That's awesome, thank you Nick! :-)

Fight2Fly
01-28-2013, 10:13 AM
I thought I would share that I added reward items for those who contribute. For $15 and $25 you get a key chain (I'll probably throw in a couple small prints as well), for $50 you will receive a 15 oz. mug, and for $100 you receive a 10.75" wall clock. All feature designs exclusively for my fundraiser. The summer flying season is rapidly approaching, and I'm becoming more and more desperate. lol

This last Friday I captured my first warbird footage, of a Grumman F6F-5N Hellcat firing up for the first time in nearly 20 years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5hHSsJazyQ

This definitely is not too exciting as far as filmmaking is concerned, however, it is 14 minutes of pure joy for my followers. There are nearly 20 restored WWII aircraft which will be finishing up their annual inspections within the next two to three months, which should keep me pretty busy.